ALSA/DKMS bionic .deb package got deleted!

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alexvar
Level 1
Level 1

ALSA/DKMS bionic .deb package got deleted!

Post by Alexvar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:24 pm

Hello!
Yesterday I decided to make a clean upgrade over to LM 19.2. After installing, I went to install the ALSA/DKMS .deb package corresponding to my version (bionic) to get the sound working, as shown in this guide, just as I did previously with no issues, but for some weird reason, that package got deleted! (Link).

I tried looking for the .deb package in the Internet Archive, but no such luck.

The only files left are a .tar.gz package and a .dsc file (Link), which I don't know how to compile. If someone could help me to compile the file into a .deb package, find the .deb package that got deleted, or provide an alternate solution, I would really appreciate it :)

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Re: ALSA/DKMS bionic .deb package got deleted!

Post by smurphos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:47 am

The daily builds for that package appear to be broken - i.e. the automated building of the deb file is failing - https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audi ... /+packages

So is your audio not working out of the box with the default ALSA drivers?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 am

Surprised you would need that, too, but here's the last build that was successful for that package:
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audi ... d/16817188
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Alexvar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alexvar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:34 pm

So is your audio not working out of the box with the default ALSA drivers?
Out of the box, no. However, it is supposed to work after installing said package, but... this time didn't work :( (I tried the last successful build from gm10's link)
Long story short, here's my first thread back when I first installed LM (18.3 back then) and had the same audio issue. We came to the conclusion I had to install the ALSA/DKMS drivers, but that didn't work. A few months later, I upgraded to 19.0, and with it a new ALSA/DKMS driver for Bionic was uploaded, so I got it and it worked. Fast-forward to now, I simply attempted to just re-install the same package, but didn't get lucky this time (Maybe I'm wrongly assuming 19.2 is based on Bionic when it's not?)

Anyway, the odd thing is that the driver appears to be installed, but it's not detected by cat /proc/asound/cards or aplay -l
soundcard.png
soundcard.png (17.58 KiB) Viewed 43 times
But honestly, I don't want to go through yet another troubleshooting process, and I really don't want to waste your time, so unless there's an easy solution, I guess I'll just downgrade to 19.1 and upgrade when a newer, better package is available.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”