Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
theraja57
Level 1
Level 1

0 disk space

Post by theraja57 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:59 am

Mint 19 - worked fine for 10 months. powered up last week and got some lengthy error message, went into a terminal mode (I believe it may be GRUB) and asked for login. The crux of the error messages I've gotten are 0 disk space. long story short, I booted using USB to try to restore thru timeshift. It went thru the process but finished "with errors" and didn't solve anything. I think there was a 0 disk space message here also. I checked timeshift in FILES and there are about a dozen snapshots taking a lot of space each and I believe the partition is 60GB. I tried to delete some of the snapshots but the delete is grayed out so no success there. I really don't want to reinstall Linux when I know I have valid snapshots to fall back on. Any experience out there?

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Re: 0 disk space

Post by JerryF » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:08 am

Using Timeshift to go back to a previous point won't delete files to free up disk space, especially its own files.

With the booted USB, you'll need to use the sudo command in Terminal or the File Manager as root to delete/move files from the hard drive.

After doing that and getting your hard drive to boot, set the settings on Timeshift so that it doesn't create so many snapshots.

EDIT: Follow Pjotr's suggestions. He's more knowledgeable than I am.
Last edited by JerryF on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:10 am

You should be able to do some emergency cleaning by selecting Advanced options in the Grub bootloader menu. Then boot into Recovery.

The cleaning you can do then, should enable you to boot normally again.

Afterwards, do some thorough cleaning like this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html

Pay extra attention to removing Timeshift snapshots (item 7 on that web page).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:24 am

theraja57 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:59 am
Mint 19 - worked fine for 10 months. powered up last week and got some lengthy error message, went into a terminal mode (I believe it may be GRUB) and asked for login.
In addition to Pjotr's cleaning, if you've been updating for 10 months and not cleaning the apt cache, when you're at the console/terminal, try this (it's harmless):

Code: Select all

df
sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
df
There could be GBs worth of .deb files there; the df is to see if your disk usage went down.

If you've been updating kernels and not removing any, in an emergency you could just delete some of the kernel files (then fix it properly later when yuo can login normally), but make sure not to delete the kernel you boot into:

ls -l /boot
ls -l /lib/modules
Then e.g. you could

sudo rm -r /lib/modules/4.15.0-20*
if you're sure your not using 4.15.0-20
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:40 am

You can of course remove all unused but still installed kernels with this code below, it will not remove your active kernel so is safe...it is highly recommended to be sure that after your cleaned out and booting normally again to install at least one backup kernel to the active one, usually the number just before the active kernel is the one to pick so you have a way to retreat from the active one if you ever have to...DAMIEN

Remove ALL Old Kernels Except Active Kernel: Just "copy and Paste" the whole code into your "terminal", provide password when asked and then press "enter".

dpkg-query -W -f '${Version}\n' 'linux-image-[^g]*'|sort -u|sed -e '/^$/d' -e 's/\~[^~]*$//' -e 's/\.[^.]*$//' -e "/$(uname -r|sed 's/-generic\|-lowlatency//')/d" -e 's/.*/linux-*-&*/'|tr '\n' ' '|xargs -r sudo apt-get remove --purge -y
ORDO AB CHAO

theraja57
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theraja57 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:47 am

1st, tried Damien's suggestion. Error -w unknown option. 2nd, tried emergency cleaning with CLEAN and DPKG, didn't free any space. 3rd, tried deleting *.deb and got no such file or directory. It seems that if I can find a way to delete a few of the snapshot folders or some other non-essential folders I could use timeshift to restore. any suggestions?

Larry78723
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Have you run Flemur's code, one line at a time, yet?

df
sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
df

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:04 pm

theraja57 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:47 am
1st, tried Damien's suggestion. Error -w unknown option. 2nd, tried emergency cleaning with CLEAN and DPKG, didn't free any space. 3rd, tried deleting *.deb and got no such file or directory. It seems that if I can find a way to delete a few of the snapshot folders or some other non-essential folders I could use timeshift to restore. any suggestions?
If you want to directly delete your snapshot folders, boot your USB of Mint, then open File Manager. Go to your Timeshift folder where the snapshots are. Right-click on a empty area and choose Open as root (or something like that) so that you can delete the folders.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Return to “Installation & Boot”