Min hardware requirements for 19.1?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stringfellow
Level 2
Level 2

Min hardware requirements for 19.1?

Post by stringfellow »

I replaced Windows with LM 19.1 tonight on my gf's mom's Acer Aspire laptop. I think it's a few years old. Intel i3. Not the best machine.

Everything seems to have gone well, except that Firefox and other applications are slow to open and seem to take a while to fully load.

Firefox for example seems to still be loading in the background when you go to a website for the first time because it takes a while for the page to fully load. Maybe as much as 45 seconds to fully load the page. But then after the first or second pages are loaded then subsequent pages load very quickly. Internet is very fast. Using wifi. Cable speeds.

Feels a lot like the processor, ram, hard drive, etc are straining to keep up with 19.1 possibly. But I assumed that any Mint version would run quickly on a less than great machine. Is that not the case? Would version 18 for example run faster?

Or perhaps I need to install a newer wifi driver or some such?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Min hardware requirements for 19.1?

Post by catweazel »

stringfellow wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 am Or perhaps I need to install a newer wifi driver or some such?
No. At a minimum, you should have provided the model number. "i3 Acer laptop" just doesn't cut it. Preferably you would have read the link at the top of the page that says "how to get help", then you would have known to post the output of this terminal command: inxi -Fxz and enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
stringfellow
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Min hardware requirements for 19.1?

Post by stringfellow »

Thanks for the heads up on the above link. I did not see that.

The next time I am at that computer I will reply with more detailed info.

Return to “Beginner Questions”