Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Canuk_Al
Level 1
Level 1

Getting a partition on a second drive to save Timeshift

Post by Canuk_Al » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 pm

I am running Mint 19.2 64Bit on a AMD system.
I have two drives in this system one is a 500GB SSD drive which is my primary Mint drive.
In addition I have a second hard drive as in spinning device not a SSD.
The problem that I ran into was creating two partitions on the second drive to be formatted to Ext4.
I used GParted to do this but ran into a wall when I tried to rename the partitions to something that made sense to me.
I was not allowed to do this because the system said I did not have ROOT permissions. I do have permissions as a administrator
but not as Root.
I need to have the format of the drives as Ext4 so I can store my Time Shift images on the secondary drive.
If you have a solution to my dilemma it would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Getting a partition on a second drive to save Timeshift

Post by ajgringo619 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Use the Disks program (under Preferences).
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
kernel 5.0.0-25-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (430.40)

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:09 am

Or boot your mint installation media and run gparted from that.
Odd problem cos I always backup to a second internal HDD and always use gparted to partition/format/etc. and not had any issues.
Other thought - the partitions you wanted to rename - were they mounted and if so, where?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Canuk_Al
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Canuk_Al » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:03 pm

ajgringo619 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I cannot find Disks or a Disk program that you feel will work under Preferences.
Can you be more specific?

Thank You

Canuk_Al
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Canuk_Al » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:09 am
Or boot your mint installation media and run gparted from that.
Odd problem cos I always backup to a second internal HDD and always use gparted to partition/format/etc. and not had any issues.
Other thought - the partitions you wanted to rename - were they mounted and if so, where?
I have a formatted thumb drive with Mint 19.2 on it, I booted to that drive however my computer just launches the Mint version that is set up on my computer.
I have spent over one hour this morning on this issue.
I deleted the existing partitions and created new ones which support Ext4 however like before I am locked out of them because the system says I Do Not have Root permissions. I managed to load Root permissions to me but this is not viable as the Root based files are not available to be seen or used by me as Administrator.
This has turned into a mess, all I want is my Time Shift snapshots to be saved to a secondary drive.
Suggestions please and please give detailed instructions as I am a dummy.

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ajgringo619 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Canuk_Al wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:03 pm
ajgringo619 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I cannot find Disks or a Disk program that you feel will work under Preferences.
Can you be more specific?

Thank You
If it's not installed, you can install if from the Software Manager (search for gnome-disk and select Gnome Disk Utility).
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
kernel 5.0.0-25-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (430.40)

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Canuk_Al wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 pm
...In addition I have a second hard drive as in spinning device not a SSD.
The problem that I ran into was creating two partitions on the second drive to be formatted to Ext4.
I used GParted to do this but ran into a wall when I tried to rename the partitions to something that made sense to me.
I was not allowed to do this because the system said I did not have ROOT permissions. I do have permissions as a administrator
but not as Root.
"administrator" = root, and you should be able to create and modify partitions on an external disk -- if you're not using the disk -- while running the normal OS. (partitions have to be unmounted to change them)

If you want to modify your installation partitions, you need to use the LiveMedia.

Running gparted from the menu should provide the proper permissions, but if not, try in a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo gparted 
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Canuk_Al
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Canuk_Al » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:56 pm

Flemur wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:23 pm
Canuk_Al wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 pm
...In addition I have a second hard drive as in spinning device not a SSD.
but not as Root.
"administrator" = root, and you should be able to create and modify partitions on an external disk -- if you're not using the disk -- while running the normal OS. (partitions have to be unmounted to change them)

If you want to modify your installation partitions, you need to use the LiveMedia.

Running gparted from the menu should provide the proper permissions, but if not, try in a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo gparted 
OK, seems a bit clearer now. I found out when booting to my media I needed to run the UEFI version for my memory stick.
By doing this I entered into to set up portion of Mint and was able to run Gparted and name the subdirectories to what I wanted.
I then selected one of these partitions and mapped Timeshift to output to it which it did. I then launched Grsync and had it do a back up to this same partition which it did.
So all is good from that side of the equations however when typing to copy files etc. to these partitions I could not do that as I was advised by the system that I did not have Root permissions. I enabled root permissions and then copied the test file to this partition. However when I left Gparted and tried to read the copied file I was not allowed to as the file was hidden.
Thinking about this and how I might make it work, I think that I need to create 1-EXT partition for Timeshift and Grsync as they seem to have Root permissions.
I then will create two other partitions and have them formatted to another format that will allow for me to copy and past files as needed to this drive.
Thoughts Please, have I got this all wrong? Why can I not gain Root permission with my standard login?

Return to “Software & Applications”