Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
michaeljames
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 10 Dual Boot Grub issue

Post by michaeljames » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 am

I'm fairly new to linux and a somewhat savvy Windows user. I wanted to dip my toe in the water and some light reading suggested Mint could be good for that as well as transitioning into an intermediate user.

Ive been trying for several days now to get the mint installation to work properly. I reinstalled Windows clean because it was legacy installed and not UEFI. I have no secureboot option, so it cannot be enabled. Iwent on to install mint and keep getting a failure to install grub right at the end. Well, a grub command line is what Im greeted with upon restart. I can use some commands to assign root and get into linux. From within mint I get a sham signed error.

The weirdest part is after manually fixing the efi partition with a win10 thumbdrive, I get repeat options in the boot menu now: multiple windows, multiple ubuntu, but they all boot windows. I'm kind of at a loss as a beginner. Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

athi
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Windows 10 Dual Boot Grub issue

Post by athi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:05 am

Please run below commands in Terminal (ctrl+alt+t) to output system and partition information, then post results.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzd

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Windows 10 Dual Boot Grub issue

Post by JeremyB » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:34 am

Try installing Mint without an internet connection as there are still issues with some UEFI installs when there are grub updates available

Return to “Installation & Boot”