Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jgn2112
Level 1
Level 1

Memory full - wont allow me past the login screen

Post by jgn2112 »

I have 19.1 installed on an old HP Stream and apparently I filled up the memory without realizing it. When I get to the login screen and I type my password, it just flashes the login screen and blanks out the password field and I start over.
I'm told this is because the memory is full.
There is one huge file I know is clogging things up...how do I get to a prompt and what can someone give me a quick refresher on the commands I'll need to look through my directories for this file?
Thank you for the help.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Memory full - wont allow me past the login screen

Post by JeremyB »

You can try ctrl + alt + F2 and get to a terminal, a large file might be in /var/log

jgn2112
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Memory full - wont allow me past the login screen

Post by jgn2112 »

I managed to solve this after posting by doing a secure boot and using the cleanup option. Then I got into the terminal and removed the offending files.
I can now log in, but it's been months since I've used this computer and now the network will not connect...as in, the network icon in the lower right is the pizza slice icon with a red x on it and I cannot figure out how to enable this. Getting into settings only brings up my network, which is saved in settings, but it's like the network setting on the computer is turned off (it's a stream so there is no dedicated switch that I know of) so the internet is inaccessible.
May have to create another post.
Thanks for the help though. :-)

Return to “Software & Applications”