Install Caesium Image Compressor

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Meander
Level 1
Level 1

Install Caesium Image Compressor

Post by Meander » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 am

is it possible to run Caesium Image Compressor on latest Linux Mint Cinnamon?

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Install Caesium Image Compressor

Post by Larry78723 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:31 am

It COULD be run in a VB, not directly in any Linux distro. It was compiled for Windows.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:00 am

There are Linux alternatives, trimage seems pretty highly recommended, and it's in the repos AFAIK.

Meander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Meander » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:00 am
There are Linux alternatives, trimage seems pretty highly recommended, and it's in the repos AFAIK.
Yes it is in the repo. but it's very simpler and no option at all. thanks.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi Meander,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Here is another recent post with information you might useful

Max size of attachments in post - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=305151&p=1712969#p1712969

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 am

Version 2 can be compiled on Linux. Looking at the description and examples, I do not see anything of value. JPEG compression reduces quality no matter what the software sellers say. You can experiment with compression using GIMP.

A better approach is Darktable. Darktable keeps the original totally untouched. You can experiment with any changes, keep the ones you like, and delete the others completely without damage to the original.

Smaller versions can be exported for day to day viewing on devices with restricted power. The originals and the logs of changes can be moved to external disks for long term storage. Make several copies of the external disks. You never lose the undamaged originals.

Meander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Meander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Petermint wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 am
Version 2 can be compiled on Linux. Looking at the description and examples, I do not see anything of value. JPEG compression reduces quality no matter what the software sellers say. You can experiment with compression using GIMP.

A better approach is Darktable. Darktable keeps the original totally untouched. You can experiment with any changes, keep the ones you like, and delete the others completely without damage to the original.

Smaller versions can be exported for day to day viewing on devices with restricted power. The originals and the logs of changes can be moved to external disks for long term storage. Make several copies of the external disks. You never lose the undamaged originals.
Yes Gimp does this great, and there is an app for this in repo for those who need it called xnConvert which is good and automated too.
We usually don't want these kindda apps for loss-less-ness. when you want to export for web and need the photos to be under 200 KB you need an automated app. gimp is great for single photo it even shows you the file size before you export.

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:51 am

Meander wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm
Yes Gimp does this great, and there is an app for this in repo for those who need it called xnConvert which is good and automated too.
An even better solution is Converseen, also in the repository. Nothing against XnConvert, but you get the same function (and module) with XnView, and with XnView you also get a very capable image viewer. Also the version of XnView and XnConvert available in the repository are 3rd party flatpaks.

IMO, the best way to use XnView is to install the DEB or use the AppImage. https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/#downloads

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:00 am

you need processing power to view compressed images. so you can compress them but if you share them the users cpu will sky rocket if they don't have modern quad core at least

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 am

I wrote jpeg compression software a long time ago, so this stuff is of interest to me; also, no so long ago, there were some jpeg display programs which took into account the errors produced by compression and tried to counteract them. AFAIK, they all went away (along with the "fractal" image enlargers?)
JPEG compression reduces quality no matter what the software sellers say.
True (in general), and Caesium doesn't make any false claims about that, but "Caesium Image Compressor" is probably not different than many other jpg compressors. Compressing a lossy but looks ok image to 10% of the original size is not unreasonable for certain image subjects (like trees). I took a look at the "portable" version and it has a lot of options....

Out of curiosity, I tried this one:
CaesiumPH Beta
Lossless JPEG optimization for PHs
and it losslessly shrank a couple of jpgs from about 2.4 to 2.1 MB and the output images were exactly the same (pshop layer.difference=0)
It removes the exif data, but the exif text was about 2.2KB, so apparently it did more than just remove that.
you need processing power to view compressed images. so you can compress them but if you share them the users cpu will sky rocket if they don't have modern quad core at least
Not an issue. Almost all images you get and/or download from just about anywhere are compressed. As far as sharing, uncompressed RGB images are more time consuming to deal with than compressed images.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi Meander,

I just re-read your post and more of the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.
Meander wrote:We usually don't want these kindda apps for loss-less-ness. when you want to export for web and need the photos to be under 200 KB you need an automated app. gimp is great for single photo it even shows you the file size before you export.
Do you have a particular preference to what image format file type you want to use, and if yes, what is it?

+1 BenTrabetere comments. XnViewmp (& XnConvert) are excellent applications and newer versions are available from their website, scroll down to downloads and choose Linux deb file on right-side, save the file and double-click it to install it. XnViewMP and XnConvert can process one image or batches of images. You can convert almost any image format into another image format and or resize (reduce or scale) them. There are numerous tutorials on using XnViewMP including one of mine available on YouTube.

+1 for Converseen another superb image application that can process one image or multiple images at a time. There is a newer version available and it uses imagemagick for its back-end processing which also has a newer version available. You don't need to install newer versions if the current ones work for you. I'm pretty sure there are various tutorials on Converseen as well including one of mine.

Download for Linux - Converseen
http://converseen.fasterland.net/download-for-linux/

Linux Mint 19.x (Ubuntu 18.04) 64-bit deb file download, save and double-click to install it.
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/ ... _amd64.deb

Linux Mint 19.x (Ubuntu 18.04) 32-bit deb file download, save and double-click to install it.
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/ ... 4_i386.deb

Previous post on Updating ImageMagick? - Linux Mint Forums
- Note that with newer versions, the folder name for imagemagick could be different, so use that in the instructions.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=250150&hilit=imagemagick

If you read my link to another recent post, you will see other options including the excellent "jpegoptim" that can be run from your file manager or a console terminal prompt. "jpegoptim" works on jpeg or jpg images only, but it is fast and works really well without changing image resolution. Run "jpegoptim -h" for help from the console terminal prompt.

FYI: If you use screenshots, then I would highly recommend "Ksnip" as a screenshot tool which can open existing image files as well and allow you to use painter functions to annotate the image and or crop or scale (reduce, shrink) images and save them into various format.

It is really easy to convert images from one image format to another using XnViewMP / XnVConvert, Converseen, Imagemagick's "convert" command, etc... For example, if you have images in the jpg/jpeg format or any format, before or after processing, and want to convert them to "webp" format using lossless or choose a target file size (less than 200kb, 190kb), then you can do that using XnViewMP or XnConvert. What's really cool about XnViewMP besides easily converting formats is their "Action" tab where you can define actions like resizing images, flipping, rotating, etc... to be performed on the images while converting them.

Hope this helps ...
XnViewMP Batch Convert to webp losslessly
XnViewMP Batch Convert to webp losslessly
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Meander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Meander » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Thanks for all your help. very active forum we have here.

@phd21 there are online tools like: https://caesium.app/ and https://squoosh.app/ which do a very great job in compressing the photos and bringing them to kilobytes.
Edit:
the XnConvert is great for batch work, and many many extra features, but I tested for myself and found that the Caesium does a better job for lower image size and better quality compared to XnConvert. the windows version of caesium actually is very good so I thought it might have a Linux version as well.

phd21 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 pm
Do you have a particular preference to what image format file type you want to use, and if yes, what is it?
I make them to JPEG and under 200 Kb to use it for web. aforementioned web apps work well for me.

and something beside the point. why you are against Flatpak?! is it less safe than PPAs ?!

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi Meander,

You are welcome...

If you use jpeg or jpg images, then you should really consider looking at the other post I linked and using "jpegoptim" which works great at reducing jpeg or jpg image file sizes using a user defined target file size like 190kb (less than 200kb) and can be integrated into your Linux Mint file manager. You can also test it using the console terminal commands if you want.

If you like using the online options then that's okay too.

I don't have anything against flatpaks per se, I just prefer using the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), then comes PPA's, or Linux deb installation files, or self-contained ready to run archive files, or AppImages, then Flatpaks, then Snap packages if there are no other options to install software.

Most PPA's are fine to use because most are specific to the software they represent, but some PPA's are hosting many various kinds of software and that can sometimes create a conflict although I have found that to be rare. Ex: I had a conflict with one PPA that hosted many software packages because they had a version of the great Audacious music application that conflicted silently with the Audacious main PPA.

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Newbie Questions”