Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
krystan
Level 1
Level 1

New W10 laptop won't allow installation of LM

Post by krystan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 am

Hi All on the Forum,
I have been using Linux for years and Mint since rev 6 or early but I am more of a user than an expert.
I use LM as the only OS or as a dual boot with Windows. I never ever had any issues to install a Linux on my computers.
Well I recently bought HP ENVY x360-15-ds0037au 2 in 1 laptop with W10 home.
The 1TB M.2 SSD GPT disk had 4 partitions:
sda1 EFI system partition fat32 bootefi 260MB
sda2 MS reserved partition unknown file system 16MB
sda3 basic data partition ntfs WINDOWS 274 GB (I have downsized this partition to create room for Linux)
sda4 basic data partition ntfs Windows RE Tools 470MB
The disk BIOS is HP Firmware F.12 set up as GPT basic disk, with UEFI/Legacy enabled and Secure Boot on/off.
I have played with these by enable/disable these as no changes could let me install any distros except Manjaro. However with Manjaro AMD Radeo PCI VEGEA 6 has not the best allocated driver causing pixeaeted text difficult to deal with.
When I use USB DVD with Linux iso I get to the Mint menue but when I select the loading option the screen goes black and after few moments of DVD noise everything sizes without any further action and there is no option but switch it off.
I have no idea what is stopping the DVD drive to stop?
In the past I never had so many Windows partitions. Is any of them stopping Linux to boot?
Is there something in the BIOS/UEFI/SecuraBoot stopping to install linux?
I have no idea. Please help If you can!!!
Krystan

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: New W10 laptop want allow installation of LM

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:18 am

Please try nomodeset option during install.
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... tions.html
Also post output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
in code tags.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

krystan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New W10 laptop won't allow installation of LM

Post by krystan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:55 am

Hi deepakdeshp,
Tank you for your respond.
I have tryed all of them but no go.
Cheers

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:43 am

Have you disabled "Fast Startup" in Win10? Please follow the instructions at https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... ws-10.html to prepare your Win10 computer for dual booting.

krystan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krystan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi Larry78723
That fast startup it was one thing that I have not checked and it was ON. However after I have disabled it I still can not install LM and any other more popular distros (MX, POPOs) anyway. I have read the link but I have already gone through these settings.
As I mentioned before on the M.2 SSD I have 4 off Windows partitions. Do I really need all of them to run W10 or I should get rid some of them and this could change something? I dont know what else can be stopping me from installing LM.
Any hints most appreciated.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:42 am

Do have an Read of this Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for the win-10 dual_boot scenario
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Wahooka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wahooka » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:09 am

krystan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 pm
As I mentioned before on the M.2 SSD I have 4 off Windows partitions. Do I really need all of them to run W10 or I should get rid some of them and this could change something?
Unfortunately, Win10 uses all four of those partitions for a default install. In the past Windows only used one partition but with Win10 they changed how the boot is handled. One of them is the Boot partition, one has to deal with System Restore, the main OS partition, and I'm not sure what the last one does.

I know this does not help with your dual-boot scenario, but just a bit of knowledge. Also, the Win10 key is now stored within the BIOS of factory built machines. What I have found to do is just let Win10 boot and then restart the machine to boot into LM. Although at this point, I'm almost ready to reformat my laptop and just go completely with LM.

kukamuumuka
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kukamuumuka » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Wahooka wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:09 am
Unfortunately, Win10 uses all four of those partitions for a default install. In the past Windows only used one partition but with Win10 they changed how the boot is handled. One of them is the Boot partition, one has to deal with System Restore, the main OS partition, and I'm not sure what the last one does.
With GPT partition table that is not be an restriction.
https://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats- ... g-a-drive/

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 am

krystan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 am
Please help If you can!!!
You never supplied the detailed system info report. FYI, there's cool new easy way to do that in Mint 19.2. Boot the live session. Open System Reports (on Menu under Administration). Notice it's already displaying your system info. Click the Copy button. Open this thread and paste the report from clipboard. Code tags are included automatically. Click Submit.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Installation & Boot”