Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Francesco P
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can’t log in in Mint 19.2

Post by Francesco P » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Hello everybody,
I have been using Linux Mint for half of an year and now I am encountering a problem I don’t have the knowledge to solve.
In the last days Cinnamon was complaining about low space and the system summary of the recovery menu does not even show the Cinnamon partition (I can not upload a picture as I’m using my phone to write this post and the forum states that the file is too heavy). I have tried to clean up some files with the help of said recovery menu but with no success.
Trying to boot Mint after the recovery menu shows a dark-grey/black screen that will lead to the same results as Alt+Ctrl+F2 (more details below) and gives me the PTSD of last month when I messed up with the files and caused a 20-minute boot up with the same background.
Looking on the forum I found some suggestions about pressing Alt+Ctrl+F2 but it will not recognise the password and pressing Alt+Ctrl+F7 afterwards will remove the previous attempt(/s).
I’m running Cinnamon 19.2 on an ideapad330 Lenovo (8GB ram; i5-8xxx, I don’t remember the exact number of the intel card; regular and dedicated GTX1050 of 4GB graphic card) with a SSD of 256GB, it has 97GB dedicated to Windows 10, 56GB free (previously part of Windows, I wanted to add them to the Cinnamon partition but I could not do so) and the rest to Cinnamon.
Does anybody have any idea how to free up space without having the possibility to log-in?
And to add to the Cinnamon partition some adjacent space (said 56GB)? This would prevent the problem from showing up again...
Thanks again in advance if you read through all of the post.
Last edited by Francesco P on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Can’t log in in Mint 19.2

Post by WharfRat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Hello Francesco Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Boot the live/installation media and paste back a screen shot of gparted to help determine your Mint partition.
ImageImage

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Please do as WharfRat suggested.

You currently have about 103GB allocated to Mint. To me that seems more than sufficient to run a system without running into space problems.
That implies that you are using up space with something that probably should not be there.
The likely candidates are:
Timeshift
Error log files
Old Kernels.

You will need to do some work from the live disk to correct the matter & allocating the extra 56GB space to Linux should be possible (how easy depends on how you GParted of the disk looks) but I would think that finding & erasing the space eating candidate is you best solution.. :D
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-65-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

Francesco P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Francesco P » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:02 pm

The live/installation media took a while due to loss of the USB stick with the boot, but it works. Sadly I forgot to take a screenshot before allocating the extra space, so I can only attach one from the process (don't mind the time, it's +2h compared to what is says). Worthy of note is the fact that Gparted showed 5 free GB in Cinnamon even before I allocated the extra space, so it should have not caused the bug in the first place.
I believe that the timeshifts are definitely one of the culprits, but I am not sure how to check for the two other candidates (my IT skills are the same of a rock and unless I know exactly what to do/have a step-by-step guide I will not touch files) so I can not exclude or find them guilty.
I'll restart the laptop once the process has finished and edit the post & title if the problem is solved/got new pieces of information.
EDIT: now Cinnamon works, however is it normal that the "home" folder contains 127k items and weights 44.6GB while the "/" folder has 4+milion items (and still growing)? I'll attach another screenshot as soon as the file properties have finished their job
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-09-14 17-45-44.png

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:28 pm

From your Gparted pic, I noticed that your EXT4 partition is flagged as hidden. Could that be a cause?
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Francesco P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Francesco P » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:20 pm

It might be, however I don't have the palest about how to solve it (I'll have a look on this forum, I'm sure I'm not the only one who encountered this problem and the solution is already present).
I will attach another screenshot, is it normal that the "/" folder has the whopping amount of 9.4M files and weights 96.7GB? Besides a few applets and Steam (but not the games, they are on a different hard disk) I don't have anything installed that could increase the weight of the folder.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-09-14 21-05-17.png

Return to “Installation & Boot”