Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
brancalessio
Level 1
Level 1

System tray icons do not load correctly in Cinnamon

Post by brancalessio » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:02 am

Hello everyone!

The issue appears in Linux Mint 19.2 Tina Cinnamon 64 bit (but I had actually the same issue with an older release).

I added to the startup applications a couple of programs which I would like to be started with cinnamon (that is to say, Redshift and Tomboy). It seems that this interferes with the loading of the icon of Mint Update Manager (the icon is not loaded, that is, you see an empty black block where the icon should be or only a small part of the icon is shown). This could happen also with other icons (for example, the one of Tomboy).

There is a workaround. In the startup application list you can set a delay for an program to start. Mint Update Manager starts 20 seconds after Cinnamon. If I set Redshift to start 60 seconds and Tomboy 90 seconds after Cinnamon it works good (more or less).

It seems that the loading of an icon interferes with the loading of other icons. The situation get also worse when you would like to start Skype and Dropbox automatically at login. For some reason these programs overwrite the delay setting you may have set in the startup application list and the start immediately (after zero seconds). Since the icon of Dropbox is continuously changing while it synchronizes, it makes really a mess with unloaded icons in system tray.

That the loading of an icon interferes with the loading of other icons is quite clear, because if a start manually Mint Update Manager, wait it loads, then Redshift, wait it loads, and so on... then it is fine.

Is there a solution for this issue?

I think this post is somehow related to viewtopic.php?t=299561 and viewtopic.php?t=298978 .

Thanks for your answers!

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: System tray icons do not load correctly in Cinnamon

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Right click desktop panel. Select "Trouble shoot". Select " Restart Cinnamon".
This worked for 1 user particularly well.

I did the following which worked as well:
Right click desktop panel. Open "Panel Settings". Change the tray icons size back and forth.

pantheistic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pantheistic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 pm

As per my post viewtopic.php?f=47&t=299561#p1670464

I had same issue with my Update Manager icon. Following OP advice, I went to Startup Applications, and noticed that both my Update Manager and Flatpak updater had same delay start time (20 secs), so I increased Flatpak by 5 seconds. UM loaded correctly on reboot, and has continued to work since.

What I find interesting is that my father's computer was updated to 19.2 on the same day, and he doesn't have any issues with tray icons. (He only has the default tray icons). I have "Timer with Notifications" and "Redshift" added to mine. Perhaps this issue only affects users with additional icons?

brancalessio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brancalessio » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:30 am

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 pm
Right click desktop panel. Select "Trouble shoot". Select " Restart Cinnamon".
This worked for 1 user particularly well.
This usually worked, but I would like not to have to do it.
I did the following which worked as well:
Right click desktop panel. Open "Panel Settings". Change the tray icons size back and forth.
In my computer it does not solve the problem, if present. At the next login, the problem is back again.

brancalessio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brancalessio » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:31 am

pantheistic wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I had same issue with my Update Manager icon. Following OP advice, I went to Startup Applications, and noticed that both my Update Manager and Flatpak updater had same delay start time (20 secs), so I increased Flatpak by 5 seconds. UM loaded correctly on reboot, and has continued to work since.

What I find interesting is that my father's computer was updated to 19.2 on the same day, and he doesn't have any issues with tray icons. (He only has the default tray icons). I have "Timer with Notifications" and "Redshift" added to mine. Perhaps this issue only affects users with additional icons?
I will try this.

cgagnor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cgagnor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:50 am

Hello, having same issue :( on two mint machine, one solved by using time delay management (moving delay up and down), the other ones nothing... tried everything and still got the icon missing. In my case is the Psensor icon tray adding that add the trouble to update icon. Let me know if you find some solution.

brancalessio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brancalessio » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 am

pantheistic wrote:

I tried this:
  • Mint Update Manager after 20 seconds (standard)
    Flatpack Updates after 25 seconds
    Redshift-gtk after 40 seconds
    Tomboy after 60 seconds
It seems to work! Now I want to see what happens if I add Dropbox and Skype.

cgagnor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cgagnor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Hello, I have made some test, if you would find it useful, clean install 19.2 cinnamon nothing installed more than standard and default start-up settings and I still I have the display icon missing, probably in some configuration did not work in any case. In the second machine I have is still ok. So I am not sure anymore it will depends on other programs at startup. Bye :wink:

pantheistic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pantheistic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:41 pm

pantheistic wrote:

Sadly, Update Manager icon failed to load on boot today, and image was broken again when I made it reappear using my panel edit mode.
Restarting Cinnamon still reliably restores it.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:49 am

pantheistic wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:41 pm

Restarting Cinnamon still reliably restores it.
I think you are on to something pantheistic. I also suspect that the adding of extra icons is crucial IN COMBINATION though with NOT DISABLING / DELAYING startup applications.
Restarting Cinnamon does indeed restore the Update Manager icon. So does changing the size of the icons in panel settings. But both those methods are only working temporarily for me.Thinking about all the experiences of others I come to the suspicion that it likely seems to be a combination of factors:

Factor 1:
Additional icons that were added in the tray icon bar, no matter what sort of icons they are...
&
Factor 2:
No changes are made in the start up time list of applications (Flatpak, Update etc)

Below is how I have solved it permanently now on 2 computers with both new installs of LM19.2

1 NO extra added icons.
2 DELAYING or DISABLING the start up time of applications

Update Manager is BACK! Bright and Shiny! :D

Return to “Software & Applications”