Loving Linux Mint! Have come a long way since the days of Commodore.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Vic20
Level 1
Level 1

Loving Linux Mint! Have come a long way since the days of Commodore.

Post by Vic20 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi guys, new to Linux Mint and loving it so far. My first computer was a Commodore Vic 20, I picked it up in 1983 and what I've seen over the years with the advancements in computing I could write a book upon. There has always been trendy things hit the market and rarely do I waste time upon them unless they stick around and prove their usefulness. I see in the current times people tossing out perfectly good hardware and systems and replacing them for the latest and greatest without putting into consideration that the older systems can easily enough be put back to factory specs, upgraded, or in this case on my current box, turning it into a linux box and on the dirt cheap.

I've only dabbled with linux in the past, Ubuntu was my first test drive and that was many years ago, I didn't stick with it because it was just too much work to get the hardware to play ball, and that it wasn't going to be running my favourite software, but this time with Mint, I am plowing through it, partially because of Wine, partially because it's finally time to move away from windows all together and get on with my next phase in life of computing. I am getting used to Gimp and see it does have all of the features I need and am used to with Paintshop Pro, just formatted differently, I use flash 4.0 for vector and other graphics applications, exported since it's such an easy program to use for, be it sadly you can't use it for web design any more. Next is getting Moray and Pov Ray running on it so that I get my 3d graphics suite and that may be a challenge since Moray works in since with Pov Ray to render and both are windows only applications, and will make due with the Libre Office software too.

My poor Dell Latitude 630 laptop that I've been using has gone through ww3, and it's been a tough little unit, but when USB ports are barely working, DVD drive barely functions, screen is so busted up it's useless to even see just fragments on the screen, it's now time to get all of the data from there, over to the new system and this time I will be learning how to use a tp-link switch to transfer it all over rather then the painful process using removable media, so I may have some questions upon how to do that most effectively so I can finally put that laptop to rest.

I am looking forward to seeing what this new OS can do and it will be cool to customize it in a way you can't with Windows or Mac.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Loving Linux Mint! Have came a long way since the days of Commodore.

Post by Moem » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Vic20 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm
I am getting used to Gimp and see it does have all of the features I need and am used to with Paintshop Pro, just formatted differently,
Welcome, you seem to be my long lost software-sibling. :mrgreen:
I've been using Paintshop Pro for years while I was running Windows. Then when I switched to Mint, I used Wine to keep my trusty old PSP. But lately, Gimp has developed into something pretty usable and I find myself using it for more and more of the things that I used to do in PSP! I also keep Pinta and Inkscape on hand so there's always a nice array of options.

Glad to have you on board. Enjoy the Mint!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Vic20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic20 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome, and I almost opted to use my trusty PSP with Wine, but after seeing enough reviews of how robust Gimp is and testimonies from people who were Photoshop die hards, now can't live without Gimp, I am going to get up to par upon using it and leave PSP behind. There are things I use flash for too that take very few steps to achieve the same effects Photoshop and PSP do, and you might want to add that to your arsenal., Version 4.0 is the best along usability and I've tried later versions, yet they just made a mess out of the interface while adding very little along features.

I'm finding the tp-link is not so plug and play with Mint, it see's it but fails to connect, so have some work on my hands to figure out the fix, be it the laptop had zero problems picking it up since it's windows based and the tp-link was made for windows users.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi Vic20,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Loving Linux Mint! Have come a long way since the days of Commodore.

Post by kc1di » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:05 am

Hello Vic20,
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums, Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:54 am

Hello Vic20 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Yeah, the VIC 20 was on my short list just before the C64 came out along with an Apple LCII (I think that was it) and a CP/M luggable. I ended up buying a DOS box back then as it appeared to be the way of the future. I'm glad I did. Apple and M$ are about the only thing that survived from that era.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Vic20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic20 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Those were the days for sure, I wished I could have afforded the Commodore 64, I think it was in the $75.00 range, the Vic 20 was $35.00 and just a young teen back then, that was a lot of money to save up and work for, yours would have likely been far out of that league for sure. I do remember later on running OS2 on a system, it seemed way ahead of it's time, looked like Windows 98 years before 98 was on the market and I love how you could turn it completely off in the middle of many open windows and projects and it would power up exactly where you left off at with everything. I wonder why that did not take root and flourish.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:33 am

Hi @Vic20,
Welcome to the forums. Good to have you aboard.
btw: there are many old farts here--and I totally resemble that remark.
I was messing with an Atari 64bit while others were using the Commodores.
Even then we didn't homogenize in the club, as I now remember.
Ah! those were younger days.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Vic20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic20 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:40 pm

Thanks for the continued welcomes. I am finding more along non windows based software for using along what I normally do, and getting used to the new system along how to install and the rest. The old school, with web page editing, file transfer, much faster in Linux based systems. Even logging into the server control panel at my host, it's a different experience. I just updated a page at my site and it was the easiest and same clean code as what I used before, but a different html editor and system to upload to. Old fart digging the new fart options. :)

Vic20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic20 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:44 am

Moem I've worked with Gimp enough now to know, there is a reason nobody goes back to psp after learning to use Gimp. It's menu structure is different, but it's very similar to PSP and it has more then it has and it's open source should you want to actually add on to it as well. I can say with full confidence it's worth the time to get used to using it.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:02 am

Vic20 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:44 am
Moem I've worked with Gimp enough now to know, there is a reason nobody goes back to psp after learning to use Gimp. It's menu structure is different, but it's very similar to PSP and it has more then it has
I do miss the ability to draw custom shapes easily. The Gimp folks seem to be of the opinion that if you want that, you should use Inkscape. Now Inkscape's interface is a whole other can of fish... or kettle of worms.
Vic20 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:44 am
and it's open source should you want to actually add on to it as well.
I would assume one needs to be able to code in order to do that, so for me, that's a no-go area.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Vic20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic20 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 am

Google up flash 4.0 for original shapes the the like in vector graphics. I don't use the graphics software, psp/photshop included for original creations, they are only for augmenting things, they are all limited so it's necessary to have a wide array to produce actual final work.

Vic20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic20 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:30 am

It started to get buggie even with the graphics cards I used. I think it's Wine that may be taking up too much resources, ie., it's default in most systems, so stuck with the onboard graphics with it, trying out Lubuntu on it and so far it's been rock solid, going to let it just sit and run for a bit before saying this is a better route to go along linux distro's compared to Mint for the emachines.

I picked up a left for dead Dell Optiplex Gx620 and "Minted" it, it was a dead screen beeping when I go it, was just bad ram, easy enough there. It's 64 bit, but the software I rely upon is only 32 bit, so installed that version of Mint onto it. I also have another system that was originally used for sign display and was running an ancient version of XP, it's now also "Minted" and running strong. The Dell actually has far more capacity then the emachine and the rest do, so it's now my go to computer.

If the Lubuntu sticks upon the emachine, it get's a spot at my wood shop, and will be installing some remote pc software to transfer files or the like between systems at home to there and back as needed. It doesn't have to do the work, I have computers at home for that. I have plans to also get some robotics/automation going at the shop any way, it would be nice to be able to log in to there from home and get some work done.

*Update, Lubuntu did not do the trick, about ready to toss the emachine at this stage.

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:31 am

If you are looking for a replacement laptop you could get a second hand thinkpad. Cheap, built like a brick sh*t house and linux friendly. I like them so much I've got 3 x T430, last one cost me just under £100.

Krita another graphics program, sits somewhere between pinta and gimp in terms of capability.

You've already found wine, another alternative for those apps you either can't do without or can't find a linux alternative - run windows in a VM (virtualbox). I do both, run crossover (commercial version of wine) and win7 in a VM for the windows stuff I can't do without.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Vic20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic20 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:02 pm

I ended up adding PSP since after tearing through everything Gimp can do, it's still lacking in many areas, it's great for what it does, but there are lot's of tools and toys PSP has it doesn't, and as stated earlier, no actual drawing tools to boot. I can tell Gimp was inspired by PSP and will be looking into adding onto it myself, but that's a can of worms for another day. The Windows programs, Flash 4.0, Moray Ray tracer, the GUI for Pov Ray are running flawlessly with Wine on the new box, those are my main graphics suite that I rely upon and they have no other alternatives anywhere. Pov Ray is a 3d rendering program that's old school, yet it's capacity and quality is extremely high end and combined with the Moray which is a simple to use GUI that parses the Pov Ray code, it's very easy to use, far easier then 3d cad and the free price tag is always a bonus. Pov ray also is processor intensive, video and ram help capacity wise but it's not the bulk of the resources it draws upon, hoping the underclocking of using a 32 bit system on a 64 bit chip helps to keep it cooler.

I've been using Netscape Composer for web page editing, using Sea Monkey now was a very easy transition so I can finally leave Netscape behind. The reason I was using Composure is that the code was very clean and search engine friendly, Sea Monkey's version is the same.

The other box is a Technovare PN-TPC1, its specs are here: https://www.cnet.com/products/technovar ... ge-player/ I have another 2 gig ram stick to put in next, the onboard video was fully supported by Mint courtesy of it's 3rd party legit drivers it supplied to boot. It's small enough to drag around should I need to, I have not had a need to drag around a lap top for years since smart phone's have rather taken that place for myself and most people, but I will keep an eye out for yours from the computer/electronics drop of spot my relative runs regardless.

Greencedar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greencedar » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:59 am

Hello Vic20 and welcome to the forum. :D
Greencedar

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Introduce yourself”