Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint 19 logo at startup disappeared after kernel update

Post by carum carvi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:27 am

I am using LM19 Cinnamon and my beloved LinuxMint logo has disappeared during startup after the latest kernel update to 4.15.0-58
Startup shows a black screen now, with a dotted long red line across the screen and the LinuxMint logo only flashes 2 times on the screen very quickly, in less than a second.

Startup time seems to be the same. I have not experienced any other difficulties, but I was wondering if others have experienced the same and if such a disappearance of the LinuxMint logo is an indicator something else is defective or is it just an innocent glitch?

(No new system report crashes and no new important errors in my logs were found.)

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: LinuxMint19 logo at startup disappeared after kernel update

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:18 am

Can't you reset it using the GUI section for "Login Window" in Control Center?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 19 logo at startup disappeared after kernel update

Post by karlchen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:40 am

As I understand it carum carvi talks about the Linux Mint logo with the dotted line, where the dots toggle from white to green and back to white.
This is the boot splash screen which is displayed after the Grub menu has closed (in case the Grub menu has been displayed) and before the graphical login screen (greeter screen) appears.
It is the plymouth boot screen.
Reconfiguring the login screen as a consequence will not help.

I see a similar behaviour on Xubuntu 18.04.3. But only during the first startup after a kernel update. A new boot image file initrd.img-<version>-generic will have been created in this case as well.
During shutdown and on second reboot (and further reboots) the normal plymouth screen (Xubuntu splash screen in this case) will be displayed again.

carum carvi, has it happened only once or has it happened during several reboots?
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:58 pm

karlchen wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:40 am
I see a similar behaviour on Xubuntu 18.04.3. But only during the first startup after a kernel update.
During shutdown and on second reboot (and further reboots) the normal plymouth screen (Xubuntu splash screen in this case) will be displayed again.

carum carvi, has it happened only once or has it happened during several reboots?
That's a good question. It's a problem I have on my other (10 year old) computer which I dont use as often anymore. I will report back soon when I have started up that old machine again and the plymouth boot screen is still absent. Thanks for those tips guys!

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:35 pm

<Addendum to my previous post>

Relevant factor: the graphics card and the video driver in use

The reported behaviour here occurs only on computers having onboard Intel graphics chips.
The same behaviour will not be seen on those of my computers, which have got an onboard nVidia graphics chip or a PCI nVidia graphics card.

Relevant file(s): /boot/initrd.img-<version>-generic

On the computer with nVidia graphics chips/cards, the boot image files, /boot/initrd.img-<version>-generic, hold video driver modules.
On the computer with Intel graphics chips, the boot image files, /boot/initrd.img-<version>-generic, do not hold the same video driver modules.

What triggers the reduced plymouth splash screen at boot time

In my previous post I had correctly mentioned that the reduced plymouth splash screen will be seen, when the system gets rebooted after a kernel update. The kernel update also brings along a new boot image file /boot/initrd.img-<version>-generic.

Yet, this is only the special case. In fact, here on my machines, I seem to be able to provoke the reduced plymouth splash screen by switching between 2 kernels in the Grub menu.
I.e. if I startup the system several times, switching between kernels 4.15.0-55 and 4.15.0-58, the reduced plymouth splash screen happens every time.
Suspected reason:
The loaded boot image file switches between initrd.img-4.15.0-55-generic and initrd.img-4.15.0-58-generic.
I suspect that some cached data file is not present on disk yet, when the initrd file is not the same as during previous reboot. (Wild guess?)

When did this start?

I suspect the changed plymouth behaviour started after an update of the initramfs-tools (includes update-initramfs) some months ago.
The changelog of one such update mentioned that update-initramfs loaded too many graphics modules into the boot image files even in cases where these modules were not needed.
I will have to look up which update precisely this was.
--
Found it. On this Xubuntu 18.04.2 system the initramfs-tools update from 0.130ubuntu3.6 to 0.130ubuntu3.7 was installed March 8th, 2019.
It brought along among more changes this modification:

Code: Select all

initramfs-tools (0.130ubuntu3.7) bionic; urgency=medium

[ Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo ]
  * Do not include graphical drivers when FRAMEBUFFER is not set.
    (LP: #1561643)

-- Brian Murray <brian@ubuntu.com>  Thu, 17 Jan 2019 12:26:22 -0800
Scope

Affects Ubuntu 18.04 and Mint 19.x systems with Intel graphics chips here. Not systems with nVidia chips.

Solution / Workaround for affected systems?

Sorry, at the time being I cannot offer any workaround / solution.

Disclaimer

Until confirmed or proven wrong, all this is merely my hypothesis. I may be chasing the wrong suspect.

</Addendum to my previous post>
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added relevant changelog initramfs-tools 0.130ubuntu3.7
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:05 am

Thanks a lot for all those detailed information Karlchen! I have started my 10 year old computer and below is what I have experienced.
karlchen wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:35 pm
The reported behaviour here occurs only on computers having onboard Intel graphics chips.
I do have Nvidia, but I use Nouveau drivers, because Nvidia gives massive problems on my system.

karlchen wrote:
I seem to be able to provoke the reduced plymouth splash screen by switching between 2 kernels in the Grub menu.
I.e. if I startup the system several times, switching between kernels 4.15.0-55 and 4.15.0-58, the reduced plymouth splash screen happens every time.
I have tried switching to kernel 55 at startup and during that particular boot the LinuxMint logo was visible as normal. Boot time was 15 seconds faster as well. When I restart the computer and kernel 58 loads again, the same red dotted line is visible for a long time again and the LInuxMint logo is only shown in a flash. Even after several restarts this behaviour stays the same.
karlchen wrote:
Suspected reason:The loaded boot image file switches between initrd.img-4.15.0-55-generic and initrd.img-4.15.0-58-generic.
I suspect that some cached data file is not present on disk yet, when the initrd file is not the same as during previous reboot. (Wild guess?)
That particular red dotted line indeed already appeared some months ago, but only shortly, not yet surpressing the LinuxMint logo. But only since the kernel update to 58 has the red dotted line been much longer visible during boot, surpressing the time the normal LinuxMint logo (plymouth screen) is shown. Boot time has increased some 15 seconds as well with kernel 58.

My pc is 10 years old. The battery isnt working well anymore. Date and time have to be manually added in BIOS if I dont use the computer for a few days. Pressing F1 works as well to solve this CMOS date and time problem, because it will load a default setting, but after pressing F1 the boot then gets stuck at DHCP or something similar, with a rotating cursor that wont stop. I have to physically disconnect the power chord and after a new reboot the pc starts up correctly. But still with the long appearance of the horizontal red dotted line, which is visible so long that it surpresses the LinuxMint logo, which can only be seen in a flash.

Below I have posted my important log errors. Maybe they can be of help? I noticed as well that I have 6 older kernels installed. Could those slow down my system? I have enough diskspace though...

Code: Select all

08:50:17 cinnamon-sessio: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: t+39,28917s: g_dbus_connection_call_sync_internal: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed
08:50:05 pulseaudio: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
08:49:26 kernel: k10temp 0000:00:18.3: unreliable CPU thermal sensor; monitoring disabled
08:49:12 kernel: i2c i2c-3: sendbytes: error -110
08:49:12 kernel: ACPI Exception: Could not find/resolve named package element: \_PR_.CPU0 (20170831/dspkginit-381)
08:49:12 kernel: do_IRQ: 0.55 No irq handler for vector
Edit: I have just now installed LM19.2 Cinnamon. The basic install had a normal LinuxMint logo (plymouth boot screen). But when I applied all the new updates, the red dotted line was back with only a flash second of the LinuxMint logo to be seen. Boot time was quick again though in LM19.2.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:32 pm

My pc is 10 years old. The battery isnt working well anymore. Date and time have to be manually added in BIOS if I dont use the computer for a few days. Pressing F1 works as well to solve this CMOS date and time problem, because it will load a default setting, but after pressing F1 the boot then gets stuck at DHCP or something similar,
Replace the CR2032 coin battery. It's a dollar or two at the most. I can't believe you've not already done that. If your date and time is to far off, then the router, ISP, or internet may not even allow your computer use of the internet. I've seen people run into such problem and when the date/time was corrected the other problem with internet access cleared up.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Yes, I will try to replace it soon. Those battery troubles only started recently and I have fear of messing up my computer hardware when I have to open it, through accidental static electricity or some other stupidity of mine. I am not very handy with these kind of things, but I have read it is not too difficult if one follows certain guidelines. Opening up my computer (10 year old desktop) would also give me the chance to blow out the dust, which has accumulated over the past 10 years!

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:47 am

Hello, carum carvi.

Summary
Well, it looks as if with respect to your boot splash screen problem I am on the wrong track. :oops:
The issue which you experience and the (little) annoyance which I come across do not seem to be the same and therefore will have different root causes.

Similarites
carum carvi wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:05 am
My pc is 10 years old.
Between 9 and almost 12 years here. [1] [2] [3] :lol:

Differences
carum carvi wrote:
I do have Nvidia, but I use Nouveau drivers
Those of my machines, which do not have got onboard Intel graphics chips, have got either an onboard nVidia graphics chip or a PCI nVidia graphics card. On the "nVidia machines", the nouveau driver is in use on all Linux Mint and Ubuntu systems.

I only see a simplified boot splash screen on machines with Intel graphics chips, not on those with nVidia graphics chips.
You, however, see the reduced splash screen precisely on your "nVidia machine".
carum carvi wrote:
That particular red dotted line [...]
No red dotted line hiere.
When the systems display a reduced boot splash screen, then
+ the normal Ubuntu or Mint logo image will be replaced by the word "Ubuntu" or "Mint" respectively
+ the dotted line below will not be red here, but have the normal Ubuntu colour (purple) or green (Mint)
+ on Mint the dotted line will switch from green to white and back to green and so on

Conclusion
See summary above. And I admit that I do not have got any good idea, yet, what causes the boot splash issue on your machine.
Though those advising getting a new onboard battery are right, nonetheless the worn out old battery should be unlikely to have any impact on your boot splash screen.

Cheers,
Karl

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:07 am

Thanks for trying to find a solution Karlchen. Really appreciated! The sudden disappearance of the LinuxMint logo isnt a major problem, but I only feared it would indicate a problem that I overlooked. Everything on my newly installed LM19.2 works fine though, thankfully. But the disappearance is definitely caused by "some" update, because a basic new Live Usb install without updates works fine.

The line was purple by the way, but because my monitor has blue light eliminated, the "purple" line, looks red. :D

Nice to see that you have a 10 year old Acer machine as well. I hope those oldies will last a few years longer, with a bit of care and good luck... :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”