[SOLVED] Firefox has stopped working

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Firefox has stopped working

Post by jollyjack » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:39 am

The home page is "www.google.co.uk", but when I try and get there, it hangs. There's a little message in the bottom corner that says "waiting for consent.google.com". Google works OK if I use Chrome, and Firefox/Google works OK if I use a W10 laptop I have. I've re-installed Firefox, but nothing changed.

Any help, please?

Thanks
Last edited by jollyjack on Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Firefox has stopped working

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:26 am

I'm in Oklahoma, USA...

clicked on your ....UK link and Google came right up, just as fast as google.com does.

I'm using Firefox also...

do you have a Firewall that might be giving you trouble? don't sound like it though, if the other browsers work.

can you get to the google.UK link by manually clicking on your own link above?

go into preferences ( Alt-E, 'n' ) and then to 'Privacy" and then "manage DATA"
type 'google' and delete all references to it that you find. there might be a bad cookie giving trouble.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:39 am

Hello, Jollyjack.

Like AZgl1500 before me told, my Firefox 68.0, too, visits www.google.co.uk without problems or delay. In case it is merely www.google.co.uk, which gives you temporary trouble in Firefox on Linux Mint, then this does not mean that "Firefox has stopped working". Or can you reproduce the same issue on other pages as well?
Do as advised by AZgl1500, please. You might also instruct Firefox to clear its cache completely, shutdown Firefox and restart Firefox. Maybe this will resolve the issue.
You might also try to go to "Help" (inside Firefox) => "Restart without Add-ons". Frequently inexplicable problems are caused by Firefox add-ons. So restarting with all add-ons disabled might make the problem go away. In case it does, you should selectively re-enable your add-ons till the problem re-occurs. The add-on, which you re-enabled last, will be to be blamed.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.2 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:03 am

Thanks for the quick replies, people.

I've fixed the problem, whatever it was. I deleted my FF profile then synched it with my FF account. Apart from having to make a few adjustments, it's back the way it was.

Thanks again

Return to “Newbie Questions”