Looking for love.. and games.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ThatGodotGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for love.. and games.

Post by ThatGodotGuy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:20 am

Greetings to all fellow Mint users,
My name is Sean and I have a long tale of woe. However, as I suspect you have problems of your own I shall try to keep it short and specific.
I am back living with my parents while going through a messy divorce and I am severely depressed and taking both prescribed and self medication (Yes, I'm a bit less than sober right now). I started using Mint about 6 months ago after a few years of 'dabbling' in Ubuntu. So far I have had one problem specifically with Mint, only one. I use blender, Godot, and am learning Krita, plus doing everything else a normal human does on a desktop. Which leads to gaming...
I used to play GTA5 to relieve stress back in the day, so I want a similar game now. Can at least one of you point me to that which I seek?

Games I have loved: X-COM and XCOM, Hitman series, FTL, Space Hulk and Ascension, all Tomb Raider games, Project Zomboid, Minecraft, Supertuxcart, Wayward, and Kerbal Space Program.
The kind of game I want: Project Firestart (C64), Tekken or Tobal 2 (PS 1 and 2), Burnout 3 (PS2) roadrage mode, The Savage Empire (IBM 1990)

Plus, I would also like a hug.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Looking for love.. and games.

Post by xenopeek » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 am

Sorry to read about your circumstance but a warm welcome to the Linux Mint forums anyway!

Steam has thousands of games available for Linux, and thousands more games for Windows that will also run on Linux through Steam Play (Proton). GTA5 isn't my type of game (prefer RPGs) so I don't have alternatives to suggest for that. Sorry. I think all the other games you mentioned you played are available on Linux.

You can browse Steam games available for Linux here: https://store.steampowered.com/search/? ... 8&os=linux. You can narrow by tags to find games you might be interested in. I'd suggest installing the Steam client if you haven't already, as the Steam store offers more ways to find games you may enjoy.

GOG also sell many Linux games. You can browse their selection here: https://www.gog.com/games?sort=populari ... _ubuntu_18.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:25 am

everyone should try The Talos Principle once in their life

ThatGodotGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThatGodotGuy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:41 am

Thanks for the advice, I haven't been to GOG yet. Checking it out now.

Zeddrich
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Zeddrich » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:05 am

itch.io is another site I come across(it actually might be something I spotted in here) that has a linux filter on games... they are indie games mostly.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:13 pm

And if he or she is cleaning you out financially as well, you may wish to note that the EPIC Games store hands out one or more free games every week until the end of the year still. Not Linux specific, but hey, ...

guythp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guythp » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:29 am

In a similar situation myself and although I realise this isn't what you asked, why not pick up a 2nd-hand ps2? I got one for £20 (then picked up a cheap flat-screen tv for a tenner) - c-ex has ps2 games a-plenty at a reasonable price (burnout included - over the course of getting the ps2 I now have all five burnout games, plus gta 3san andreas (50p at a charity shop) and ps2 consoles and collections frequently crop up on gumtree and the likes.

Back to linux; 'minetest' is a free open source minecraft style game (it's slightly different to minecraft but is in essence an equivalent), 'warzone 2100' is a real-time strategy game that seems pretty decent, both are available through the software manager in mint. There's also a coupe of turn-based strategy games that may fill your x-com needs listed in the software manager (the names of which escape me at the moment).

With regards the playstation games, there are a few psx emulators available for linux so it might be worth looking into that (as well as C64 which you mentioned) - I must confess I've not tried these, the only emulator I use on my laptop is Hatari. For everything else retro I use a raspberry pi 3 running retropie.

Ahmed_Elsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ahmed_Elsayed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:01 pm

Addictive games to help you pass a good portion of time without feeling bored:

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition
Darksiders Warmastered Edition
Batman Arkham (Asylum & City)
Doom 2016
Dragon Age series
Mafia II
Neir Automata
Prototype 1 & 2
The Cave
The Witcher 2 & 3
Titanfall 2
X-Men Origins Wolverine

If you like games with a good story I recommend you these games:

A Plague Tale Innocence
Draugen
Dreamfall The Longest Journey
Firewatch
Life is Strange series
Oxenfree
The Walking Dead series
The Wolf Among Us
What Remains of Edith Finch

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:10 pm

Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:01 pm
Those two are in fact among the 6 free games being given out free by EPIC this week.

As to 'good story' I from his examples sort of gathered that was not the primary idea here though...

Ahmed_Elsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ahmed_Elsayed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:21 pm

rene wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:10 pm
Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:01 pm
Those two are in fact among the 6 free games being given out free by EPIC this week.

As to 'good story' I from his examples sort of gathered that was not the primary idea here though...
He will need Lutris to install, and use Epic Launcher. Steam has way better compatibility with Linux.

I don't know if he like games with a good story or not, but it is good to have a game with slow pace, and a good story between 2 action games to relax a little bit, and regenerate.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:46 pm

For what it's worth, as to your enumeration of story-games I only do not know the first two; have (parts of, as to the series ones) all others. Given a backlog of a hundred games or so anyway I'll wait for those first two to be on sale but thanks for the tip; added to my watch/wish-list...

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”