Trouble dual booting Samsung laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
notre_poubelle
Level 1
Level 1

Trouble dual booting Samsung laptop

Post by notre_poubelle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:21 am

Hi,

I have an old Samsung laptop, model hoyt6yk. It has Windows 10 on it, and I'm attempting to dual boot it with Linux Mint 19.2. In order to install mint, I had to change a bunch of BIOS settings. Before changes, there was a Windows Boot manager selected.

I disabled "Fast BIOS Mode". I also disabled Secure Boot. For OS Model Selection, I chose UEFI and Legacy OS. By doing this, I was able to boot to mint live USB, and install Mint in a dual boot configuration. After the install, I can boot into Mint without a problem. However, I'm having trouble booting into Windows, by selecting Windows 8 on the GRUB boot menu. When I select this option, I immediately see an error message:

Windows fails to start....

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

Any idea how I can get a dual boot working with both Mint and Windows 10?

Actually, I have a workaround, by not using the grub menu :)

I can still boot into Windows (albeit with some difficulty) by:
1. On the laptop startup press F10 quickly
2. In the menu that appears, select Windows Boot Manager

So, maybe I should just edit the grub menu to remove the Windows 8 option or something....

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Trouble dual booting Samsung laptop

Post by athi » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:52 am

Please boot into Mint and run below commands in Terminal (ctrl+alt+t) to output system information and post results.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Trouble dual booting Samsung laptop

Post by AndyMH » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:08 am

I think your problem is that windows was installed in UEFI mode and mint has installed in legacy mode.

I had a similar problem on a Thinkpad T430 but the other way round. I set the BIOS to 'Both (UEFI first)' then installed win10 and then installed lubuntu. lubuntu complained it couldn't find an EFI partition so I had to create one, it then installed okay but no win on the grub menu and not showing in os-prober. I think win10 installed itself in legacy mode. The only way I could boot win was in the BIOS boot menu and selecting the windows boot loader - same as you.

You can check this - run gparted from mint (if not installed install from software manager or run from the mint live usb). You should see a small (<500MB) partition formatted FAT32 and with the flags esp and boot set. This is your EFI partition. If you mount it (can do this in gparted) and have a look inside (with the file manager) you should see files/folders for both win and mint, bet you see just one.

The solution is to install both OS in the same way, either both legacy or both UEFI. But if you set BIOS to 'UEFI only' I think you might have problems booting the mint usb stick and I don't know how to fix that because I haven't tried it. I wasn't bothered as that T430 is my test laptop, I simply wiped the drive and reinstalled win and linux in legacy mode. Win now appears in the grub menu and I can either boot ferens OS (changed from lubuntu) or win.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Newbie Questions”