[Solved] Mint 19.2 Mint Mate Menu does not open my Home folder in Places

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
firefighter
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint 19.2 Mint Mate Menu does not open my Home folder in Places

Post by firefighter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:07 pm

I really haven't seen any topic that is specific to this particular problem.

Backdrop
I recently upgraded to Mint 19.2 Mate from 19.1 Mate. Everything seems fine until I go to Mint Menu>Places>Home Folder and click on it. Same issue when trying to go to desktop the same way, I noticed. What happens is gdebi-gtk opens up and says: The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file. Why should this be opening?

Here is the "kick"; when I go to Computer, Network, or Trash the same way, they open up fine.

Has me baffled.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by firefighter on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 19.2 Mint Mate Menu doen't open my Home folder in Places

Post by blueocean » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:36 pm

You might try this to give full ownership to your home:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

firefighter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firefighter » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 am

Thanks blueocean,

I tried what you suggested, clicked on the mint menu, no joy. Tried it again, this time rebooting, still no joy.

I want to expand on my home folder if I may. If I click on the taskbar folder icon that I have locked on it, the home folder will open up with no problems. Desktop too. I am just trying to figure out why it does what it does when I try to do the same thing by clicking through the mint menu icon. I don't understand why I can do it one way and yet not the other. Would rather not do a fresh install just to solve the problem. I feel like that would be like using a cannon for a surgery procedure.

Baffles me.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:44 am

Here's a theory. "Those items in the menu are links of some sort that are malformed"
Trouble is I've no idea how to find the link and correct it. But I'll have a play and see what I can come up, but hopefully somebody who really knows will get here first.

I'm running mate 19.2 and it's working fine
1st observation, right clicking "computer" on desktop brings up some options including "properties" right clicking "computer" in menu does nothing. So the two controls are different.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 pm

If you go to menu and type in nemo and choose it, will it behave properly? If so do it again and choose remove from Favorites and then put it back there. Then try it. What do you mean you want to expand your home folder?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 19.2 Mint Mate Menu does not open my Home folder in Places

Post by gm10 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Mint menu > Preferred Applications > System > File Manager > select Caja (or whatever your file manager of choice is)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Woops, I thought it was Cinnamon - sorry

firefighter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firefighter » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Yes, I am one of the strange ones. Running Mate.

gm10. Thank you! Sorry that I missed that. Went to it and there was not anything there. Clicked on the drop down beside file manager and Caja came up. Clicked it to make it my preferred file manager and whola, it worked.

Just going into how it was solved in case anyone else runs into the issue

Thanks for all the input everyone!

firefighter

Return to “Newbie Questions”