[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, how to install & use KDE [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
theeo123
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, how to install & use KDE [SOLVED]

Post by theeo123 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm

As A preface I DID try to search around for this, and my problem is not that I found no solution but I found too many different solutions, many of them very recent.
After trying a few of them I had mixed success. More than once I to use Timeshift to rollback my system as it became unstable.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop kde-plasma-desktop kscreen
was one of the more frequently mentioned methods

I also see KDE-standard and KDE-Full in the software manager,

another method mentioned adding

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
and then

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop 
At this point I'm tired of refreshing the system So I thought I'd ask here
what is the best, most stable, way to install and run KDE on my Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon system ?
Last edited by theeo123 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, how to install & use KDE

Post by catweazel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:01 pm

theeo123 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm
what is the best, most stable, way to install and run KDE on my Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon system ?
You shouldn't do that. You've created a Frankendesktop. You could start with LM Xfce and go from there, but if it's KDE that you want, install a KDE-based distro. Generally, you shouldn't mix DEs. I use and recommend KDE neon.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

theeo123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by theeo123 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm

That makes me a little sad,
I've grown to Love mint. Especially the great support I've gotten here on the mint forums. but I do like the experiences I've had with KDE. I'm not familiar with Neon as a distro but I'll look into it. Thank you

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:50 pm

theeo123 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm
That makes me a little sad,
I've grown to Love mint. Especially the great support I've gotten here on the mint forums. but I do like the experiences I've had with KDE. I'm not familiar with Neon as a distro but I'll look into it. Thank you
Mixing DEs can be done, but as you've found out, it often requires a fair amount of work to maintain. There are some distros that will let you install multiple DEs, where the developers have done all the hack work that you've discovered is necessary.

Unfortunately, the Mint devs have seen fit to discontinue producing a KDE spin. The latest and last KDE for LM is 18.3, which is supported until 2021. As for support, the neon forums are quite good.

I use neon :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

theeo123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by theeo123 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Thank you so much for your help, you've been a constant source of knowledge on several of my posts, and I'm learning more each day.
I tried my hand at Manjaro-KDE but has serious problems with both WINE and Samba which were deal breakers. From what I've seen at a quick glance KDE-Neon might be a very good fit.

Thanks again

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, how to install & use KDE [SOLVED]

Post by pbear » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Not to discourage you from trying KDE Neon, but you also should consider Kubuntu. Or maybe try that next if KDE Neon doesn't work for you.

To be clear, I've not used either one as my main Linux system. I only have them installed in test boxes for comparison.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

theeo123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by theeo123 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Ok Tried Neon had some issues with it trying to install the wrong Video card drivers, tried Kubuntu, tried Manjaro

Getting frustrated, Samba/file-sharing on KDE seems to be a real mess,
Wine's support, and EASY file sharing are deal breakers for me. I like the KDE look feel, the effects, the wobbly windows, and all that cheesy stupid little stuff but it's not worth having a system that won't function So I may be back on Linux Mint very soon

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Each of those distributions has a forum, you know.
You can pursue issues with them before throwing in the towel.
Or not, if you've already invested as much time as it's worth to you.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

theeo123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by theeo123 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 pm

Manjaro treated me rather unkindly when I tried their forum, which is a shame because overall it seems like a great distro. I tried for about a week to get file sharing working the way I want, and have had no success.

In Mint it just works out of the box with no problems for me

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:29 pm

theeo123 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 pm
Manjaro treated me rather unkindly when I tried their forum, which is a shame because overall it seems like a great distro. I tried for about a week to get file sharing working the way I want, and have had no success.

In Mint it just works out of the box with no problems for me
There is an article in the tutorials forum (at least that's where I think it is) by forum admin xenopeek that shows how to install KDE over the top of xfce. I'll see if I can find it... a few seconds later... viewtopic.php?t=267121

You should read and understand the entire thread before you try it.

Quod vide: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=273422

theeo123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by theeo123 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Thank you So Much!!

I might try it, but I am trying to take to hear what you said about creating a frankendesktop, i may just stick to Cinnamon for now, and make sure everything is working and stable first

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:06 am

theeo123 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:58 pm
I am trying to take to hear what you said about creating a frankendesktop
If you follow advice at the first link then that at the end of the second link to uninstall xfce, it should work quite satisfactorily. Perhaps you could try it in a virtual machine.

theeo123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by theeo123 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:12 am

Also a very good idea, thank you

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 am

theeo123 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:12 am
Also a very good idea, thank you
No worries. Just don't install virtualbox from the software manager or ubuntu repositories. Let me know if you need help installing it and I'll post the instructions for you.

theeo123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by theeo123 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:00 am

No worries, worked with Vbox a lot before making the switch to Linux, I'm more or less familiar with it. But again thank you for being such a big help.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:04 am

theeo123 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:00 am
But again thank you for being such a big help.
It's a genuine pleasure :)

rmsci
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rmsci » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:41 am

You haven't really said why KDE will not install. From what you wrote you were on the right path to getting it installed. Use kubuntu backport then install kubutntu-desktop, etc.

I just upgraded a system to mint 19.2 and then installed KDE on it successfully. The second one I have done.

There is an issue though. An old version of a package creates a conflict because it is no longer maintained by Mint and KDE needs it installed.

The package software-properties-kde (0.96.x) in Linux Mint 19.x creates a conflict with mintsources (1.8.x).

The way to resolve this properly is to install software-properties-kde (1.8.0 or greater). This can be obtained from UbuntUpdates.org: Download 1.8.0 package for Tara here (Tessa version 1.8.4 also available): https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/m ... erties-kde

The 1.8.x version contains almost nothing and depends only on mintsources being installed. Thereby eliminating the conflict for Mint and allowing kubuntu-desktop and other software to install correctly.

I have fixed a system that had this exact problem, where I forced the old 0.96.x version in only to have an issue with mintupdate constantly wanting to install mintsources 1.8.8 (in Tina) and remove kubuntu-desktop! Installing software-properties-kde 1.8.0 with dpkg gave no errors, then trying mintupdate again it installed mintsources without conflict or asking to remove kubuntu-desktop.

Good luck.

Return to “Newbie Questions”