[SOLVED] Seeing hard drive contents

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Seeing hard drive contents

Post by Flemur » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:22 am

Tony-b wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:02 am
The file manager also puts every file below / with no easy to see indication of its actual storage location. If I select properties of any file all I am given is the directory tree starting with /. This all suggest everything is stored on the SSD but I have no way of finding out - that is what I feel I need to know.
I showed you how to do that. It's very simple. Good luck.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Talk about talking down to avoid a straight forward question. I am fully aware that everyone here gives their time and effort for free for which I am grateful. Just like I give my time and effort for free on another forum concerned with topics I do have expertise oin and I hope I do not appear as condescending as some on here seem to.
Nobody is "talking down" to you, but trying to explain things in linux to you, and explaining something is NOT being condescending at all. Heck, I don't know everything about linux, and not too proud at times when needed to ask, and glad to get the help and understanding. Just recently I was working a thread dealing with encryption, and had no qualms about contacting xenopeek who I had confidence could deal better with the thread at some point than I had been able to. Many if not most here were former windows users. I got away from it a year before XP support expired, mainly because I found I actually liked Linux then better than the still supported XP, which surprised me at the time. Advice, especially when requested by someone, is NOT "talking down" to them. I think most in this thread have been extremely patient with you.

As for the difference between how windows does "drives" with single "letters", I find the linux method much more exact, since a simple lsblk command can show me the structure, whereas in windows I had to always check the partitioning just to be sure if a "letter" was for a physical drive, or just another partition on a single drive.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:25 pm

The current layout of Windows file system and Mint file system is actually more similar than ever before. Windows default installation is on 1 Windows partition and several system/support partitions with all directories showing under C drive with all user data inside of the user directory on C. Mint default installation is also on 1 / partition with all directories showing under / with all user data inside of the /home/user directory inside of /. Both Windows and Mint file manager does not show which actual partition contains Windows or /, you have to use a partitioning utility to find this information. Both Windows and Mint display additional mounted data partitions/devices in a listing of devices, which can be expanded to show the actual content. And both allows you to map (Windows) or mount (Mint) network resources or actual partitions in any location in the filing system. Similarly for backup, Windows and Mint utilities works almost the same way and allow you to browse the file system without knowing the partition information.

So in a way, knowing the actual partition layout on a drive is superfluous to normal operations and only required to troubleshoot, same as use of CLI/Terminal.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:56 pm

I've seen upset windows users at other forums, yelling about how their My Documents or just Documents folder, suddenly "lost" some of their folders, because they were actually symlinked to folders on another drive, which for whatever reason they'd removed, or sadly for them, decided to do something with and losing their data. First question is "how many drives" and "have you removed one lately", reveal their mistake. Some are left moaning, others relieved it was discovered by helpers before they did something else with that physical drive.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:19 pm

I assume that the contribution is simply a provocation: how many Linux users climb on the barricades and defend "their" system.

In Unix-like systems, file browsers have had their typical listing order for decades - not necessarily pretty, but logical.

Apple and his Finder have made it pretty like a model agency: the user shouldn't be scared at all, all wrinkles and pimples are retouched and everyone is happy...

Microsoft: the Explorer is neither pretty nor logical...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Tony-b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tony-b » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 pm

First of all I am sorry if pure frustration caused me to be a short with some of you. Regrettably I was unable to see the screen shots properly because of small size and lack of resolution so I could not read them

Some of the replies said something about the way, once booted, Linux can not see the actual drives, only the files shown from the root /. That gave me an idea and I am pleased to say it worked and was exceptionally simple to do.

It seemed that if I wanted to look at what was on the disks I had to prevent them being mounted so I booted from a PCLinux live disk I had lying around. When it had done its stuff I brought up the Dolphin file manager and there were the two drives. Clicking on each drive displayed the files on them exactly as I thought should be possible and it confirmed that I had managed to get the system and programs on the SSD and my data on the spinner. Now I think I can back up my data for storage elsewhere with much more confidence.

I am now a happy bunny so again thanks to those who tried to help. I will mark this as solved, my next problem is to find out why my Mint17 64 bit on my desk top and Mint16 32 bit on my lap top can see each other over the network, one is wired and the other wireless but my wife's Mint 19 on a laptop can see the router and access the internet but can not see the other computers on the network but that is for another day after I have studde the internet a bit more.

Tony-b
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Seeing hard drive contents SOLVED

Post by Tony-b » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Can';t see a "solved icon" so added it to the header for this post. Cheers

derrick1120
Level 2
Level 2

Post by derrick1120 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Tony-b, you need to go to your first post.
Click on the pencil (Edit icon).
Put 'SOLVED' in the Subject header.

Regards

derrick1120

Minux1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Minux1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Windows directory/drive/file structuring is more intuitive (easier to visualize).
Takes a while getting used to Linux's zany file system ... if you can call it a system.
I remember starting at U of T as an engineering student programming in Fortran IV on consoles the size of full box refrigerators back in 68 and with DOS back in the stone age of personal computing (80s/90s)
I picked those languages up and was functional in less than a week.
Not so with the Linux stuff.
Good thing a person can do what they need to do with GUIs in most Linux distros.
People have ran windows O/Ss for years (since the windows 3 series) without any proficiency whatsoever in DOS, VBA or whatever.
No problem following that paradigm with Linux. :mrgreen:

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 pm

The GUI way.
Start the Disks application. In LM 19 Cinnamon, Disks appears in the menu under Accessories and under Preferences.
Select each disk and look at the bottom line in the right hand column. The system disk is listed as Filesystem Root with is the complicated way of saying it is at / in the Linux file system.

Disks also shows the following types of information
Size 1.0 TB - 123 GB free (87.7% full)
Device /dev/sda1
UUID eb053..............................................................
Partition Type Linux (Bootable)

At the top right in Disks there is a drop down menu where you can view SMART data to see the disk health.

Your second disk might be mounted at /home. You can browse /home in Files (the file manager also named Nemo). You can right click home to get the space used in that directory which is the space used on that disk.

In most cases of two disks, /home represents the second disk, usually a big capacity magnetic disk. In the left column of Files (Nemo), you have Home at the top to point to the spinning disk and File System further down to point to / or the SSD.

When my external disks are plugged in, they mount at /media/me/name-of-disk-partition. In the file manager, Nemo, my external disks appear in the left column as name-of-disk-partition.

Experiment. Select the bits at the left. Right click each one to look at options. Do the same with Disks. Disks gives you a warning/cancel/proceed pop up choice before damaging anything.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Any easier option is to replace the SSD with a larger capacity. You then need only one disk and use less battery power, less energy. The world will burn less coal. You could save the rare and endangered Djintamoonga! :mrgreen:

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Tony-b wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:12 am

I want to see a list (preferably from a graphical interface) of the contents of my hard drives. This is very easy in Windows but it seems Linux in general simply refuses to show this information. I need it because I hope that I have set up my desktop to have the system files on an SSD and the data files on a spinner.
This is a very easy and simple thing to do. :roll: I'm using Cinnamon 19.1...go to System Settings...Desktop...tick...Computer. :D

The Computer icon is now on the Desktop...double click it and you will see your Internal Storage HDD...double click that and all the Folders or anything else on the Drive will be shown...it's that simple. Image Of cause you can Auto-Mount your Internal Storage HDD...it's up to you. :)

If you put the Computer icon on the Windoze Desktop it does exactly the same thing. :roll: If you want to see the contents of your Main Drive...Linux Mint...put the Home Folder icon on the Desktop...easy. In case you didn't know...these days a Directory is called a Folder and I hope you know how to create a Folder. Image :roll:

After a short while of using Linux Mint I have found Mint to be so much easier than Windoze ever was. Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:17 am

If one wants to see drive letters for their partitions I don't see why it can't be setup that way. When your setting up the system you will have / and /home but if one wants to see drive letters after the necessary / & /home just create more partitions and call them D,E,F ect. If it is a multi drive setup and you want to see which drive holds what drive letter then use D1,E1,F1 and G2,H2 and so on. My thoughts are if one knows how to do this then why not just get used to the way Linux does it. I think Andy said it a good way is learn them both and you are better off.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Minux1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Minux1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:00 am

The graphical 'drive map' generated by clicking on My Computer or This PC in windows with the right click context menu where you could perform functions like format and view the properties of the drives and especially the 'hover over' message box showing the drive capacity and used space is functionality that is conspicuously missing in Linux.
Maybe the Linux gurus feel it is surrendering to incorporate something so quintessentially windows into Linux. :?: :?: :?:
Their way of stating "we're different and plan on remaining so".
Who knows?

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:04 am

Minux1 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:00 am
Maybe the Linux gurus feel it is surrendering to incorporate something so quintessentially windows into Linux. :?: :?: :?:
The Disks utility provides that functionality in Mint releases.

It's worth noting that if mounting partitiions via fstab choice of mount location is relevant as to how Linux File Managers displays partitiions. Namely if you mount partitions to /media/somedirectory the mounts will show up in the File Manager as devices and contents are browse-able that way (which is what I understand the OP wants). If mounted anywhere else the File Manager won't display the partition as a device, it's just part of the main file system.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Minux1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Minux1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:22 am

Sort of but if anyone is waiting for ThisPC or My Computer to show up on a major Linux distro don´t hold your breath.
If you take what is essentially a graphically enabled text based O/S and smatter it with a bunch more windows what do you get?
Another version of windows.
They (the creators) won´t go there.
Most people are lazy ... mentally and physically.
If they can do what needs to be done by interacting with a picture they won´t type text into a ¨terminal¨ or DOS screen.
Hence the <3% Linux ¨market share¨ in personal computing.

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Seeing hard drive contents

Post by Rocky Bennett » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:29 am

I am just a VERY casual Linux user, so I might not correctly understand the OP's confusion. I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon and I have my desktop completely clean with no icons at all. Because of that I just have one file icon on my system tray that I use to access my entire file system.

When I click on this icon it opens the default file manager and I can see my home contents. When I look to the left side of the GUI screen of my file manager I see all of my physical drives listed, 4 separate physical drives. I can click on any drive, for example the drive labeled "archive" (which really isn't a drive but a RAID array of drives) or the drive labeled "videos" or the drive labeled "temp files." When I click on any drive I see a tree just like I would in Windows.

So maybe I am doing something wrong, but it seems quite easy to see the contents of any ONE drive or partition separate from every other drive or partition.

rjsrjs
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Seeing hard drive contents

Post by rjsrjs » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:48 am

I'm using Linux Mint Mate 19.1 and Caja file manager has in the "View" Menu to view show side pane which shows all the devices connected to my laptop. Also when ever I connect a USB HDD the drives and partitions show up on my desktop. It's always been that way.

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 am

absque fenestris wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:19 pm
In Unix-like systems, file browsers have had their typical listing order for decades - not necessarily pretty, but logical.
Apple and his Finder have made it pretty like a model agency: the user shouldn't be scared at all, all wrinkles and pimples are retouched and everyone is happy...
Microsoft: the Explorer is neither pretty nor logical...
I need to correct myself.

The file browser in Linux Mint is pretty and logical.

The file browser in Windows 10 is just stupid and cumbersome. I've been annoyed about this piece of crap for hours this morning... :twisted:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Return to “Newbie Questions”