Dell c1760nw printer with 19.2

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
dvd8n
Level 1
Level 1

Dell c1760nw printer with 19.2

Post by dvd8n » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:24 pm

I had my Dell c1760nw printer working with 19.1 - it did admittedly take some research; the following was particularly helpful:

http://codefucius.blogspot.com/2014/03/ ... er-up.html

Seemingly the printer is a re badged Xerox Phaser 6000B - Xerox provides Linux drivers but only 32 bit ones.

I got the printer working using the following in 19.1:

sudo apt-get install libcupsimage2:i386
Then, download the Ubuntu/.deb drivers from Xerox for their Phaser 6000 model:
http://www.support.xerox.com/support/ph ... stem=linux
and install them.
sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6

But in 19.2 I get the error dialogue when printing the test page:

Print Error
There was a problem processing document 'Test Page' (job 11).

Can anyone suggest how to proceed?

David

dvd8n
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dell c1760nw printer with 19.2

Post by dvd8n » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 am

I found this in the error logs:

Code: Select all

[2363]: error: Failed to create /var/spool/cups/tmp/.hplip

michael-hi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michael-hi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:20 pm

That second error message seems odd as 'hplip' refers to the driver package for HP printers, whereas yours is supposedly a Xerox rebadged as Dell. It is as though your computer is trying to print the test page to an HP printer - and failing.

So I wonder if you also have an HP printer and whether that is set as the default? Also, you explain how you got the printer working in 19.1 but you don't mention if you repeated the whole procedure for 19.2 including the installation of the extra 32-bit packages needed for your (presumably) 64-bit system. Are you sure these successfully installed? Are you sure your 19.1 installation didn't have other 32-bit packages as well?

I see from another post that you did a fresh install of 19.2 on a separate partition from your 19.1 installation. If you had simply upgraded from 19.1 to 19.2 you probably wouldn't have needed to do anything. I have an ancient Lexmark printer which has only a 32-bit driver. It was working under Mint 19.1 (64-bit) and continued to work after that was upgraded to 19.2.

I'm sorry I have no specific solution (apart from maybe installing 32-bit Mint instead!) but I wish you luck in resolving this.

HAWR
Level 3
Level 3

Post by HAWR » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Hello dvd8n,

I don't know whether you know this website. Maybe it could help:

http://douglask.fog.org/home/xerox-phaser-6010n

dvd8n
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dvd8n » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 am

michael-hi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:20 pm
That second error message seems odd as 'hplip' refers to the driver package for HP printers, whereas yours is supposedly a Xerox rebadged as Dell. It is as though your computer is trying to print the test page to an HP printer - and failing.

So I wonder if you also have an HP printer and whether that is set as the default? Also, you explain how you got the printer working in 19.1 but you don't mention if you repeated the whole procedure for 19.2 including the installation of the extra 32-bit packages needed for your (presumably) 64-bit system. Are you sure these successfully installed? Are you sure your 19.1 installation didn't have other 32-bit packages as well?

I see from another post that you did a fresh install of 19.2 on a separate partition from your 19.1 installation. If you had simply upgraded from 19.1 to 19.2 you probably wouldn't have needed to do anything. I have an ancient Lexmark printer which has only a 32-bit driver. It was working under Mint 19.1 (64-bit) and continued to work after that was upgraded to 19.2.

I'm sorry I have no specific solution (apart from maybe installing 32-bit Mint instead!) but I wish you luck in resolving this.
No, the Dell/Xerox is the only printer, and yes, it's 64 bit.

As far as I remember I repeated the same sequence as in 19.1 but I do have to admit to trying other debugging stuff on 19.1 before installing the 32 bit lib32stdc libraries which seemed to be the step that made it all work. Maybe some of the stuff that I did (deinstalling/reinstalling with different options) made it work but I don't know if that's likely, or whether the order that I did stuff was significant somehow and I got lucky.

The 19.1 didn't have a whole load of extra stuff installed - the only big omission is virtual box which I guess I could install as I intend to anyway.

I didn't upgrade 19.1 for two reasons - I wanted to get root off a drive that I intended to replace and I wanted to start fresh in 19.2 as I'd spent a bit of time playing with 19.1 not really knowing what I was doing and I wanted to get to a new good baseline.

I've got no great affection for the Dell but it works pretty well and I've a bit of money invested in consumables so it would be a shame to just bin it. But next time I'll find something with better Linux support.

Thanks, David
Last edited by dvd8n on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dvd8n
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dvd8n » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:24 am

HAWR wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:46 pm
Hello dvd8n,

I don't know whether you know this website. Maybe it could help:

http://douglask.fog.org/home/xerox-phaser-6010n
I hadn't seen that site but I'll try some of the steps on there too.

Thanks. David

michael-hi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michael-hi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi, David

A couple of further thoughts struck me. The 'hplip' thing reminded me that many laser printers are/were compatible with HP's printer language, I suppose because HP Laserjets are in a way the archetypal laser printer. Unfortunately, a quick look at the Dell and Xerox info online gives no indication that this is the case for your model. However, I cannot help wondering if there is some commonality. For instance, a basic HP driver might print for you in black and white but not colour.

So you could try booting a live USB version of Mint 19.2 (which I believe incorporates HPLIP and some other basic drivers) and then add your printer to see if Mint finds a driver for it automatically and prints. Or if it offers a list of drivers, you could see if this includes any Dell or Xerox printers similar in model number to yours, or failing that go for some generic HP Laserjet or HP PCL option. Being a Live USB, the added printer will not survive a reboot but the advantage is it could help you experiment a little bit without messing up your system.

The other suggestion: if you still can't get the 32-bit Phaser 6000 driver to work on Mint 19.2, might it be worth trying the driver for the Phaser 6020?
https://www.support.xerox.com/support/p ... stem=linux

This looks as if it might be a later version of the same printer, but in this case the ZIP download contains both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers.

Obviously, no guarantee either of the above suggestions will work, but they might be worth a try if you are minded to experiment...

Return to “Printers & Scanners”