Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Vivaldi not saving Passwords

Post by lsemmens » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:41 am

I loaded Vivaldi along with the following extensions
uBlock Origin (all filters, including experimental ones enabled)
Decentraleyes
Cookie Autodelete
HTTPS Everywhere
as per absque fenestris' recommendations however it appears that Vivaldi will not save any passwords even though the <Save Webpage Passwords> option is selected.

I suspect that one of those extensions are the culprit, but I am not familiar enough with them to start playing with them.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Vivaldi not saving Passwords

Post by absque fenestris » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:04 pm

I must confess: my new, fast and very beautiful Huawei laptop still runs on the unspeakable, horrible, damnable Windows 10... almost exclusively equipped with (more or less) free software - Good! Linux Deepin runs in the Virtualbox, the newest Linux Vivaldi is under the unspeakable Stalinistic suppressed Chinese Linux version - and all this together probably should not be hundred percent politically, genderically, gretaically or otherwise correct... and especially frighten Americans.

But my Vivaldi, including passwords, runs like hell under whatever operating system. Sorry... ... :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm

well first of all get rid of HTTPS Everywhere you do not need it anymore. most sites are now https and if it's not https will not help you there, plus it uses way too much ram. you use uBlock Origin (all filters, including experimental ones enabled) WAAA? too many lists !!!

also vivaldi has it's own integrated adblocker that may conflict or have redundancy issues with your privacy extensions,
which is why if you want a chrome related browser use the chrome browser. if you use vivaldi and you think it's more private than google chrome you are slapping yourself in the face with every click

you must realize that chrome has a lot of new features which vivaldi hides. but i do not understand people that use privacy extensions and then let the browser save passwords. the whole point of privacy is that if someone breaks into your pc or have a breach of security, they do not have access to your passwords.

also this is a better issue to be solved at vivaldi forums, it's not a mint issue

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Vivaldi is not Opera. Vivaldi has no built-in advertising filters and no built-in VPN.
I also don't know why Vivaldi runs well in 32-bit or 64-bit Linux or macOS or Windows 10, but since I got used to the special design I don't like to miss it anymore.
Funnily enough, even YouTube works with the exotic filters enabled, unlike Firefox. And that without any advertising - I appreciate that... I don't know what to do about this password error at the moment - but Vivaldi also has a wailing wall.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:24 pm

trytip wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:37 pm
the whole point of privacy is that if someone breaks into your pc or have a breach of security, they do not have access to your passwords.
That's a security issue, not a privacy issue. Things like tracking and browser fingerprinting are privacy issues. Privacy and security are connected, but they are not the same.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 pm

@ trytip. Is Chrome not a Google owned piece of spyware? Am I misinformed?

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 am

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 pm
@ trytip. Is Chrome not a Google owned piece of spyware? Am I misinformed?
yes you are misinformed. if people like the way vivaldi looks, i have no issues with that. looks like vivaldi uses all the services google does

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:27 am

Thanks for that. I've turned off HPPS everywhere and a couple of the uBlock settings and can now save passwords.

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:54 pm

I just installed Vivaldi on Mint MATE 18.3 :
Well, Vivaldi has a built-in ad blocker - but it's a joke...
Just for fun, I activated all the uBlock Origin filters again.
Decentraleyes
Cookie AutoDelete
I agree - HTTPS Everywhere can be omitted.
My Mint forums password has been saved (is the only one).

What I forgot to mention, I still have DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials installed (as Tracker Blocker).

Return to “Software & Applications”