[SOLVED] Spilled water on laptop/diagnostic for all systems?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hedgehoggy
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Spilled water on laptop/diagnostic for all systems?

Post by hedgehoggy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:31 pm

I stupidly managed to spill water on my ThinkPad's keyboard the other night . . . :( . . . I immediately turned the power off, unplugged, turned it upside down, and did my best to clean off all the water with paper towels. I let it sit open "tipi style" for at least 24 hours to let any remaining water drain out. After all that I'm writing this to you on the very same laptop, so I guess the damage couldn't have been that bad (Thinkpads are supposed to have "spill resistant" keyboards, thankfully), however I'm concerned that there might be some hidden damage that isn't readily apparent and so I was wondering if there was a program that could do a comprehensive system wide diagnostic to see if there are any problems with the hardware . . . ?

The only thing I noticed that didn't work off the bat was the BAMS applet which said "waiting for battery information" (the default battery applet seems to work fine). I reinstalled it, but wasn't able to get it to work again until I ran one of its upower scripts on the cli, now it seems fine.
Last edited by hedgehoggy on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1C7
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.3 (64-bit)

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Spilled water on laptop/diagnostic for all systems?

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:37 pm

The only thing i might add that could be done is to put lappy into a bag of rice upside down for a few days since rice will absorb all extra moisture before turning it on again...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

hedgehoggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hedgehoggy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Thanks, I'll see if Mrs. Hedgehoggy has any rice in the cupboard . . .
Lenovo ThinkPad X1C7

cliffcoggin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cliffcoggin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Alternatively remove the back and leave it in a gentle draught for a day or two. No risk of rice dust clogging the ports and keys.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:56 pm

get a 10 lb or larger bag of rice, place the laptop in that, and then place the bag into a warm environment and leave it for 3 days.

OR, find a source of Vacuum, and place the laptop inside a sealed container,
pull the Vacuum down to -26 inches of Mercury, and leave it for 6 hours plus.
My A/C repairman recommends 12 hours to get all impurities out of my vehicle a/c units.

but what does he know?
He fixed my Suburban's Dual A/C unit and it now spits out -49 degree F air with the OAT at 100*F :mrgreen:

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:36 am

Put the device in a room with the aircon set to dehumidify. That dries a whole washing machine load of clothes in an hour. Your laptop should be only a few minutes.

Use a good hair dryer on the lowest setting. If the keyboard starts to melt, your hair dryer does not have a low setting.

Water rarely does much damage. When the roof blows off and clean rainwater floods the computers, only crud components die. I have saved flooded networks using the blow function of a vacuum cleaner.

The real killers are chemicals, orange juice, salt water, and Internecivus raptus saliva :shock: .

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:30 am

the Real Killer was Not the Spilled Coffee - - but the Sugar in that Coffee.
:shock:
that's what killed her Laptop.
:(

it also cost her another Coffee - - for my assistance, in purchasing another Laptop.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:42 am

Pierre wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:30 am
the Real Killer was Not the Spilled Coffee - - but the Sugar in that Coffee.
:shock:
that's what killed her Laptop.
:(
Rinsing it out with clean water (preferrably distilled, but in a pinch, any drinkable water)... then with alcohol to remove part of the water, and then letting it dry very well, might have saved it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gittiest personITW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:26 pm

:roll: Think it might be possible that after spilling the sweet coffee, breaking the laptop and having to fork out for another one, there might not be much alcohol left in the house.

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Post by coffee412 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:38 pm

I have spent years repairing laptops and have seen my share of laptops coming in with water damage. I think the most hated thing to see is a laptop or other device coming in a bag full of rice. Its just not fun to clean out. Also, Rice does nothing to prevent damage to electronics. I know a lot of people say "Rice will soak up the liquid" but rice will not touch the inside of the laptop and thats where you have to worry. Rice takes a good while to soak up liquids too.

Best practice is this:
1. turn upside down
2. Pull the power jack and remove battery.

Then the laptop should be taken somewhere to have it cleaned and inspected. Depending on what was spilled on it, It could take weeks for damage to occur and by then it is too late. If the liquid has reached the Motherboard then its time for an Ultrasonic cleaning of the MB.

Thats the way it is and there is no changing that. It is what it is.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:39 pm

+1 on coffee412 response.
Quick action is the key. Get the power off, the battery out, and get it to someone qualified--
the sooner the better. Same day attention may prevent delayed problems.

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gittiest personITW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:27 am

And to add to that, if you have radiators in the house and they happen to be on, as long as you can touch the radiator (or any heat source) without it feeling too hot (40 - 45C) leave it near or on the radiator (heat source) overnight.

when getting a wet piece of electronics in would usually open it up and let it air for a few days.
Its not necessarily the water that causes the damage but the electrolytes in the water - but if you switch off the unit before the water seeps through to the more delicate components you should be fine.

hedgehoggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hedgehoggy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am

Wow! I'm humbled by all the responses--thanks! :D My ThinkPad seems to have survived (I'm writing this on it now); turns out that there is a fairly comprehensive set of diagnostics that are accessible from the BIOS, but whether or not these exist on other brands, I can't say. Doing all of them took seven (!) hours, but no problems were found. The X1C7 does not have a battery that is easily removable, but it probably would be a good idea for someone who does to remove theirs if a spill occurs. I didn't have any rice at the time of the spill, although I can say that this method worked on a smartphone that was dunked into a lake when I attempted to go canoeing some years back. What probably saved my bacon was turning off as quickly as possible, unplugging, turning it upside down, and mopping up as much of the water as I could with paper towels, and then letting it dry tipi-style for 24 hours. The fact that ThinkPads are supposed to have spill-resistant keyboards probably didin't hurt either; that and the fact that my glass was probably only half full of filtered water.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1C7

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Spilled water on laptop/diagnostic for all systems?

Post by coffee412 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:19 pm

This might be one of those opportunities to talk about .......................... backups? :)

Glad everything worked out for you. You were really lucky. I would do a backup right a way though just in case things go south. Might get some corrosion starting and eventually kill the laptop.

Just saying right? :)
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm

half full of filtered water
Or half empty?

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:52 pm

wanna really mess up a computer?

spill a Coca Cola Original Formula on it :oops:

Return to “Newbie Questions”