Need Recommendations for Key Chain... [SOLVED]

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Need Recommendations for Key Chain... [SOLVED]

Post by Portreve » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 pm

I recently bought a new (to me, actually used, but that doesn't matter) car, and I keep having a problem.

The car came with a key fob as well as the key, and when it's in my pocket, the trunk release button keeps getting pressed. Obviously there's also the opportunity for other buttons (lock, unlock) to be pressed. This clearly presents a problem.

I don't want to wear my keys directly exposed to the general public (i.e. hanging off my belt) but I will entertain all suggestions.

I'm looking for thoughts and input on some kind of alternative way to keep my keys and the car's key fob on my person without constantly risking popping the trunk or doing anything else.

Thanks so much in advance!
Last edited by Portreve on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen Buddhism: The Journey Is The Reward
Realist: The Gurney Is The Reward

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

“They said my computer wasn't strong enough for Windows 10, so I had to get one with more strongerness.”
— Overheard random customer

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Need Recommendations for Key Chain...

Post by catweazel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Portreve wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 pm
I'm looking for thoughts and input on some kind of alternative way to keep my keys and the car's key fob on my person without constantly risking popping the trunk or doing anything else.
There's the American screwdriver (a hammer to everyone else :)) solution. Disconnect the battery.

<runs away>
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MrEen » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Portreve wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 pm
I recently bought a new (to me, actually used, but that doesn't matter) car, and I keep having a problem.

The car came with a key fob as well as the key, and when it's in my pocket, the trunk release button keeps getting pressed. Obviously there's also the opportunity for other buttons (lock, unlock) to be pressed. This clearly presents a problem.

I don't want to wear my keys directly exposed to the general public (i.e. hanging off my belt) but I will entertain all suggestions.

Thanks so much in advance!
Just a heads up. It's mildly posible it's not the fob causing this. I bought a Chevy Trailblazer (used) last month and the hatch lock/release "activates" AFTER I've opened it, and again after I've I've closed it (it's the unlock that's actually happening, it doesn't make it open back up.) I just read this week it's probably a broken/damaged wire at the liftgate. I haven't gotten to it yet, but here's the post that clued me in: https://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=208513

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RollyShed » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 pm

A wide range of solutions but the simplest way is a surround so the button is recessed. A thick bit of cardboard with a hole in the middle glued on. An O ring of the right diameter glued on with contact glue. A rubber grommet, such as used in metal panels to protect wiring or tubes going through it, split to half thickness and glued on.

The surrounding material doesn't have to be too close to the size of the hole, but big enough that a finger can poke through enough to activate the button if the button is small.
Last edited by RollyShed on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Personally, I would not own a car with keyless fob, security is just one of the reason. That said, you can get a small RF proof container to put the fob into.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RollyShed » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:11 am

athi wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:25 pm
Personally, I would not own a car with keyless fob,
How many vehicles newer than say 2010 don't use keyless? My 2000 van has both a key and fob. My partner's 2013 Subaru is keyless but in desperation there is a sort-of key somewhere in the fob.
That said, you can get a small RF proof container to put the fob into.
As the problem described is mechanical, the unit in the RF container still gets activated and flattens the battery so that when needed it doesn't work. Yes? No?

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:09 am

The last car I had — for eleven years — had an integrated remote. I've had a key fob before, but I don't remember this dirt of thing ever being a problem. Honestly, I don't know why.

As to it being a wiring or other on-board problem, I actually had the trunk latch replaced because the unit it came with was damaged and would no longer operate.

I'm trying to have easier, better access to the key and the fob. I have to say this is kind of making me wish the car was keyless because then I could just keep the fob tucked away safely and most of the time never need to even touch it, and keep the rest of my keys handy in a conventional pocket.

“They said my computer wasn't strong enough for Windows 10, so I had to get one with more strongerness.”

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Ok, I've got it sorted. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Return to “Open chat”