Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tommymc
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19 freezes when opening Firefox

Post by tommymc » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:37 pm

I've been successfully running Mint 18.3 (64 bit) on a 20gb partition dual booted with Vista on an old Dell Inspiron 531. Last week I had some problems that resulted in needing to reinstall Vista. This led to an involved story of a corrupted Grub and ultimately deciding it might be time to install Mint 19.2. I created a Live USB copy and the install went fine until I tried to open the Firefox browser. The screen went all red and white and froze. Reboot and same result. Reinstall, same problem. Trying to launch Firefox from the Live USB of Mint 19.2 freezes up just like the installed version.

Then I figured I might just go back to Mint 18.3 which had previously worked. I wiped the partition and tried to install from a Live USB, but the installation fails about halfway through. So does 18.1. BTW, I can run Firefox from the Live USB of Mint 18, but the Terminal won't launch.

Tried installing 19.2 again using a different USB, same results as before. Successful install, but Firefox freezes the system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 531
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 Ghz

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 19 freezes when opening Firefox

Post by gittiest personITW » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:51 am

As a troubleshoot, could you see if a different browser (waterfox, iridium, vivaldi, chrome etc) does the same.
This is to see whether it is the act of opening Firefox, or is it the act of using your ethernet/wifi that makes a crash.
If its still a prob,
post back with the output to

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:45 pm

tommymc wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:37 pm
Then I figured I might just go back to Mint 18.3 which had previously worked. I wiped the partition and tried to install from a Live USB, but the installation fails about halfway through. So does 18.1. BTW, I can run Firefox from the Live USB of Mint 18, but the Terminal won't launch.
That's a strange bunch of errors - since it's an old computer, how about checking the memory and the disk (fsck and/or S.M.A.R.T. data).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

tommymc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommymc » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. I used a partition tool to check the partition for errors. Disk looks good. Although I haven't checked the USB, I've used 2 different ones and haven't associated the errors with either. I'm going to try installing 19.2 and see if I can load a different browser. I'll report back with results.

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gittiest personITW » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm

and the install went fine until I tried to open the Firefox browser
Why wouldn't you have tried another browser right at the beginning? It saves your time and ours.

tommymc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommymc » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:20 am

gittiest personITW wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm
and the install went fine until I tried to open the Firefox browser
Why wouldn't you have tried another browser right at the beginning? It saves your time and ours.
Firefox is the browser that comes pre-installed with Mint, so I'd expect it to work. It works for me on Vista, it worked on my previous installs of Mint 18.1 and 18.3. You're right, I should have tried to install a different browser, but after it caused a couple of crashes and reboots right after installing Mint 19, I decided to take a different diagnostic direction by reverting back to 18.3. As it turns out, there's more going on. Since wiping 19.2 I've been unable to get through a fresh install of any version. Very frustrating. As an update, all of a sudden, Firefox is working from the live USB of 19.2, but Cinnamon keeps shutting down. Maybe it's my aging computer....but Linux was my strategy to keep it going now that Vista is no longer supported.

tommymc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommymc » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:32 pm

I'm up and running on Mint 19.2. It's hard to say exactly what was going wrong because I ended up trying so many different things. The Live USB I made using LinuxLive USB turned out to be dodgy. I don't know if LiLi was the problem because I've used it successfully before. Maybe it was just the phase of the moon, but creating an image on the same USB stick using Yumi did end up working.

tommymc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommymc » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Thought I had this solved, but I guess not. Fresh install of 19.2 was working fine for awhile. Successfully used Firefox several times. Added my favorite add-ons (VideoDownloadHelper and uBlock) and imported my bookmarks. All seemed good, but I came back a few hours later and FF froze the computer on launch. I rebooted, installed Chromium and that initially worked. Then I was multi-tasking...I don't remember exactly what, I think changing the time settings....and tried to launch Chromium. It did the same as FF....froze the system (red & white screen).

So now I'm wondering if it's a memory issue or internet. I have 4 GB ram and the same sized swap partition. Any thoughts?

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 pm

tommymc wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 pm
Any thoughts?
Yes. Follow the instructions that you've already been given by gittiest personITW.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=305193#p1713150

If you don't follow instructions, nobody can help you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Does 19.2's Firefox behave for you if you deselect Preferences -> General -> "Use recommended performance settings" and its then appearing suboption "Use hardware acceleration when available"?

tommymc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommymc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:29 am

catweazel wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 pm
tommymc wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 pm
Any thoughts?
Yes. Follow the instructions that you've already been given by gittiest personITW.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=305193#p1713150

If you don't follow instructions, nobody can help you.
I do appreciate the help. I've been trying to follow instructions. I hate to play the "old geezer" card, but sometimes things need to be explained as if you were talking to your grandpa.

So it turns out that the more I try to do, the more Mint is crashing. I can't experiment with settings in FF because the system crashes when I try to launch it. Now Chromium browser is doing the same thing. The only way I can post here is from Windows. I opened a terminal in Mint 19.2 and typed [inxi -Fxz] and the results displayed for a few seconds before the system crashed. Reboot, repeat, crash. Finally I rebooted and took a photo with my phone before it crashed. (Not sure I would have known how to paste the results here anyway)
1112192039.jpg
The only time I ever experienced crashes like this with Mint 18 was running Audacity. I use it to slow down guitar licks to learn them. After too many loops, the system would crash. I figured it was Audacity using too much memory or something. I'll be away from the computer for awhile dealing with a plumbing emergency-turned-project....something I'm actually competent at. I'll check back periodically but if I don't post immediately, please be patient.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:36 am

tommymc wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:29 am
Finally I rebooted and took a photo with my phone before it crashed.
Ok, your machine is at least 12 years old according to the image. It's simply too old for a modern OS. It's not a good assumption to make, that a leading-edge operating system will work on such old equipment. I think you should take a look at MX Linux or emmabuntus.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

tommymc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommymc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:55 pm

catweazel wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:36 am
tommymc wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:29 am
Finally I rebooted and took a photo with my phone before it crashed.
Ok, your machine is at least 12 years old according to the image. It's simply too old for a modern OS. It's not a good assumption to make, that a leading-edge operating system will work on such old equipment. I think you should take a look at MX Linux or emmabuntus.
Yeah, I'm starting to think you're right. The Yankee in me hates to junk something that still works. I may try reinstalling Mint 18 which pretty much worked...or try one of the distros you recommended. Thanks for the advice.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:24 pm

tommymc wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:55 pm
Thanks for the advice.
It's my pleasure.

Return to “Software & Applications”