Do I Reall Need A VPN on Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Do I Reall Need A VPN on Linux Mint

Post by Pippin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:00 am

GS3 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 am
Can someone explain to me in detail exactly what privacy the user of a VPN gains?
So many misconceptions yes, ...a lot of VPN providers and clueless parrots.
"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
Nikola Tesla

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:52 pm

GS3 wrote:
Can someone explain to me in detail exactly what privacy the user of a VPN gains? Because I believe it goes from marginal to non existent as Tom Scott says in the video I linked to.
Well said.
Running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Netherprovinc3 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 pm

GS3 wrote:
So, please cease the vague political posturing and explain in concise detail what a VPN can do for the average user. Inquiring minds want to know.
When you don't want your ISP/ a big tech company/ the website owner knowing your every move.
Examples:
You want to be hired by one of these places & you have a controversial belief (or a political belief that you are active in supporting).
Download or host torrents

There are also reasons that might not be so obvious (or even exist this second). For example, lookup services for users on a dating website. You might want to shield some of your personal life from such an informational database.

Much of the time you will want to connect to the VPN & use just for some private browsing. Then, return to normal life.

One thing that I am not too knowledgeable about is the DNS lookup process. Maybe a VPN can provide help with encrypting that traffic.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:40 am

Netherprovinc3 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 pm
One thing that I am not too knowledgeable about is the DNS lookup process. Maybe a VPN can provide help with encrypting that traffic.
It is true that up until now DNS was done in the clear but encrypted DNS encryption is being implemented and can be used.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_over_HTTPS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNSCrypt
https://blog.cloudflare.com/dns-encryption-explained/
https://www.wired.com/story/dns-over-ht ... ypted-web/

In any case, I think we agree that there might be a very few cases where using a VPN might make sense but in the great majority of cases people are using VPNs based on unfounded fears of insecurity.

And, again, while using a VPN might have an advantage to a specific user, it also comes with a cost, not only monetary but also in latency and the fact that some servers will block known VPNs.

If you do not want your boss to know you are visiting pron sites while on the clock then the best and easiest solution is to do it at home when off the clock. If you want to harass a web site that has blocked your IP or attack a bank web site they will probably block all VPNs because they want to know and control who is connecting to their servers.

So, in summary, to anyone asking "do I need to use a VPN?" the answer is almost certainly "No" but the followup question might be "what problem are you trying to solve?" If you are asking the answer is probably "no". The very few who might benefit from a VPN mostly already understand the issues involved.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-170-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:39 am

I have never found the need to use a VPN...in my browser, i use not only the brave browser brave shields, but also ublock origins as well as ublock origins extra, as well as privacy possum and trace which i have configured to use all of its assets, and also browser plugs for chrome/chromium as well....with all of these in play, it changes my ip address as well as even a false browser and OS that im actually using....right now its broadcasting that im using safari browser on windows 10...we all know that this is impossible...so do you really need to use a VPN...NO...im throwing up such a disgusting gut wrenching misinformation that a VPN cannot compare...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Mostly I'm against using a VPN for all the good reasons that have been mentioned here already (cost, can slow things down, don't really offer much privacy, etc). There are only a few situations where using a VPN might be considered necessary:

1. To get around geo-blocking (although not all VPNs give you the ability to select which country you want to be seen coming from).
2. If your country has very poor privacy laws (most Western countries have pretty good privacy laws which should stop your ISP from spying on you, fortunately I live in such a country).

For those still not convinced and think that they really need a VPN to stay safe or keep things private, have a read of Don't use VPN services.
Running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:10 am

murray wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:40 pm
1. To get around geo-blocking (although not all VPNs give you the ability to select which country you want to be seen coming from).
This is a very interesting and valid point which I encounter quite often.

There is the issue of providers of streaming content who, for commercial reasons, want to limit the geographical area they serve. I do not use this so I have never encountered this problem.

But there is also the issue of many "text-based" sites which do this too for other reasons, mainly because they do not want to be subject and comply with the laws local to the computer accessing their site. Now it seems every site you visit has several pop-ups asking you to agree to cookies and a bunch of other things. Many American sites, rather than comply with European laws and regulations, have decided to not serve requests coming from Europe. IMHO this is unfortunate and unnecessary. I find it ridiculous that every site needs to warn about using cookies. Come on! And, in any case, I cannot see why a site located in North America should comply with European laws. This discussion is very complex but, in my view, web sites should not need to self-censor at their origin in order to comply with the laws of foreign places.

I would pass laws protecting sites in my own territory. If you comply with our laws you are protected from lawsuits from other countries. If they want they can block your site there but let them do it if they want.

It is unfortunate that many people do not have access to the news they want to read. We complain about government censorship in some countries but in Europe and America we have sites self-censoring due to government regulations, which is pretty much the same thing in cause and effect.

Many American news sites will not serve their pages to Europe. Mostly I get around that by using the remote desktop with a computer located in America. We are a lucky extended family in China, Europe and America and we have and give access to our computers so everybody can access and read whatever sites they want.

Another issue is banks and other sites which restrict access from foreign countries fro security reasons, in order to avoid attacks. I do not know enough about this but I hear there might be many Nigerian princes trying to get in or out of Banks' websites. I do not know if geo-blocking really resolves the issue but I do know it is a pain to not be able to access your American bank's website when you are abroad. Again, no problem for me and my family but all these are valid issues which should be resolved with adequate security. It should be possible for a bank to allow access from abroad to their bona fide customers while blocking access to those with nefarious intent.
murray wrote:
For those still not convinced and think that they really need a VPN to stay safe or keep things private, have a read of Don't use VPN services.
Very true and worth reading.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-170-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:09 am

murray wrote:
This link
https://schub.io/blog/2019/04/08/very-p ... ative.html
to be found there is spot on, good writing.
"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
Nikola Tesla

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:35 am

This is definitely worth a read...hackers are now highjacking VPN connections in linux...DAMIEN

https://fossbytes.com/hackers-hijack-vp ... erability/
ORDO AB CHAO

Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:29 pm

On my Mint 18.3

Code: Select all

sysctl -a | grep rp_filter
all rp-filter is set to 1, so I'm good.

It's not like a hacker can take over so easily b.t.w.
Nikola Tesla

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:03 pm

In the last months I had connection problems with the Mint Forums again and again. The - obviously american server - has problems with european users.
Here Opera helped repeatedly with their pseudo-VPN - just tonight again...

Funnily enough my Opera is secured with uBlockOrigin and uMatrix in all its glory... :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:41 pm

absque fenestris wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:03 pm
In the last months I had connection problems with the Mint Forums again and again. The - obviously american server - has problems with european users.

Funnily enough my Opera is secured with uBlockOrigin and uMatrix in all its glory... :mrgreen:
That's strange. I have never, ever had any problems accessing these forums and I use quite a few very unreliable and complicated connections. I do not think it is anything on the server side and it is more probably on your end.

Mostly I find some sales sites like home depot and some news sites will block foreign connections. So someone posts a link to a product and to see what they are talking about I have to do a long work-around.

Try chicagotribune.com and https://www.homedepot.com/ . They are blocked for me.

Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Experiencing the same as absque fenestris here, also Europe but don't know if it has anything to do with that.
When it happens it's a 503 showing Sucuri page.
Nikola Tesla

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Pippin wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 pm
Experiencing the same as absque fenestris here, also Europe but don't know if it has anything to do with that.
When it happens it's a 503 showing Sucuri page.
503 is definitely a server side error and I believe it should make no difference whether the request came one way or another.

Never happened to me though but with my luck it'll start happening non stop now. :)

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:25 pm

I don't know what's going on here, but that's the facts:
Generally - I connect all my devices to the Internet via my Android smartphone, which is set up as my secured hotspot.
Of course, my Internet connection depends on my smartphone network provider. Maybe they have some problems... ...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:12 pm

GS3 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:41 pm
absque fenestris wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:03 pm

That's strange. I have never, ever had any problems accessing these forums and I use quite a few very unreliable and complicated connections. I do not think it is anything on the server side and it is more probably on your end.

Mostly I find some sales sites like home depot and some news sites will block foreign connections. So someone posts a link to a product and to see what they are talking about I have to do a long work-around.

Try chicagotribune.com and https://www.homedepot.com/ . They are blocked for me.

Well yes - Opera gave up 10 minutes ago - no VPN and so on... - now looked again with Vivaldi and the given website https://www.homedepot.com/... huh, a lot of traffic in there...

Who knows Asterix* ?
Ils sont fous, ces Romains !
You can exchange the respective empires - and it's true again.

*Goscinny & Uderzo

Obelix.jpg
Obelix.jpg (24.85 KiB) Viewed 93 times

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:37 am

absque fenestris wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:12 pm

Who knows Asterix* ?
Ils sont fous, ces Romains !
You can exchange the respective empires - and it's true again.

*Goscinny & Uderzo

Obelix.jpg
Thank you for reminding me of the Asterix books that I discovered in France 40 years ago. I must see if they are available here.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”