Before you post please read how to get help
HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Email Client

Post by HaveaMint » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 am

mraamohamed wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:41 pm
I get all that stuff, I can login through there just fine, and also login on web browser, it is just the APP that gives me the error.
When you get your error with thunderbird log in to your account with your browser and see if google notifies you of a new connection trying to access your account. Google is a pain using a client app. If your IP address changes it throws a flag to google and you will need to access through a browser to give it permission.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 am

People, the question was long answered. Gmail changed something server-side with which Mint's Thunderbird 60 is not compatible. The solution is either not using Gmail, not using Thunderbird, or using a newer Thunderbird; latter either just so as to create the Gmail account, or to install and use instead of or alongside Mint's version as per above instructions.

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:09 am

I'm running Mint 19.2 Mate and have Thunderbird 60.9.0 and have it setup as gmail account. I had no trouble getting it to setup at all...
Well, there is a trick to get it to work and recognise the login name and password, and that is, log into your gmail account with web browser, leave it open, then start thunderbird, create your gmail account login and pword (gmail login and pword) thunderbird will go thru the motions, it will detect your gmail is open and will copy everything for the setup. You MUST be logged into gmail and leave the browser open to do it.
Once thunderbird say's it was successful you can log out of your gmail account, re start thunderbird and you will be right to go.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 am

The above sounded interesting but will have to deny; does not work for me on Mint's Thunderbird 60.9.0 (when starting with a fresh profile).

kingsthane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingsthane » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 am

Also not for me unfortunately. Also on 60.9.0 with fresh 19.2 Mint Cinnamon instl'n. Have tried the as-installed Tbird user profile and have just substituted the profile from backed up Mint 19 Tbird instl'n. Neither will work.

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:18 pm

I have just (Sunday, 17.55 Central European Time) accepted the new Google certificate in Claws Mail under terribly evil, evil Windows 10.
Claws Mail is typical for damn Windows - isn't it? It works somehow anyway - and my beloved hard boned or soft virtualized Linuxii mail applications I still have to test thoroughly... :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Well this is very interesting, I thought maybe you people were right about google.. So I tried to setup my gmail account on my other mint computer 19.2 Cinnamon using thunderbird 60.9.0 and guess what...Doing exactly the same as I did to set it up on my Mate computer, I again had no trouble setting it up and it's working.
So I thought lets try the same thing on my laptop with Mint 19.2 Xfce using the same version of thunderbird and setting it up the exact same way as I did the others, and BOOM!!!...straight into without any setup problems what so ever. I did, on all the computers send myself an email with an attachment and they all send and they all arrived.
So unless your ISP has some settings set that is mucking things up, I can't see how it's not working on your computers Here are my settings for gmail on thunderbird I'll alter my email addy for security.

IMAP
Incoming Server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
User name: joeblogs111@gmail.com (your email address)
Security Settings: SSL/TLS
Authentication Method: 0Auth2

Outgoing Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
User Name: joeblogs111@gmail.com (your email address)
Authentication Method:0Auth2
Connection Security: SS/TLS
These are my setting that I use as outlined by my isp (Telstra here in OZ)
Your provider may have different setting so you may have to long onto them and search for setting up gmail account in thunderbird
POP settings are the same except for the ports.
Hope this will clear up some things for you guys
I even have it running on Evolution.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:00 pm

I expect you are not starting/testing from a new profile; that in your existing profile(s) Gmail remnants from earlier/other Gmail accounts exist. As said, my Gmail account that was added in a (much) older version also works fine for me on 60.9.0; it's starting from a new profile when it doesn't. I.e., please test after closing Thunderbird, mv ~/.thunderbird{,.orig}, and restarting thunderbird. It would be very unexpected it you can then still add a Gmail account through the normal method.

Of course, restoring your original profile is a simple matter of closing Thunderbird, rm -r ~/.thunderbird, mv ~/.thunderbird{.orig,}.

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 pm

rene wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:00 pm
I expect you are not starting/testing from a new profile; that in your existing profile(s) Gmail remnants from earlier/other Gmail accounts exist. As said, my Gmail account that was added in a (much) older version also works fine for me on 60.9.0; it's starting from a new profile when it doesn't. I.e., please test after closing Thunderbird, mv ~/.thunderbird{,.orig}, and restarting thunderbird. It would be very unexpected it you can then still add a Gmail account through the normal method.

Of course, restoring your original profile is a simple matter of closing Thunderbird, rm -r ~/.thunderbird, mv ~/.thunderbird{.orig,}.
Hi Rene
I neglected to add, that I had a full reinstall of Mint on the laptop, and I always update thunderbird to the latest version before I set my account up
I just installed thunderbird 60.9.0 on the missus Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. I then went to google and created a gmail account for her (she never has had one). I then logged into her gmail account, then went back to thunderbird, created a gmail account in thunderbird and it set everything up with no problem the same way I did mine and tested it by sending an email with attachment and it send and it received the email without a glitch. I just installed evolution on her machine, and set it up the same way with gmail and it's working also The missus has never had an email set up on her mint computer, as she has win10 on her Surface Pro and uses Em Client as her email program, and uses her telstra email account. So I have no idea what the problem others are having. Two of my mates have gmail accounts using thunderbird and they don't have a problem either..(ooops they are both on winwoes tho) so may be different.
I can only relay to you how it's working my end.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Well, there's at this point 4 or 5 reports, one from your general corner of the world (Indonesia), and I can myself testify that indeed it doesn't work from here either. So, no idea why you're lucking through, but I would not advise subsequent readers to assume things currently not working the exception rather than the rule. Will otherwise bow out though; 68.2.2 is enough of a solution as far as I'm concerned...

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:03 am

rene wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:26 pm
Well, there's at this point 4 or 5 reports, one from your general corner of the world (Indonesia), and I can myself testify that indeed it doesn't work from here either. So, no idea why you're lucking through, but I would not advise subsequent readers to assume things currently not working the exception rather than the rule. Will otherwise bow out though; 68.2.2 is enough of a solution as far as I'm concerned...
OZ= Australia..
Yes it's certainly weird

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:23 am

kato181 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 pm
rene wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Hi Rene
I neglected to add, that I had a full reinstall of Mint on the laptop, and I always update thunderbird to the latest version before I set my account up
I just installed thunderbird 60.9.0 on the missus Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. I then went to google and created a gmail account for her (she never has had one). I then logged into her gmail account, then went back to thunderbird, created a gmail account in thunderbird and it set everything up with no problem the same way I did mine and tested it by sending an email with attachment and it send and it received the email without a glitch. I just installed evolution on her machine, and set it up the same way with gmail and it's working also The missus has never had an email set up on her mint computer, as she has win10 on her Surface Pro and uses Em Client as her email program, and uses her telstra email account. So I have no idea what the problem others are having. Two of my mates have gmail accounts using thunderbird and they don't have a problem either..(ooops they are both on winwoes tho) so may be different.
I can only relay to you how it's working my end.
Ok..I did the above and I got exactly the same error as you are getting. But when I try to restore using the above commands it gives me the following error..
rm: cannot remove '/home/ron/.thunderbird.orig': No such file or directory...confused.....

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 am

kato181 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:23 am
Ok..I did the above and I got exactly the same error as you are getting.
Right. It's probably something like a pre-existing certificate "fixing" things; conversely put, only accepting a new one the issue. It's fixed upstream already though, so, well, whatever, it seems.
kato181 wrote:
But when I try to restore using the above commands it gives me the following error..
rm: cannot remove '/home/ron/.thunderbird.orig': No such file or directory...confused.....
That error message can not be the result of the commands I supplied: I never had you invoke rm on .thunderbird.orig, only on .thunderbird. I.e., you did / are doing something wrong. What it however moreover shows is that also the earlier backup (*) of the original profile didn't go as planned / instructed, since certainly a ~/.thunderbird.orig directory would exist if it had.

The only thing the first mv would've done is rename ~/.thunderbird to ~/.thunderbird.orig. The subsequent start of Thunderbird wlll have recreated a new ~/.thunderbird; after closing it down again, the rm -r removes said new ~/.thunderbird, and the next mv renames ~/.thunderbird.orig to ~/.thunderbird again.

Something or somethings went wrong and I can not guess what it is, given the posted error message. You can with help of the above supposedly see what you in fact did simply by seeing what exists where now and would restore accordingly -- or not, if no backup of the original profile exists.

(*) use of which word when combined with the context of another thread I was in invites the statement "rm -r is not a backup tool!" --- but never mind that.

Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:48 pm

The saga rolls on. :D

I found some interesting reading HERE: https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... for-linux/

The Ubuntu instructions returned version 60 which doesn’t work now for a lot of us and I guess that is the latest on the ppa so no surprises there.

However, the Debian instructions work perfectly producing version 68 which as we know does work.

Only problem is it seems that loading it can only be done via the Terminal, so I wonder if some of our experts can write a batch file which can be attached to a desktop icon to make things easier? (or the menu?)

Anyway, those with far greater knowledge than me might find a simple way to use ver 68. :idea:

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 pm

I already provided those instructions above: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=305013#p1712512. Slightly nicer ones in fact, given that that above version also adds the 68 version to the menus. It's two commands; a "batch file" will not add value here...

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm

rene wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 am
kato181 wrote:
Ok..I did the above and I got exactly the same error as you are getting.
Right. It's probably something like a pre-existing certificate "fixing" things; conversely put, only accepting a new one the issue. It's fixed upstream already though, so, well, whatever, it seems.
kato181 wrote:
But when I try to restore using the above commands it gives me the following error..
That error message can not be the result of the commands I supplied: I never had you invoke rm on .thunderbird.orig, only on .thunderbird. I.e., you did / are doing something wrong. What it however moreover shows is that also the earlier backup (*) of the original profile didn't go as planned / instructed, since certainly a ~/.thunderbird.orig directory would exist if it had.

The only thing the first mv would've done is rename ~/.thunderbird to ~/.thunderbird.orig. The subsequent start of Thunderbird wlll have recreated a new ~/.thunderbird; after closing it down again, the rm -r removes said new ~/.thunderbird, and the next mv renames ~/.thunderbird.orig to ~/.thunderbird again.

Something or somethings went wrong and I can not guess what it is, given the posted error message. You can with help of the above supposedly see what you in fact did simply by seeing what exists where now and would restore accordingly -- or not, if no backup of the original profile exists.

(*) use of which word when combined with the context of another thread I was in invites the statement "rm -r is not a backup tool!" --- but never mind that.
All's good now..I still the my email on google so when I updated thunderbird and re did my account all the emails came back

Return to “Software & Applications”