Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
morgs88
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot Win10 and Linux mint 19.2

Post by morgs88 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Hey all, haven't tried dual booting for aa while, but i needed s few windows programs so i thought i'd give it a shot, windows installed, the I put on Linux Mint 19.2 and after the CMOS screen the screen goes black, no cursor nothing, don't think it's a hardware failure. maybe i setup the partitions incorrectly but i have no idea how to attempt to fix this, I was thinking a gparted live usb might help, puity i can't even get a cursor, anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Brett

JOPETA
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Dual boot Win10 and Linux mint 19.2

Post by JOPETA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:55 am

Some useful details are required to get help. The way Windows is/was installed (UEFI or BIOS Legacy), the way you created, booted and installed LM,... at least your PC brand and model.

Now I only can recommend you to get into your BIOS/UEFI settings in order to boot Mint's Live again. Usually there's a function key to provide you a boot menu with the options detected by the system (according with you BIOS/UEFI settings and w/o order). If you know it you can press it as soon as your maker's logo/name appears on stating the computer. Choose your live media option (DVD/USB or EFI device) to boot.

Then, on the live session, open a terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T) and post back following codes results using the forum editor's option </> code (look here if you don´t know how to do it).

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxnz
sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:14 am

but i needed s few windows programs
Rather than dual booting you could install virtualbox and run windows in a VM. It's what I do for those few windows programs I can't do without. No good for gaming though.

Note - gparted is on the mint installation usb stick, so you don't need to download and create a 'gparted live' usb.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

morgs88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morgs88 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:52 pm

Thanks guys, I used a recovery disc iso someone posted in another thread, then did a reinstall, cheers, appreciate the help, thank you!

Return to “Installation & Boot”