Which browser is recommended?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Charles_NL
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:42 pm
Location: The Hague, Netherlands.

Which browser is recommended?

Post by Charles_NL » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:17 am

Hi all,

Which browser is recommended for Linux Mint?
I use Firefox now, but is Chrome or Chromium (Chrome but with a different name?) better?
Or a different browser recommended? Or must I don't change of browser of Linux? And why?

athi
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:15 am
Location: USA

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by athi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:26 am

You can install other browsers (Chrome, Chromium, Opera etc.) if you want, most browsers have .deb installer available. I use Firefox with DuckDuckGo for most of my browsing for the improved privacy. However, I always install Chrome on my machines but minimize usage due to Google data logging practice since there are sites that does work better in Chrome.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

RIH
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:47 am

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by RIH » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 am

Like most things in Linux it is your choice.
I was a long time user of Firefox while I was using Windows (hated IE & its replacement) so used that when I switched to Mint.
After a couple of years & updates I found Firefox to require that I booted my machine a lot more often than I wanted to - otherwise the internet slowed to a crawl.
So I had a look around & Opera suited me to a T,
I have used it for the last 3 years & am still very happy with it but that is me & my equipment & how I use a browser, for someone else it might be a disaster.
However, that is the beauty of Linux - you use what suits you & your kit, not what someone else thinks you should do.
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-65-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

User avatar
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1614
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by Schultz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:51 am

I recommend Pale Moon.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13515
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by Pjotr » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Whatever you choose: I recommend to stick to the big ones. Firefox, Chrome, Chromium or Opera.

Only the big ones get enough and timely security maintenance from their large security developer teams. The small ones simply don't have the manpower to keep it up. Note that your web browser is, by far, the most attacked piece of software on your machine....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2074
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 pm

just for chuckles here...lol...i use a "small" fry browser known as "Brave"...have no idea how small their staff is but find it very surprising that i get browser updates from them before getting updates from my backup "Chromium" browser which i naturally thought would provide updates first being one of the "big" browser outfits...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by carum carvi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:14 pm
Whatever you choose: I recommend to stick to the big ones. Firefox, Chrome, Chromium or Opera.Only the big ones get enough and timely security maintenance from their large security developer teams.
Very good argument. Security is number 1 for me as well in choosing my browser. Not so long ago research has shown that Firefox was best protected against the many variants of Spectre and Meltdown.

Chrome is based upon the open source Chromium. Opera and Brave are based on Chromium as well. If you love Google and use Gmail etc then it might be an interesting choice, because it has perfect integration for anything Google related. If you value privacy, I wont recommend Chrome though. I have tried Chromium once and it just feels like Windows, because I was constantly discovering more data settings that wanted to snoop information.

Firefox is an open source project. The last big independent browser on earth. I really want to support that, besides it being a great browser, that just does everything I want, with great secure privacy settings on top of that.

Charles_NL
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:42 pm
Location: The Hague, Netherlands.

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by Charles_NL » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Thank you for the answers!
Firefox is a good browser for Linux, and for me :)
Another one not needed.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm

hands down vivaldi. matter of fact they just released a new version today.

User avatar
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1614
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by Schultz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Whatever you choose: I recommend to stick to the big ones. Firefox, Chrome, Chromium or Opera.
This is one of the rare times I disagree with you.
What were those Pink Floyd lyrics . . . all in all you're just another brick in the wall. :wink:

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Schultz wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 pm
Pjotr wrote:
Whatever you choose: I recommend to stick to the big ones. Firefox, Chrome, Chromium or Opera.
This is one of the rare times I disagree with you.
What were those Pink Floyd lyrics . . . all in all you're just another brick in the wall. :wink:
agree with you 1,000,000%. firefox is heaping steaming pile of you can guess what since they switched their addon engine. chrome is only good as a base for others like vivaldi, brave, and opera. all three far superior to chrome.

User avatar
pbear
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2150
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by pbear » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Charles_NL wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm
Another one not needed.
There's a value to having a backup browser, in case your primary stops working temporarily for whatever reason. I always have one.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

User avatar
majpooper
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by majpooper » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:23 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:14 pm
Whatever you choose: I recommend to stick to the big ones. Firefox, Chrome, Chromium or Opera.

Only the big ones get enough and timely security maintenance from their large security developer teams. The small ones simply don't have the manpower to keep it up. Note that your web browser is, by far, the most attacked piece of software on your machine....
I concur with Pjotr - as a big fan of Steve Gibson's weekly "Security Now" podcast it seems other security "experts" back this up.
I certainly do not pass myself off as a security expert but find the topic interesting enough that I follow it, read about it watch videos etc. to the point of actually applying quite a few security tweaks - for example, PiHole Server, VPN, Y router configuration. I just mention this only to make Pjotr's point that "your web browser is, [INDEED, my emphasis] by far, the most attacked piece of software on your machine (your router is a vulnerability as well - but that is a other kettle of fish). The security attackers come from all directions, from state actors to the guy in his mom,s basement - and it is relentless - so yeah it does take a Mozilla or Google or MS that have the vast resources to provide an adequate defence - and often that is not even enough.

User avatar
phd21
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9305
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by phd21 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi Charles_NL,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

The recommended or default browser for Linux Mint is Firefox and it is already installed in all editions of Linux Mint.

I always recommend that people install more than one browser like Google's Chrome browser because there is always a chance that an update may temporarily cause some issue(s) with your main browser and you can then just use the other browser until they fix or updated whatever the isssue(s) are. Also, because some websites may not necessarily work or work well in Firefox but will in Chrome or visa-versa.

I have many browsers installed to test them for myself and others in this forum. So far, my favorite browsers are "Vivaldi" (Chromium based) and "Slimjet" (Chrome - chromium) because both have excellent features and are updated frequently.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by MrGrimm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:28 pm

phd21 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:39 pm
Hi Charles_NL,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

The recommended or default browser for Linux Mint is Firefox and it is already installed in all editions of Linux Mint.

I always recommend that people install more than one browser like Google's Chrome browser because there is always a chance that an update may temporarily cause some issue(s) with your main browser and you can then just use the other browser until they fix or updated whatever the isssue(s) are. Also, because some websites may not necessarily work or work well in Firefox but will in Chrome or visa-versa.

I have many browsers installed to test them for myself and others in this forum. So far, my favorite browsers are "Vivaldi" (Chromium based) and "Slimjet" (Chrome - chromium) because both have excellent features and are updated frequently.

Hope this helps ...

can't agree with you. firefox like i said IS a heaping steaming pile of you can guess what since they switched their addons engine. if peeps are going to install more than one browser i personally recommend vivaldi, brave, opera, and then chrome. myself in order: vivaldi-stable, vivaldi-snapshot, brave, chrome. as for websites not wanting to work with a particular browser use a user agent switcher, i'm using "User-Agent Switcher and Manager
0.3.2".

User avatar
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1614
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by Schultz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:09 pm

This is getting off topic, but why stop at using only the big named browsers? If that really makes sense (which I don't believe it does), we should all be using the only big named OS. Now I know nobody here agrees with that, right?

User avatar
Pierre
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9065
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by Pierre » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:17 pm

just lately, it seems that I've taken an liking for SlimJet,
as that still has an 32 bit version, that will install as an *.deb file, on this LM18x 32 bit system.

but, on another partition, were LM19x 64bit, does reside, is an copy of the Brave Browser.
8)

it's that Firefox, that is still my main web browser, though.
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Benedetto
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am
Location: SW England

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by Benedetto » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:46 am

I am sure this question has arisen before and my choice of browser has not changed since I replied to a previous thread.
I use Opera in my desktop, laptop and Android tablet. I have used it for many years - eve when I had Windows o/s.
Firefox is available, as it comes with Linux Mint, but I do not use it, however it is there as a standby as other posters suggest.
I have tried Vivaldi, did not care for it and nether did the smaller ones available to Linux users appeal to me.
Opera syncs over all three of my technologies. I do not save passwords and other important details with any form of banking or sensitive sites.
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - version 4.2.3

User avatar
kc1di
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5336
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by kc1di » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 am

my vote is for Opera it's smooth and does everything I need. FF is good but just seems slow to me. In any event the one you choose should meet your needs securely.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

Re: Which browser is recommended?

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:57 am

kc1di wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 am
In any event the one you choose should meet your needs securely.
EXACTLY

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”