Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
brahmac75
Level 1
Level 1

Not booting from Linux Mint

Post by brahmac75 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:08 pm

My HP Probook 6570b has been preloaded with linux Mint and in that i have installed windows 10 in a seperate partition and now it is booting from windows 10. I could not dual boot the system. Many of the apps are installed on that linux mint. So pls suggest me how to make a dual boot. It is not possible for me to reinstall the linux mint again. the partition it is showing as spare. But i could not do the dual boot. Pls help me out on this.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Not booting from Linux Mint

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:17 am

Code: Select all

blkid
lsblk
paste results of above commands done in terminal. I suspect you may only need to repair grub boot loader.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

brahmac75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brahmac75 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:08 am

do i need to type this in windows prompt

brahmac75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brahmac75 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:45 am

i need to recover the grub from windows. it is only starting windows. so pls suggest me how to dual boot windows and linux

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 am

I was tired, thought it was windows not booting. Instead, after installing windows, you have to repair the grub bootloader, and use that for booting linux or windows, whichever you want to use at the time. Read this article, do what it says, and you should be back in business.

https://www.howtogeek.com/114884/how-to ... wont-boot/
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:26 am

What happened is that when you installed Windows it pushed Grub out of the way and installed its own bootloader. You're going to need to download the appropriate Mint ISO and burn it to USB flash drive. Both things can be done in Windows. Once you boot the Mint ISO (bringing up what's called a live session), you can do the Grub repair Spearmint2 suggests. You actually should have such a live boot USB anyway, as it's useful for various system modification and repair tasks. For information on how to download and burn the ISO, see the official Installation Guide.

Meanwhile, so we have an overview of your system, in Windows, right-click Start, select Run, type in msinfo32 and hit Enter. This will report a system summary. With your mouse, select the first fourteen lines (down to BIOS Mode), Ctrl-C to copy, then paste into this thread. Also let us know how much memory you have and what sort of hard drive(s).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Installation & Boot”