[Solved] Bug reporting for iCloud mail.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Bug reporting for iCloud mail.

Post by Bara-Bus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:12 am

Can someone point me in the direction to solve the proble with iCloud mail, using either Firefox or Chrome browsers.
Does not matter which browser I use, when sending an email, the email does not appear in SENT box after being sent.
It works fine on iPad. Called Apple they have said issue is with Linux.
Thanks.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked thread as [solved], because Bara-Bus confirmed in a post below it were solved. - No Linux Mint or any other software bug involved. Pebcak. ;-)

djph
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bug reporting for iCloud mail.

Post by djph » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:20 am

This is a mail service similar to gmail, right? That is, you go to "https://mailservice.apple.com" or some such, right?

If so, the OS has nothing to do with whether or not emails get put into specific directories. More likely their web interface is either configured to not save 'sent' messages; or saves them to a different "sent" directory.

Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bara-Bus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am

djph wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:20 am
This is a mail service similar to gmail, right? That is, you go to "https://mailservice.apple.com" or some such, right?

If so, the OS has nothing to do with whether or not emails get put into specific directories. More likely their web interface is either configured to not save 'sent' messages; or saves them to a different "sent" directory.
Now that's not what Apple CS told me.
He said that because it works fine with iPad but not Linux PC it's the Linux system.
Simple answer really, It has to be Linux as it functions normally with Windows as well.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:47 am

Yes, it's because of Linux, but that's because Apple has pretty much zero Linux support. And there's no bug list for that. See this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3689451

djph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djph » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:51 am

Bara-Bus wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am
djph wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:20 am

Now that's not what Apple CS told me.
He said that because it works fine with iPad but not Linux PC it's the Linux system.
Simple answer really, It has to be Linux as it functions normally with Windows as well.
That sounds a lot like my ISP's reasoning that my computers don't get the full bandwidth when their modem is dying. "You'd get what you pay for if you used Windows" (no, no I wouldn't, poor Indian support drone.)

Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bara-Bus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am

Very narrow minded help on this post!
It's a simple question. Who to report it to, as in the relevant support group within Linux? They can tell me what's right and wrong!

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:12 am

Dear Bara-Bus.
Bara-Bus wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am
Very narrow minded help on this post!
Whoever sits in the glass house should not throw stones.
Bara-Bus wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:12 am
It works fine on iPad. Called Apple they have said issue is with Linux.
What do you expect from an Apple supporter. iCloud has been designed (primarily) to support Apple devices and Apple software. iCloud mail works fine on iPad. So from Apple perspective, there is no problem.
You expect Apple iCloud mail webpages to co-operate with other browsers like Chrome and Firefox, both non-Apple, on a non-Apple operating system, how dare you?
The easiest way of getting rid of your complaint was by telling you the culprit were Linux. And it worked. No matter whether it was true or not.
Bara-Bus wrote:
It's a simple question. Who to report it to, as in the relevant support group within Linux? They can tell me what's right and wrong!
Has it ever occurred to you that the root cause might be on the Apple iCloud Mail side?
This is more likely than that Firefox, the browser, is able to prevent the iCloud mail page from saving a copy of sent out mails in the "Sent" folder.

Those who should really be able to judge whether it is a Firefox problem, should be the Mozilla support people and the Mozilla Firefox developers.
With respect to Chrome, the relevant people would be the Google Chrome developers.

--
P.S.:
Sadly Google only returned Apple pages in my native language to me, not in English. Yet from what I have found out so far, if you access icloud.com from a non-Apple device through a webbrowser, then the functionality, which is available, is limited to the functionality, which is available, provided you connect to icloud.com from an Apple device or from a Window PC using the appropriate software.
I am not quite sure whether it will be possible to have fully functional access to your icloud mail using Thunderbird on a Linux (Mint) system.
The threads which I have come across suggest this might be feasible. No warranty given.
(Without having an iCloud account myself, there is no chance of testing myself.)

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:25 pm

I just tested it on Firefox on Mint Cinnamon 19.2 and it worked fine. The email appeared correctly in the Sent folder.

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Worked fine on Chrome as well.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Hello, Shiratori.

Thank you very much for testing and reporting the results. :)
Did you ever have to enable an option to "save a copy of sent messages in the Sent folder"? I mean is this behaviour configurable?

Regards,
Karl

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:15 pm

There is an option for that in the preferences, but AFAIK it was set by default.

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:31 pm

There does appear to be some strange behaviour with iCloud email that depends on what you use to access it, webmail or an IMAP client.

There are 2 folders, "Sent" and "Sent Messages". "Sent" is where emails sent from an IMAP client end up (tested with Thunderbird and the mail client on my Samsung phone), and the "Sent Messages" is where emails sent from the webmail client go (it's the top "Sent" folder in the second screenshot).

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Hello, Bara-Bus.

Please, verify again that in your case, saving sent messages to "Sent" has not been disabled by accident.
The other reason why mails, which you have sent, do not appear in the "Sent" folder or at least not in a timely fashion is this:
They may have got stuck in the "Outgoing" folder (or whatever it may be labelled in iCloud Mail) for much longer than normal.
They may be saved in "Sent" only after they have really been transmitted.

I see such delays on another well-known webmail service (not Cupertino) every once in a while.
Sometimes mails stay in "Outgoing" for several minutes, before they have been processed.
In such cases they will be saved in "Sent" some minutes after the [Send] button had been clicked.

Regards,
Karl

Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bara-Bus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:39 pm

@ Shiratori

Thanks for your help Shiratori. It was what you have said, that the mail settings were unchecked. I did not expect this.
Funny how Apple detective did not even bother to ask to check these settings....

I'm a little old and have difficulty dealing with halfwits always making silly comments and not getting to the point. If Linuxmint wants to be succesful it needs to weed out stupid comments to people making genuine investigations. That's why I come and go with Linuxmint, so many halfwits it's sometimes not worth bothering and I am an easy going guy prepared to listen to some off the cuff comments, but there is a limit.
That is why I stopped supporting Linumint financially as it seemed no point paying for something that effectively gives you grief.
Right now we live in an era of grief giving... It's time to stamp it out!

stephanieswitzer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stephanieswitzer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:13 pm

Kinda late to the thread, but I'm glad you've got it sorted. Just in case, I just checked iCloud on my system and it's working as it should. I run LM 19.2 on my old MacMini.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB, Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:44 am

Bara-Bus wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:39 pm
@ Shiratori

Thanks for your help Shiratori. It was what you have said, that the mail settings were unchecked. I did not expect this.
Funny how Apple detective did not even bother to ask to check these settings....

I'm a little old and have difficulty dealing with halfwits always making silly comments and not getting to the point. If Linuxmint wants to be succesful it needs to weed out stupid comments to people making genuine investigations. That's why I come and go with Linuxmint, so many halfwits it's sometimes not worth bothering and I am an easy going guy prepared to listen to some off the cuff comments, but there is a limit.
That is why I stopped supporting Linumint financially as it seemed no point paying for something that effectively gives you grief.
Right now we live in an era of grief giving... It's time to stamp it out!
Calling people halfwits isn't likely to increase the quality of help you receive going forward, just saying. :roll:

Re-read the thread. All of the suggestions were correct. There was no "problem with Linux" and the issue was technically at Apple's end as it was a setting unchecked on the webmail client. Until someone (me) who had an iCloud account was able to check all anyone could do was to make suggestions as to what could be the cause in order to diagnose the situation. With that in mind your last post is incredibly insulting and is likely to make people not want to assist you in future.

decrepit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by decrepit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:49 am

I think the problem here, is that people that come for help, don't have much understanding of how this volunteer forum works.

They seem to expect the sort of service you should get from a paid professional help line.

Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bara-Bus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:21 am

@ decrepit

Not really, just quick and to the point because it's in the newbie section. Help needs to be clear not vague and off point like most comments that come out from most forums nowadays. It's a newbie section for that simple rason is it not. I'd pay for that kind of service if it existed. It does not.

Young and old who want to learn are generally thrown by stupid comments in the newbie sections and therefore mostly what feedback I get from newbies learning are they give up because of idiotic comments about what their actually trying to learn. Imagine that in a classroom. Would anything ever get done... Only the few whom already understand it!

The purpose of this forum is to help newbies get on that ladder. If not close the newbie forum because all it's doing is turning away newbies eager to learn. What goes on in the rest of the forum has no bearing. Newbies need and require understanding and help to move forward. Imagine yourself as a teacher is what explanations call for, not experts teaching morons.

If you were to read most of the posts for help and see what you find is some information and a lot of rubbish infromation too. Go back and ask all those newbies are they still working with Linuxmint or Linux. Many will say nope!
Last edited by Bara-Bus on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:39 am

Well, to chime in, you had already decided that this was a Linux problem when in fact it wasn't.
Bara-Bus wrote:

Some answers aren't "quick and to the point" because there's usually process of elimination to get to the solution.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bara-Bus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:46 am

JerryF wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:39 am
Well, to chime in, you had already decided that this was a Linux problem when in fact it wasn't.
Bara-Bus wrote:

Some answers aren't "quick and to the point" because there's usually process of elimination to get to the solution.
Another daft comment, please read the whole story...

Return to “Newbie Questions”