Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bpat74
Level 1
Level 1

Multi language spell check in Libre Office

Post by bpat74 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm

I' ve just installed linux mint and i am dealing with Libre Office now. The problem is that i cannot spell check in both English and Greek (i am from Greece). I have installed both English and Greek dictionaries but when i select Greek in "Tools / Options / Languages / Default languages for Documents" the spell check is in greek and the English words are red and underlined and when i select English in "Tools / Options / Languages / Default languages for Documents" the spell check is in English and the Greek words are in underlined and red. I write documents in both languages so i wonder if i am missing something. Thank you.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Multi language spell check in Libre Office

Post by xenopeek » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 pm

You configure the default to whichever language you write documents in most frequently. For documents written in other languages I think you switch the language for that document under Tools / Language / For All Text.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:21 pm

xenopeek, I think the OP is talking about checking a single document with both English and Greek words in it. The only way that I can think of would be to check the document twice, once for English and again for Greek.

bpat74
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bpat74 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:23 pm

This is correct, i am talking about a single document with words in english and greek. So as i understand there is no way for dual language spell check just like MS Word for example. I have to set the most frequent language (which is greek for me) for spell check. Thank you very much for your replies.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:31 am

Tools / Language / For Selection or Tools / Language / For Paragraph you can set a different language for a section of the document's text.

bpat74
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bpat74 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:41 am

xenopeek wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:31 am
Tools / Language / For Selection or Tools / Language / For Paragraph you can set a different language for a section of the document's text.
Thank you for your reply, i know i can set the preferred language spell check for selection or for paragraph, i wonder if there is a way for dual spell check when i type english and greek words in a document. For example i also use ms word and when i type a words in a document, spell check is enabled in both languages (english and greek).

Return to “Software & Applications”