Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5847
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by deepakdeshp » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Is it possible to have a clonezilla AND Mint Live USB boot off a single USB? If yes, please share the link.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

User avatar
blueocean
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by blueocean » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Just for you I did both on one flash drive. I partitioned it with Gparted and made two FAT32 partitions. I marked them each bootable with the flag set option. I then used Unetbootin to put Mint on sdb1 and Clonezilla on sdb2. With the PC shut down and then powered up with the flash drive attached, I used the motherboard device boot menu and each one booted fine. So the answer is yes. Why, pray tell, would you want this with flash drive being so inexpensive :shock:
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

DisturbedDragon
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by DisturbedDragon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Simple answer is HECKIN YES! I have over 20 OS and utilities on a 128GB USB Flash drive using MultiSystem. Find them here --> http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/d ... ary-amd64/

You need the gtkdialog for your system x86/AMD64 and the latest MultiSystem .deb to install.
Here is a sample of what I have on one drive.

https://imgur.com/IP8UDaV
https://imgur.com/La0KGBc
https://imgur.com/uowSait
AMD Ryzen 3700x
1TB Samsung NVMe
32GB DDR4 3200
Nvidia RTX2080 OC
-------------------------------------
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Kernel 4.15.0-65

User avatar
pbear
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2161
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by pbear » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 pm

I also use MultiSystem this way, partly for multiple live ISOs and partly for Clonezilla and a few system recovery tools.

Can be installed so will update automatically:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main'
wget -q -O - http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/multisystem.asc | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install multisystem
User interface is a bit goofy, but it works.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5847
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:28 am

DisturbedDragon wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:21 pm
Simple answer is HECKIN YES! I have over 20 OS and utilities on a 128GB USB Flash drive using MultiSystem. Find them here --> http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/d ... ary-amd64/

You need the gtkdialog for your system x86/AMD64 and the latest MultiSystem .deb to install.
Here is a sample of what I have on one drive.

https://imgur.com/IP8UDaV
https://imgur.com/La0KGBc
https://imgur.com/uowSait
20 os and utilities? That's great. I will try it and report back.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

User avatar
JOPETA
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5739
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:10 am
Location: En un lugar de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by JOPETA » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:23 am

pbear wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 pm
User interface is a bit goofy, but it works.
Yes it is, and sometimes takes a lot of time (even hangs) but it is nice when I can boot those ISO lives directly in my own language and get one of them with permanence easily. :D
Last edited by JOPETA on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)

User avatar
Pierre
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9072
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by Pierre » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:04 am

- Create your MultiBoot LiveUSB simply with MultiSystem.
- Just Drag & Drop your .iso on a window and that's it!
- MultiSystem enables a LiveUSB to do everything,
- ideal for exploring different Linux distributions without installing them on your PC, easily !

https://sourceforge.net/projects/multisystem/
pbear wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 pm
It can also be installed so will update automatically:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main'
wget -q -O - http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/multisystem.asc | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install multisystem
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5847
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:55 am

blueocean wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:43 pm
Just for you I did both on one flash drive. I partitioned it with Gparted and made two FAT32 partitions. I marked them each bootable with the flag set option. I then used Unetbootin to put Mint on sdb1 and Clonezilla on sdb2. With the PC shut down and then powered up with the flash drive attached, I used the motherboard device boot menu and each one booted fine. So the answer is yes. Why, pray tell, would you want this with flash drive being so inexpensive :shock:
One likes to explore newer things and facilities. And if we can have multiple isos in a single one, why carry multiple flash drives?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

User avatar
blueocean
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:57 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:55 am
blueocean wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:43 pm
Just for you I did both on one flash drive. I partitioned it with Gparted and made two FAT32 partitions. I marked them each bootable with the flag set option. I then used Unetbootin to put Mint on sdb1 and Clonezilla on sdb2. With the PC shut down and then powered up with the flash drive attached, I used the motherboard device boot menu and each one booted fine. So the answer is yes. Why, pray tell, would you want this with flash drive being so inexpensive :shock:
One likes to explore newer things and facilities. And if we can have multiple isos in a single one, why carry multiple flash drives?
I figured so. Well now you have a couple options. Mine is simple for 2 or 3 on one device.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5847
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Pierre wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:04 am
- Create your MultiBoot LiveUSB simply with MultiSystem.
- Just Drag & Drop your .iso on a window and that's it!
- MultiSystem enables a LiveUSB to do everything,
- ideal for exploring different Linux distributions without installing them on your PC, easily !

https://sourceforge.net/projects/multisystem/
pbear wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 pm
It can also be installed so will update automatically:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main'
wget -q -O - http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/multisystem.asc | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install multisystem
Thanks for your post. I installed Clonezilla and Mint on a USB. I get option to choose both. CZ boots fine but Mint gives problem. Error is you need to load the kernel first.The iso is good because it works as a standalone boot.
Will test some other iso.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

User avatar
JOPETA
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5739
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:10 am
Location: En un lugar de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by JOPETA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:05 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Error is you need to load the kernel first
This error, usually is because something is wrong in GRUB the menu entry for LM (maybe linux line).

Code: Select all

menuentry "linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso" {
search --set -f "/linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso"
loopback loop "/linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso"
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/linuxmint.seed boot=casper locale=es_ES bootkbd=es console-setup/layoutcode=es console-setup/variantcode= iso-scan/filename=/linuxmint-18-xfce-64bit.iso noprompt quiet splash --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
Did you edit and change Multisystem GRUB files ?

If you did not, maybe something went wrong with the LM Iso installation. Try removing and installing again.
Last edited by JOPETA on Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5847
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:10 am

JOPETA wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:05 am
deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Error is you need to load the kernel first
This error, usually is because something is wrong in GRUB the menu entry for LM. Did you edit and change Multisystem GRUB files ?

If you did not, maybe something went wrong with the LM Iso install and need to be removed and installed again.
I tried with the Windows version and it worked.
Here are possibilities.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/windowsrep ... are/%3famp
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

User avatar
JOPETA
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5739
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:10 am
Location: En un lugar de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

Re: Dual boot on a Mint live USB.

Post by JOPETA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:38 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:10 am
I tried with the Windows version and it worked.
There is no Multisystem version for Windows. Those are other tools for Windows. I tried most of them (but the first one) in the past and they were not so easy to use as Multisystem.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)

Post Reply

Return to “Installation & Boot”