[Solved] Portable USB instalation that remembers my settings

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mark108
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Portable USB instalation that remembers my settings

Post by Mark108 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 pm

There is probably an answer to this if I only knew what search terms to use.

I have 3 Windows 10 computers that are getting ver
y slow. I would hate to just throw these away and buy new computers but I used to train people in Windows so I know it well and am not ready to wipe it yet.

I tried unsuccessfully to create a partition and set up a dual boot and had to restore the computer image. I have heard that XtraPC is just a linux distro on a USB and the idea of a portable desktop appealed to me. I could then use it on all three computers.

So I purchased a 64gig USB drive and set up Mint Linux. It ran well so I set up my wifi password, installed the software I needed and configured Firefox the way I like it. Then I shut my PC down for the night and the next day I was back to scratch!

How do I set up Mint Linux on a USB so that it remembers my settings?
Last edited by Mark108 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Portable USB instalation that remembers my settings

Post by catweazel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Mark108 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 pm
There is probably an answer to this if I only knew what search terms to use.
"persistence" is the word you're looking for.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ub ... 8&oe=utf-8
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-72-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:03 am

Sounds like you just want to install Linux on a external usb drive that you can move between computers. Over the last couple of months I've installed LINUX mate & cinnamon on several external usb drives with little to no problem. I use these external usb drives interchangeably between two laptops. I can't remember everything I read or watched on how to do this but here are links to some a videos I know I watched, a lot:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vbdAmJ5jzfM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glFCEauwGgw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JKL1tmn-xC0

Give 'em look, they might help! Good luck.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:05 am

1NEWLINUXUSER wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:03 am
Sounds like you just want to install Linux on a external usb drive
Good catch. I didn't make that assumption but should have.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:09 am

Mark108 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 pm
How do I set up Mint Linux on a USB so that it remembers my settings?
Whether persistence or full install makes more sense depends on how much you want remembered. For settings only, persistence might be better and certainly it's easier. UUI from Pendrive Linux is a good tool for that in Windows.

For a regular system on USB, you might want to look at my tutorial on the subject. Notice there's a bug in the installer to avoid if any of your computers use UEFI. Also, notice there's a procedure (which I call Hybrid Install) for creating a single USB drive which will boot on both BIOS and UEFI machines. A persistent drive does that as a matter of course, but it's a bit more complicated for full install.

By the way, be aware both persistence and full install are hard on flash drives, as the system does lots of writing temporary files. Won't burn out overnight, but you shouldn't keep anything precious on the drive and don't be surprised if it only lasts a few months.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Mark108
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Portable USB instalation that remembers my settings

Post by Mark108 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:49 am

Thanks Catwezel, "Persistence" is certainly a word that would have been useful.

Thanks Pbear for the tip about USBs burning out. Hmmm. That puts a damper on it.
I wonder if it is possible to create a version that moves those temporary files to the hard drive or into RAM?
If you think that it is a good idea perhaps you could suggest it to the developers.

Thanks to the others who responded. I am impressed!

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:16 am

pbear wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:09 am
By the way, be aware both persistence and full install are hard on flash drives, as the system does lots of writing temporary files. Won't burn out overnight, but you shouldn't keep anything precious on the drive and don't be surprised if it only lasts a few months.
That is most definitely a major concern with these things and I try and watch for any noticeable performance degradation, about two months in now and I haven't noticed anything yet. I don't keep any files on them, just using them mainly for basic stuff like web browsing, email, learning linux, etc. I'm hoping they last another month or so, just before win7 support dies, then I''m going to do a clean install of mate or cinnamon to my older win7 laptop. I may try and do a dual boot to the win10 laptop but thats later.

Say, do you know of any usb drive monitoring programs, similar to something like windows chkdsk or crystal disk info? Is there such a thing for usb drives?

Anyway, back to Mark108s concerns. If you have a reliable external hard drive set up, that might be a strategy to try. I did originally start off installing to a regular external hard drive and it worked well until I think a cabling problem may have trashed the os and I had to start over, so went with usbs.
Anyway, good luck!

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:41 am

Mark108 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:49 am
I wonder if it is possible to create a version that moves those temporary files to the hard drive or into RAM?
Might be a way to use a RAM disk for this purpose, but I've never pursued it. The simpler solution is to use a USB hard drive. That's what I do.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Mark108
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mark108 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks again pbear. I have purchased a USB hard drive and am about to set it up following your instructions.

Return to “Newbie Questions”