[Solved] Brother MFC-845CW Install Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Brother MFC-845CW Install Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Post by Sequimer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Arrgh... and that's aimed at me. I should have been able to figure this out. What with the Easy LInux Tips Project and the Brother MFC-845CW Support web page. But no. AFAIK, I did clear out all installed drivers, wrappers, and downloads and started fresh. That said, there appear to be some inconsistent messages like, " cannot create directory ‘/var/spool/lpd’: File exists".

Here's the latest scenario of several attempts.

Guidance?

TIA
Last edited by Sequimer on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64bit
HP ProBook 470 G3 Intel Core i5
2.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB Disk
Dual Boot with Windows 7

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Brother MFC-845CW Install Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Post by blueocean » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:26 pm

I have a different model. Are you doing wireless or cable? If cable, hopefully not USB hub.
This if from my jumbled Brother notes:
To uninstall:
Terminal
1. sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
This will list all installed files. Start at the top with brscan-skey and work you way down to printer-driver-ptouch uninstalling each one with sudo dpkg -P
Example: sudo dpkg -P brscan-skey
Once done, verify status with: sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
Now run sudo apt-get clean and sudo apt-get autoremove
Set printer to factory defaults in the printer's menu.
Alternatively run sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother and use the list in conjunction with Synaptic Package Manager to mark each for complete removal. Afterwards run sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother to see results
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sequimer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks, blueocean, for the response. I did as you suggested and it all played out in accordance with your directions. Still, after going through the process to download the drivers, installer, etc., the printer did not work. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether some of the things I'm seeing are a problem or not.

For example, "lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor" and others citing "Bad file descriptor" errors appear during every attempt to install. It appears as though it's looking to "Localhost" for the printer and not finding it.

When I click on "Connect" in the "Printers-localhost > Connect > Connect to CUPS server > Connect" it returns a "CUPS server error". BTW: the printer is connected directly via a USB cable without using a USB hub.

I don't know if that command line /run/cups/cups.sock is correct but that's what it is pre-populated with.

Following the last attempt to install, I pressed the "Scan" button on the printer and it did get a rise out of the PC in the form of a error message from "Gimp". Being the first time I'd tried that I don't know if it behaved that way prior to this.

Still working on this.

Thanks again.
Dual Boot with Windows 7

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:50 pm

You have to uninstall again. This time do one step at a time.
After uninstall, You need to go here:
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... fc845cw_us
Choose Deb and click ok. You will download only the driver install tool (to your desktop)
The open a terminal and run the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd Desktop && gunzip -v ~/Desktop/linux-brprinter*

sudo bash ~/Desktop/linux-brprinter*
enter model number:

MFC-845CW
Answer yes (Y) to all questions except test print (N for that)
At the question about the Device URI answer no (N)
From here follow prompts to end.
Drivers.jpg
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sequimer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks, blueocean. Following the procedure in your post, everything behaved as before. It all looked good except for the "lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor" errors. I don't know if that's actually relevant but it fits with the error in my "Localhost" screenshot above.

I have this vague recollection that access to "Localhost" via a "port" in the "internal" network was mentioned in one of the installation narratives. Am trying to retrieve that bit. But that poses a question - would it be easier to do this over an Ethernet cable versus the USB cable?

One other thing - I don't know if it matters but this machine has FAX capability.

Thanks again for your interest and help.
Dual Boot with Windows 7

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:32 pm

I don't know about the fax, but it should install anyway. It is my understanding that the printer is connected to the PC by a USB cable. Ethernet is for internet connection and completely unrelated except if your PC is connected wirelessly to the internet and not with an ethernet cable, it could be a issue. Please clarify. It may have to be done completely over, yet again.

Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sequimer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:42 pm

The printer is connected to the PC with a USB cable, no USB Hub.

The computer is connected to the internet wirelessly via a Verizon Jetpack MiFi Hotspot.

The printer works on the Windows 7 side.

I just finished flushing the previous installation attempt and sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother returns nothing.
Dual Boot with Windows 7

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Simple question: Is the printer turned on when you are doing the install?
Here's what I'd do (I stress the I'd). PC off, unplug printer from PC. Restore printer to factory defaults using it's menu interface (will presumably mess up your Windows installation of the printer, so needs considered.) Once printer factory defaults are set make sure printer is reconnected to PC and printer is on. Start PC and reinstall software by above instructions.
If the Windows printer install is needed, then it would have to be uninstalled in Windows and reinstalled I suppose.
The only other thing I can think of is does Mint only show one printer installed (the Brother after you install of course) and it's set as default?
Also I know nothing about your hotspot device, but I would think it would be the same as a typical Wi-Fi.
*As a side note, as a test, I did the exact same install to my laptop and it's perfect. I connected Brother to the laptop with USB (while laptop connected to Wi-Fi via my home wireless modem LAN). So for that it works - no doubt.

Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sequimer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Printer is turned on during installation. That's the reason I mentioned the FAX feature because I don't think it really ever goes off if it's plugged in. It just goes into a standby mode.

It has never shown any printer as being installed or available. When the "Printers" function is launched from the "Menu", that "Localhost"/"CUPS" error comes back.

Will try to do the factory reset.

Thanks,

Dual Boot with Windows 7

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Question: While doing the install, is it downloading many dependencies (packages) and shows a progress percentage? That said, I have seen a few installs requiring a reboot for it to finish installing.

Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sequimer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Yes, it loads quite a few packages. It also complains several times about being unable to connect to the print server- bad file descriptor.

I think I've done a reboot on one or two attempts but will make sure to do it tomorrow when I attempt to install it again.
Dual Boot with Windows 7

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:28 pm

I'm beginning to think the error is on their end. Try and capture that text and paste it into a text file and also here. Once it fails (likely) I wonder if a call to Brother support might pay off to determine if this is a known issue (the phone techs admit there's no support for Linux, but still might be something.) Also ask them if any other printer uses the same installer. Long shot here - but is there any way you could try installing with the internet connected by an Ethernet cable or even at friend's house to rule out your somewhat uncommon Wi-Fi hot-spot connection?
Later:
Wondering if you started over, clean, and downloaded each installer separately (presumably 64-bit in your case) and installed them 1 at a time rather than the one that's supposed to do them all. I think each one installs the same way as the above instructions - just another thought.
Later:
If you try again, please run

sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
and post results.

Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sequimer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:37 pm

The last several attempts have been preceded by the sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother command to verify a clean start. I've also used the Synaptic Package Manager to hunt down and eliminate Brother drivers to the extent practical. Still no success.

If not apparent by virtue of the model designation, MFC-845CW, this printer-scanner-FAX is capable of USB, wireless, and wired Ethernet connectivity. Given that, I am going to try a different approach. In the beginning I avoided this because it looked fussy to set up. However, I've encountered a very large serving of "fussy" in my installation attempts to date.

So I configured the printer and put it on the house LAN. It works, via the LAN, on the Windows 7 side of this PC very well and I expect it will work on the other Windows 7 PC too.

So now I have to determine how to access the printer on the LAN from the Linux side of this PC. This PC currently reaches the internet via a router that is connected to the Mi-Fi hotspot mentioned earlier. There's nothing special about the hotspot. It broadcasts a standard Wi-Fi signal/footprint 802.11 b/g/ etc.

I take your point about the possible need to contact Brother but am going to see if I can ingest some more "fussy" before I do that.

Am grateful for your suggestions and would be happy to hear more regarding access to the printer on a LAN.
Dual Boot with Windows 7

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:07 pm

With mine, after completely uninstalling from Mint, I set the printer to factory default via its menu. Then have it search for WPS, (because my modem has a WPS button) I then press the Modem's WPS button and while it's blinking the Brother connects and confirms. Then have it print out the entire network config and note the ip address. You will need it when installing on Linux. Next I install the same way as the cable method except I answer Y (Yes) at the question about URI. Then Auto in the numbered list (use the number for example 18). When it asks for the ip address enter the exact number, then follow the rest of the prompts. If your hotspot doesn't have a WPS, there are instructions in the book on how to get it to find the wireless. I've never needed that. The WPS is a very convenient feature. One thing their support people can do is help with this because it has nothing to do with Linux. I've only done this about a dozen times because of modem upgrade or isp changed. Thusly, I'm no expert. Oh, and their phone support is very easy and I never had a run around or long wait.
*that print out has a lot of numbers, i use only the one that says ip and no other.
Added later: If that printer has been wirelessly connected to a Windows machine, I think the network config is already in there. You should be able to just use the printer's menu and print it out.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Another thought - do you have the firewall enabled? If so, you might try turning it off temporarily. My printer works with it turned on, but yours is a different model and with fax.

Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sequimer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:16 pm

As efforts continue to connect to a Brother MFC-845CW member of a wireless LAN using this HP wireless-capable laptop, running a Liunx Mint 19.2 64 bit, operating system, here's the latest scenario.

At this point, a sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother command line had been issued and no Brother software or drivers were discovered. There are Brother items in the "Snapshot" (backup) files. Also, I turned off the firewall.

This is representative of repeated attempts to install the Brother MFC-845CW. Tried as a USB configuration and a wireless LAN configuration.

The MFC-845CW works fine configured either way in this machine's Windows 7 environment.

Below is the dialog as executed in the Linux "Terminal". I've removed the text of the various license agreements to simplify reading. About two thirds of the way down is a note calling out an error that has appeared in every attempt thus far to connect to the printer.

I don't understand all I know about this "CUPS" thing but the error seems to be complaining about not being able to connect to "CUPS" which appears to be functioning as a "server". My reading suggests that "CUPS" needs to be started and running to support printing. I cannot find any indication that "CUPS" is running on this machine. I looked in System Monitor but found nothing there.

Ideas?

TIA
********************************************************************************************************
sequimer@sequimer-HP-ProBook-470-G3:~$ sudo su
[sudo] password for sequimer:
root@sequimer-HP-ProBook-470-G3:/home/sequimer# ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/lpd
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/init.d/lpd': File exists
root@sequimer-HP-ProBook-470-G3:/home/sequimer# mkdir /var/spool/lpd
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/spool/lpd’: File exists
root@sequimer-HP-ProBook-470-G3:/home/sequimer# cd Downloads
root@sequimer-HP-ProBook-470-G3:/home/sequimer/Downloads# gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.1-1.gz
root@sequimer-HP-ProBook-470-G3:/home/sequimer/Downloads# bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.1-1 MFC-845CW
You are going to install following packages.
mfc845cwlpr-1.0.1-1.i386.deb
mfc845cwcupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.deb
brscan2-0.2.5-1.amd64.deb
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
OK? [y/N] ->y

=========================================
Brother License Agreement
Do you agree? [Y/n] ->Y

wget -T 10 -nd --no-cache http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/pa ... 1.i386.deb
--2019-11-19 07:17:47-- http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/pa ... 1.i386.deb
Resolving www.brother.com (www.brother.com)... 184.86.198.205
Connecting to www.brother.com (www.brother.com)|184.86.198.205|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1087422 (1.0M)
Saving to: ‘mfc845cwlpr-1.0.1-1.i386.deb’

mfc845cwlpr-1.0.1-1 100%[===================>] 1.04M 1.39MB/s in 0.7s

2019-11-19 07:17:49 (1.39 MB/s) - ‘mfc845cwlpr-1.0.1-1.i386.deb’ saved [1087422/1087422]

GPL License Agreement
Do you agree? [Y/n] ->Y

wget -T 10 -nd --no-cache http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/pa ... 1.i386.deb
--2019-11-19 07:17:58-- http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/pa ... 1.i386.deb
Connecting to www.brother.com (www.brother.com)|184.86.198.205|:80... connected.
Length: 12836 (13K)
Saving to: ‘mfc845cwcupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.deb’

mfc845cwcupswrapper 100%[===================>] 12.54K --.-KB/s in 0.05s

2019-11-19 07:17:58 (233 KB/s) - ‘mfc845cwcupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.deb’ saved [12836/12836]

dpkg -x mfc845cwlpr-1.0.1-1.i386.deb /
dpkg -x mfc845cwcupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.deb /
dpkg-deb: building package 'mfc845cwlpr' in 'mfc845cwlpr-1.0.1-1a.i386.deb'.
dpkg -b ./brother_driver_packdir mfc845cwlpr-1.0.1-1a.i386.deb
dpkg-deb: building package 'mfc845cwcupswrapper' in 'mfc845cwcupswrapper-1.0.1-1a.i386.deb'.
dpkg -b ./brother_driver_packdir mfc845cwcupswrapper-1.0.1-1a.i386.deb
dpkg -i --force-all mfc845cwlpr-1.0.1-1a.i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package mfc845cwlpr:i386.
(Reading database ... 330776 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack mfc845cwlpr-1.0.1-1a.i386.deb ...
Unpacking mfc845cwlpr:i386 (1.0.1-1) ...
Setting up mfc845cwlpr:i386 (1.0.1-1) ...
dpkg -i --force-all mfc845cwcupswrapper-1.0.1-1a.i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package mfc845cwcupswrapper:i386.
(Reading database ... 330795 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack mfc845cwcupswrapper-1.0.1-1a.i386.deb ...
Unpacking mfc845cwcupswrapper:i386 (1.0.1-1) ...
Setting up mfc845cwcupswrapper:i386 (1.0.1-1) ...
Stopping lpd (via systemctl): lpd.service.
Restarting cups (via systemctl): cups.service.
lpinfo: Bad file descriptor This has been a recurring error.
lpinfo: Bad file descriptor
lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor
################################

0 (I): Specify IP address.
1 (A): Auto. (usb://dev/usblp0)

select the number of destination Device URI. ->0

enter IP address ->192.168.50.22
lpadmin -p MFC845CW -v socket://192.168.50.22 -E -P /usr/share/cups/model/brmfc845cw.ppd
lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor
Test Print? [y/N] ->n

brscan2-0.2.5-1.amd64.deb

Do you agree? [Y/n] ->Y

wget -T 10 -nd --no-cache http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/pa ... .amd64.deb
--2019-11-19 07:20:31-- http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/pa ... .amd64.deb
Length: 82566 (81K) [application/x-troff-man]
Saving to: ‘brscan2-0.2.5-1.amd64.deb’

brscan2-0.2.5-1.amd 100%[===================>] 80.63K --.-KB/s in 0.1s

2019-11-19 07:20:33 (756 KB/s) - ‘brscan2-0.2.5-1.amd64.deb’ saved [82566/82566]

dpkg -i --force-all brscan2-0.2.5-1.amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package brscan2.
(Reading database ... 330798 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack brscan2-0.2.5-1.amd64.deb ...
Unpacking brscan2 (0.2.5-1) ...
Setting up brscan2 (0.2.5-1) ...
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb

Brother License Agreement
Do you agree? [Y/n] ->Y

wget -T 10 -nd --no-cache http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/pa ... .amd64.deb
--2019-11-19 07:20:45-- http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/pa ... .amd64.deb
Length: 50852 (50K) [application/x-troff-man]
Saving to: ‘brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb’

brscan-skey-0.2.4-1 100%[===================>] 49.66K --.-KB/s in 0.06s

2019-11-19 07:20:45 (861 KB/s) - ‘brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb’ saved [50852/50852]

dpkg -i --force-all brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package brscan-skey.
(Reading database ... 330823 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb ...
Unpacking brscan-skey (0.2.4-1) ...
Setting up brscan-skey (0.2.4-1) ...
brsaneconfig2 -a name=MFC-845CW model=MFC-845CW ip=192.168.50.22
root@sequimer-HP-ProBook-470-G3:/home/sequimer/Downloads#
Dual Boot with Windows 7

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 pm

It looks like it refuses to connect to your hotspot. I really am at a loss. Some modems have firewall settings. I can't see how this could be blocking it if lets Win 7 connect the printer. I found this site. It has a more information link on the FAX-PC CUPS plus some other possibly helpful information (those links look like they use the individual downloads):
https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linu ... edirect=on

Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sequimer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:03 pm

The hotspot is up and running since the PC is actively communicating with the internet. The printer is on the LAN and I can see it from another PC running Windows 7.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
The one thing you reminded me of is installing the packages separately and I'll try that as well.
Dual Boot with Windows 7

Sequimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sequimer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:07 pm

That link to the Brother Solutions Center https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linu ... edirect=on provided a lot of detail that I did not appreciate before. After all the poking around on the Brother website I've done, I'm very surprised that it did not appear sooner. Thanks again for providing it.

That said, it sent me into a cul de sac. It specifies that a 32 bit library must be installed. The tables/charts that match the driver with the environment imply that my drivers are 32 bit. But not to worry, simply install ia32-libs or lib32stdc++ and it will work. I tried but wound up in the weeds.

From the Brother Solutions Center here's the direction.

Pre-required Procedure (5)
Related distributions
Debian 64 bit version, Ubuntu 64 bit version
Related products/drivers
printer/PC-FAX drivers
Requirement
ia32-libs or lib32stdc++ is required to be installed.

apt-get ia32-libs did not work and trying to follow some old suggestions from a board called "Stack Overflow", I soon found myself over my head.

Continuing to persist.

On edit: The apt-get mentioned above should have included an "install".
Last edited by Sequimer on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dual Boot with Windows 7

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Maybe this will work (The one for13.04). It installed on my test PC
https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en- ... nux-system

Return to “Printers & Scanners”