Building a Linux based desktop pc for photo editing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
domromer
Level 1
Level 1

Building a Linux based desktop pc for photo editing

Post by domromer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:51 am

My 2011 mbp is finally dying after replacing everything that could be replaced numerous times over the years. I was looking at new macs and was shocked to see nearly nothing can be upgraded over time like ram, HD, or battery.

I'm thinking of building a desktop pc with mint. I do a lot of photo editing. Right now I use LR but I'd switch over to an open source app.

Mainly in wondering how do I spec parts that are all Linux friendly? Is there an app with a parts picker? This would be my first build so I'm starting with zero knowledge other than some youtube videos that I've watched.

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Building a Linux based desktop pc for photo editing

Post by kc1di » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:08 am

This page maybe of help. https://kitchentablecomputers.com/linux3.php
#1 don't go for cutting edge equipment. It sometimes takes awhile for Linux drivers to catch-up and many have to be reversed engineered because the Manufacturers do not release their driver codes.

good Luck and enjoy the learning process.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:30 am

This list gives Ubuntu certified machines. I know you are looking for parts. See if this helps.
https://certification.ubuntu.com/deskto ... ndors=Dell
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:32 am

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 am

I'll leave you to others on hardware, but strongly suggest that, as a current Adobe user with a working Mac, you try out the multi-platform post-processing and image organization alternatives that will work on your current system before leaping into the unknown. Read up on what it might mean for workflow, current habits and compatibility with your cameras and smartphones. I currently use the Mac-compatible Darktable for RAW, and XnViewMP as a quick viewer/editor, on both Windows and Mint. RawTherapee and the GIMP (a Photoshop alternative with RAW support and a big plug in library) are also available for Apple. They behave differently from each other and from Adobe products, and might or might not be to your taste - settle your mind about that before investing dollars and time on machinery.
Last edited by I2k4 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M18.3 XFCE (Dell 1520) 32 bit. Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop) 64 bit.

wwfwng
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wwfwng » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:31 am

I also recommend going to https://pcpartpicker.com/ to make sure the hardware itself is compatible (and to comparison shop).

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:19 am

+1 for the comments from I2k4
Switching from LR/PS to a Linux solution will require you to change your workflow. I made the transition a couple years ago, and I used it as an opportunity to revise and improve the entire process. The primary components to my workflow are darktable, digiKam, GIMP, XnView MP, and ImageMagick.

Both darktable and RawTherapee are excellent RAW developers, and should be a satisfactory replacement for Lightroom for you. I use darktable because it allows for selective editing and I prefer the way it handles noise reduction. I found RawTherapee easier to learn to use than darktable.

GIMP is a very good image editor, and I think it is almost as capable as Photoshop for editing photographs. Photoshop users like to complain the GIMP user interface is “confusing” and “illogical,” but I never found the Photoshop UI to be logical or intuitive - it just was familiar.

If you like to use Lightroom and Photoshop together, RAW importers for darktable and RawTherapee are available for GIMP.

I also like/use/recommend XnView MP for viewing images. It has a nice set of basic image editing tools, but I never use it for that. The version in Software Manager is a flatpak, and I never had any use for it. You can download the .DEB at https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/ .

XnView MP is also available as an AppImage. You can download it at https://download.xnview.com/

domromer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by domromer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:54 am

I2k4 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 am
I'll leave you to others on hardware, but strongly suggest that, as a current Adobe user with a working Mac, you try out the multi-platform post-processing and image organization alternatives that will work on your current system before leaping into the unknown. Read up on what it might mean for workflow, current habits and compatibility with your cameras and smartphones. I currently use the Mac-compatible Darktable for RAW, and XnView as a quick viewer/editor, on both Windows and Mint. RawTherapee and the GIMP (a Photoshop alternative with RAW support and a big plug in library) are also available for Apple. They behave differently from each other and from Adobe products, and might or might not be to your taste - settle your mind about that before investing dollars and time on machinery.
Ever since LR went to a subscription model I've been thinking of jumping ship. I've been using LR since version one but have been stuck on version 5 since I won't buy a subscription. I've been testing out photo software in my mint laptop but never commited because my Mac kept chugging along. So far I like rawtherapee the best. I newer got along with dark table. But I also never had to commit to learning a new editing software.

Return to “Newbie Questions”