Level 1
Level 1

problems installation nvidier drivers

Post by zeiren » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi,

I tried to install nvidia drivers for my GPU ( GTX 1080 ) with this command:

Code: Select all

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
But now, sometimes, I have to add "text" in grub to login without freeze and when I try to purge nvidia drivers with

sudo apt remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'
I have this error (in french; there is a approximative translation below:

dpkg a été interrompu. Il est nécessaire d'utiliser « sudo dpkg --configure -a » pour corriger le problème.
In English:

dpkg has been interrupted. It is necessary to use "sudo dpkg --configure -a" to correct the problem.
But when I run

sudo dpkg --configure -a
I see dpkg try to do something with nvidia drivers but I don't know what exactly because just after that, my pc reboot and show a black screen and reboot again and again with this black screen with a single white dash (left-middle horizontally and center vertically position)

Thanks for your help :)

Edit1: Now, the add of "text" in grub isn't necessary. This is what happens when I run the command

sudo dpkg --configure -a

redx87
Level 3
Level 3

Re: problems installation nvidier drivers

Post by redx87 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:12 am

zeiren wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 pm
Hi,

I tried to install nvidia drivers for my GPU ( GTX 1080 ) with this command:

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
Hi zeiren,
I don't know what Linux distro you're using but I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 card and have it running fine in my Linux Mint 19.1 64bit cinnamon desktop pc. It was easy enough to do and I don't see why it won't work for your gtx1080 card. If you are running Linux 64bit you need version:436.30 driver for your card. https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

I didn't use all that command line stuff you used, the simple steps I used to get mine running were as follows -

I first found which driver was needed for my card on the Nvidia website. For my gtx1050 I needed version #430.14 and when I had that driver information, I did this -

1. I added the graphics driver repository to my system with the following command into a command Terminal (without the quotes)

“sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa”

2. Then I updated the system with -

“sudo apt update” (again without quotes)

3. I exited terminal when done and then opened my Linux Mint's “Driver Manager” from the start menu, and selected the Nvidia driver number #430 that I needed from the list. It took some time for the change to complete and I restart O/S when prompted.

This procedure installs a bunch of Nvidia Linux drivers from #390 upwards. I use #430 for my gtx 1050 graphics card and when I had changed to that number my card worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Hardware Support”