special sound effects

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

special sound effects

Post by ckonn »

hello,
would it be nice if there were some 'special sound effects' when the mouse cursor moves over the icons of the panel or when it moves over the icons of the directories or when we open a directory. just like the special sound effects when we play a pc-game. they could be implemented in 'compiz' among the other special effects that already exist.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: special sound effects

Post by Pierre »

that's one of the reasons, that I've always Enabled Gnome Log-In Sounds,
as that is still one sound, that I'm always seeking.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

ckonn wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 am hello,
would it be nice if there were some 'special sound effects' when the mouse cursor moves over the icons of the panel or when it moves over the icons of the directories or when we open a directory. just like the special sound effects when we play a pc-game. they could be implemented in 'compiz' among the other special effects that already exist.
I can't imagine anything more irritating, but to each his own.
Cliff Coggin
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ckonn »

why my proposal is so irritating to you? have you never played pc games?
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:20 pm
ckonn wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 am hello,
I can't imagine anything more irritating, but to each his own.
I totally agree.
Going back to my Windows XP days the system sounds was something I always killed. Those banal sounds drove me mad!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ckonn wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 am just like the special sound effects when we play a pc-game. they could be implemented in 'compiz' among the other special effects that already exist.
Linux Mint does not write the code for compiz (or MATE or Xfce).

That would be something I would turn off if something like that was enabled. I don't like my computer making any more sounds than necessary.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

Wooosh, plop, sssjoef, wooosh, ting, plop, wooosh, whoop, ting.... :lol:
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

I'd like to echo this sentiment.

One of the things that makes some operating systems (and even game consoles) memorable and nostalgic is the sounds they use when you bootup, shutdown, crash, or interact with the interface. Macintosh's bootup sound, Windows XP's shutdown sound, and others have seen years of use and are remembered decades later.

For the sake of Linux I think these would serve a nice cosmetic flourish, and to be honest I think some of the sounds Linux Mint has already used are quite good. However, on an entirely practical level, there are still other sounds, than what are currently available, that would be helpful to edit, namely knowing when background operations are beginning or completing without having to see it or allow a pop-over notification.

Some useful sounds could be:
- when a download is completed
- when an update is completed
- when a file is compressed or uncompressed
- when an error occurs/Cinnamon crashes

It would also be nice to have sfx for when a file to moved to the Trash, or the Trash is emptied, or when a screenshot is taken.

Strangely, there are serviceable FreeDesktop and legacy Linux Mint sounds for many of these things, but there's just no option in the Sounds menu to assign them to these specific actions.

viewtopic.php?t=387956
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 & LMDE 6
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Processor, 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM
256GB PCle NVMe M.2 SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ckonn »

by the way it will be cool if the user can add a certain aoudio-file of his choice when moving the mouse cursor over the icons of the folders. just like by the android phones - add a melody as a ringtone.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”