Has anyone installed Linux on a Lenovo E590?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Has anyone installed Linux on a Lenovo E590?

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Lenovo's page re compatibility does not list the E590 as compatible but I am not sure why because a few people seem to have done so with only minor issues.

I despise W10 and want to erase it from my new Lenovo E-590 so am looking for feedback from people who may have tried to do it.
If you've done it successfully, is it a dual boot or just Linux?
Did you have to do anything special in installing Linux?
Any tips and info would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Has anyone installed Linux on a Lenovo E590?

Post by deepakdeshp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:18 am

The way ahead is to just install the os, and list any problems here.
Install process.
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... tions.html
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks. I could surely forge ahead.
But I'd still like to know if anyone has done it with my model of Lenovo because I've heard of some issues due to the way Lenovo makes their computers. I think it might help avoid some headaches if I find someone who's done it.

dorsetUK
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dorsetUK » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:06 am

Hi wannabelinuxguy

before I bought my Lenovo Yoga 300 I googled it + linux and found positive results. Then I went to the Lenovo site and checked e.g. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/Thi ... -p/4388721, then I put Mint on a USB drive and tested it, then I installed it.

Jon

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Unfortunately I didn't check before buying my Lenovo because I wrongly assumed that ANY Windows computer could run Linux.

But then after buying it and hearing of some issues with Linux, I went to Lenovo's list of compatible computers and found it's not listed there.

I also saw an article that says that Lenovo computers with RAID in certain configs won't work with Linux.
Here is an article which kind of bears that out - it worked but with a lot of hassle it appears to me, but with a Y520 not an E590.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linu ... -p/3694784

Also when I asked at the Lenovo forum if my E590 would work with Linux or not i was told this by a Lenovo "Social Support" Agent there:
"You can still install Linux OS and you can install the drivers manually but there is a possibility that you might be experiencing issues in the future."

So here's the thing:
I'm a newbie to Linux and not adept at changing bios and other things that sometimes seem necessary. I can get through it with help but I'm not exactly confident or knowledgeable.

So I probably WILL forge ahead at some point and HOPE I get it done right and it works well afterwards.

But you can perhaps understand my reticence in erasing my W10 OS and installing something that Lenovo may not even be designed to work with, on my brand new computer that I need to last for at least 5 years. I'm on a limited income.

So I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I knew someone who's installed Linux with this model and had no issues. That thread you linked seems to still have no solution to the noise issue at boot. Some say the new Linux "kernel" will work okay but I'm still hesitant. Not knowing what is causing the noise issue at boot makes me wonder if there could be some damage going on and I can't afford to buy another new computer if my new one breaks.

I know this is a Mint forum, but what are the chances that MX or DeepIn might work better with my Lenovo?

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Have you tried running Mint from a live disk?
That might highlight any issues you are facing if you install it .
The same would be true of any other Distribution you might like to try if Mint presented insurmountable issues running live.

If nothing Linux seemed to work then you could always keep Windows 10 & create a VirtualBox guest of Mint & do all your computer work there.
The system specs of the Lenovo E590 suggest that would still be reasonably quick.
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-72-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

dorsetUK
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dorsetUK » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:05 am

Hi wannabelinuxguy, have you thought dual booting?

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... iboot.html

Jon

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:17 pm

dorsetUK wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:05 am
Hi wannabelinuxguy, have you thought dual booting?

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... iboot.html

Jon
My goal is to GET RID OF WINDOWS 10 completely from my computer!
After buying my Lenovo, 5 days later Windows updated and completely stopped working! I could not use Search, could not open control panels window, could not do anything really! Took me hours and hours of trying things like System Restore and Windows Repair to no avail... then finally something called Refresh which in20 years of using Windows I had never heard of before, fixed it.

But I don't want to wait for the next major update before I get rid of Windows 10, I want to do it as soon as I can be confident that some Linux distro will work well for me.

Also I had a nightmare setting up dual boot on my old HP W7 laptop. Don't wanna go through that again...
But I appreciate the suggestions.

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:20 pm

RIH wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:39 pm
Have you tried running Mint from a live disk?
That might highlight any issues you are facing if you install it .
The same would be true of any other Distribution you might like to try if Mint presented insurmountable issues running live.

If nothing Linux seemed to work then you could always keep Windows 10 & create a VirtualBox guest of Mint & do all your computer work there.
The system specs of the Lenovo E590 suggest that would still be reasonably quick.
I do plan to try a live disk soon. But if a live disk works does that necessarily mean that the distro would work well if it was my only OS? I'm not sure if that is true or not...?

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:38 pm

wannabelinuxguy wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:20 pm
I do plan to try a live disk soon. But if a live disk works does that necessarily mean that the distro would work well if it was my only OS? I'm not sure if that is true or not...?
Nothing in this world is certain except death and taxes, but for all practical purposes if the Live Disc works then the installation will likely work. After all that is the point of testing with Live Disc.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 pm

I believe that if the live disk works then that is a very strong indication that a full install will also work.
The full install might not work with complete satisfaction out of the box when loaded, but in many, many cases it will.
In the cases that it does not work immediately on install then I think that the fact that the live disk did work is as strong an indication as you are likely to get that it can be made to work with some adjustments.

Conversely, if the live disk does not work - you are probably better off looking for another solution than Mint.

But, as Cliff says, very few things are absolutes!!
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-72-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:59 pm

RIH wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 pm
I believe that if the live disk works then that is a very strong indication that a full install will also work.
The full install might not work with complete satisfaction out of the box when loaded, but in many, many cases it will.
In the cases that it does not work immediately on install then I think that the fact that the live disk did work is as strong an indication as you are likely to get that it can be made to work with some adjustments.

Conversely, if the live disk does not work - you are probably better off looking for another solution than Mint.

But, as Cliff says, very few things are absolutes!!
Thanks. That's good information about the live disk. I wasn't sure if it was true or not that if the live Disk works it will likely work as an install.

I will try to get to trying a live disk Mint this weekend or very soon in any case and will report back here.
Thanks to you and Cliff for the info!

ab71e5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ab71e5 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:59 pm

So I just spend a couple of hours installing linux (Arch) on the E590, and hopefully someone will read this and save themselves some time:

I did not try the live USB first like I should have, but booted from a GParted Live (debian based) which I had lying around and create the partitions. Then, upon trying the live USB I found it got stuck on boot. Apparently, this is a firmware error which is fixed by Lenovo in a recent update. But the only officially supported way to update the firmware is through windows, which I just deleted.

After a lot of hassle I got it working, but to save you some time:

First, try the live CD/USB of the distro you want to install.
If it is not working, google the Lenovo tool to update the firmware from Windows and try again.

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Thanks a lot, ab71e5 ! That's great info to have!
I have been so busy I have not tried the usb with Mint yet but I still plan to soon, so this came at a great time! (before I decide to install Mint on my e590)
Will definitely try the USB first and then if it doesn't work will look for the firmware update!
Appreciate your post!

papaneuf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by papaneuf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Thanks for posting wannabe. I am planning to do the same as you. I have not bought the E590 yet, but wanted to ease the path to wiping Windows and installing Linux. I have been running various versions of Linux since the mid-nineties and have never had much difficulty installing. My current laptop is an Ideapad 310. I adventurously wiped windows and installed Linux Mint 18.1, and later also MX as a dual boot. No problems that I remember. In my opinion this Lenovo laptop is the best I have ever owned!

I imagine Lenovo and other manufacturers are under extreme pressure not to embrace Linux too wholeheartedly. No manufacturer that I know of advertises that their computer is easy to install Linux on....but they should. Most are. What worries me today is that the latest computers with UEFI, secure boot, TPM, and Intel ME might stand in the way of installation. Lenovo is a Chinese manufacturer and I would guess that they offer the Chinese consumer something a bit different than Windows.

I think I may have had to disable secure boot to install Mint on my Ideapad. I don't remember. Certainly there have been many people who have been through it with the E590. I would think Lenovo tech certainly knows the answer, but they just aren't saying....

Please let know how you made out!

Return to “Installation & Boot”