Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Chromie
Level 2
Level 2

network->Windows network empty

Post by Chromie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:47 am

I've been getting closer to solving problems in networking Mint Cinnamon to Win7 machines. But there are some remaining bugs that are not solved by the fixes that I've seen here.

Pinging IP addresses works between all machines. So I assume hardware is OK.

Clicking on Network, then selecting "Windows Network" brings up a window with SMB:/// in the address bar. But it's empty. This occurs even if I can access the Win7 machines via "SMB://Quark/Quark_f" or whatever.

In order to make the latter address work (the SMB://Quark/Quark_f above), I needed to map the IP to machine name via entries in /etc/hosts. There should be
a simpler way. Or perhaps there is a discovery mechanism that is not working.

The Win7 machines cannot see the Linux machines until the first access to the Win7 machines by the Linux machines. That sounded more complex than it is. Win7's discovery is turned on, and the Win7 machines always see each other. But they initially do not see the Linux boxes. After Linux accesses the Win7 machines (via SMB://Quark...etc), then that particular Win7 machine can see the Linux machine.

The line "name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins" has been added to /etc/smb.conf, as per a recommendation here. No perceptible change. ufw is turned off.

That's all the info that I can think of at the moment. Hopefully, that's enough to make a guess.

Return to “Ethernet”