graphics card for Linux, Nvidia or AMD?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Lexdale
Level 1
Level 1

graphics card for Linux, Nvidia or AMD?

Post by Lexdale » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:05 am

I'm currently running Windows 7, and have been experimenting with Linux Mint in Virtualbox a couple of years.

Since the support for Windows7 is ending in January 2020, I'm thinking about migrating to Linux Mint for real sometime around Q1 2020 when I'll buy a new computer, everything included.

I'd like to be able to play games on Linux in Steam(with Proton/steamplay), and as I've understood it, it's important that the graphicscard supports the Vulkan API (and DirectX as well).

The plan is to install Linux Mint on a seperate SSD, and have Windows on it's own SSD, so I still have to option to dualboot if necessary.

But what kind of Graphic-professor would you recommend between Nvidia and AMD, and why?

I'm currently thinking about these cards:

Nvidia: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER AMP: PCI-Express 3.0, 8GB GDDR6
AMD: ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT TUF 3: PCI-Express 4.0, 8GB GDDR6, Navi

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: graphics card for Linux, Nvidia or AMD?

Post by catweazel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:11 am

Lexdale wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:05 am
But what kind of Graphic-professor would you recommend between Nvidia and AMD, and why?
I reccomnmend nVidia. The linux driver is very mature, and that's why I prefer them.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Lexdale
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lexdale » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:58 am

does everyone agree on that?
would appreciate some more input on this :)

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:08 pm

If you have ever followed the LM forums at all over your last 4 yrs being a member, then you would have known that catweazel is probably one of "THE" foremost experts here and he does not give his advice frivolously nor lightly...I would agree with him...AMD is not as well supported as nVidea or Intel drivers...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:55 pm

Since the support for Windows7 is ending in January 2020
i don't get it, i stopped updates for windows 7 after i installed it, downloaded updates once to get service packs updated then completely disabled windows7 updates and ran the OS for quite a few years without support. so why all the sudden is the sky on fire? why can't you keep windows7?
yes the nvidia selection is your best bet, i can't even make sense of the AMD version numbering system much less the drivers needed.

Lexdale
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lexdale » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:29 pm

trytip wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:55 pm
Since the support for Windows7 is ending in January 2020
i don't get it, i stopped updates for windows 7 after i installed it, downloaded updates once to get service packs updated then completely disabled windows7 updates and ran the OS for quite a few years without support. so why all the sudden is the sky on fire? why can't you keep windows7?
yes the nvidia selection is your best bet, i can't even make sense of the AMD version numbering system much less the drivers needed.
I was planning to change to Linux Mint a couple years ago but postponed it. The sky isn't on fire at all and the windows 7 update ain't the main reason that I want to change OS.

The main reason is that I'm buying a new computer rig, everything included, and that I would feel more secure if running Linux + I don't have to worry about viruses, trojans etc. Also I'm getting tired of have to rely on cracked programs like Malware bytes and Antivirus-program, Firewall and a bunch of other things that are consuming system resources. I hate Microsoft's secret telemetry/spyware also. Basically I don't feel secure on Windows. Windows 7 is a damn old system, and I'm not so keen to update to Windows 10 either.

I must admit that I will miss Photoshop though

Lexdale
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lexdale » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:32 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:08 pm
If you have ever followed the LM forums at all over your last 4 yrs being a member, then you would have known that catweazel is probably one of "THE" foremost experts here and he does not give his advice frivolously nor lightly...I would agree with him...AMD is not as well supported as nVidea or Intel drivers...DAMIEN
I'm sorry to say that I haven't even visited this forum for some years, until now.

But I've decided to go with Nvidia when I buy the computer rig.
Thank you for your help guys :)

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:59 pm

currently using GTX 660 nvidia no issues
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 /AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz) / Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
EVGA GTX 660 2Gb / Nvidia 435.21 / Element 32" 1080p
Linux Mint 19.3b MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.3.0-24 generic x86_64
Primary: PNY 120Gb SSD Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

shadoww
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shadoww » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:18 pm

AMD or NVIDIA as your mileage may very I can tell you that I started my Linux journey with an Nvidia 680 and ended up on a AMD Vega 64 and have zero regrets. The main issue I had with Nvidia was screen tearing and speed. On windows 7 that card was 100% fine but not for Linux. On Linux AMD has the drivers backed into the kernal and support just keeps getting better and better alto you will want the 5.3 or latest kernel. I recommend that anyone on Linux go with AMD and FreeSync if you can afford it. Does AMD have a tear free experience... No. I had and still see plenty of tearing on windows at work and before I switched from windows 7.

The best gaming experience I have had on Linux was Manjaro KDE however I don't recommend arch for boxes that are not only used for gaming. On arch, at times you may want to try a new program for something, but you need to do a full update before you can install it. So you do a full update, after a download (not a small one at that) you find out that a few programs that were installed form git also have updates and need to be recompiled. A few hours later you can now try that new program. On mint a full update is not forced, I have no idea why arch is so popular but it can be better for gaming but not in all cases.

if you are having a hard time deciding I would simply get a cheap AMD card and give it a try that's what I did at first and noticed the difference right away however that was about a year ago now and Linux is changing and improving at a fast pace so Nvidia may be a lot better now.

guythp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guythp » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Sorry to thread crash (this seems to be my catchphrase), but I had a problem with tearing. I use a low-power laptop (dual core 1.6ghz) with intergrated intel graphics.
Anyway, I was looking to see if there was a solution, as the tearing was a bit annoying when watching films and playing games that scrolled. I found a reddit post that said to change the 'window manager' under 'desktop settings' from (what was my default) 'macro' to 'macro+crompton', which I tried and it seems to have worked; no tearing when playing films with media player, youtube's ok within vivaldi and the emulated systems I've tested with retropie (and hatari) are also now tear free. It's worth noting tearing was still apparent when I tried the metacity and compiz combinations (although the tearing was at different points on the display)
My knowledge of linux is scant to say the least, but I thought I'd share what I found.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:49 pm

I can help you with the screen tearing with your intel atom 1.66 but not here...do not hijack this thread for something other than whats going on here...please open new thread and i will post instructions for you as how to resolve your situation...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

creation
Level 1
Level 1

Post by creation » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:29 am

Hi, dropped in to add some words for you.

Since my first PC i have got my self and Nvidia GPU, never used AMD so i could not say that they are better or worst. For my gaming on linux my Nvidia GPU is doing is job as i should, using the latest drivers available (as any user should).

I see you mentioned migrating, i say wait a second, try living in a dual boot mode for a while, get the hang of using linux, understand differences between windows and linux (there are plenty) and then you can jump in to the linux boat.

There are plenty linux games that can offer a nice gameplay but if you favor the ones from Steam again you will see that not all of the are available for linux in general. There is a trend in making linux versions of the games (Valve does it for e.g. ), but that takes time and more developers to work :)

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”