[Solved] Virtual Question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

[Solved] Virtual Question

Post by blueocean » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:19 am

I have a friend that really needs help. He's running a virtual Linux in Windows 10 on a legacy laptop with a 256GB SSD. He ran out of space (6GB left) and needs to migrate to a 500GB SSD. It is his work machine and it's very important. I tried Clonezilla on the phone with him and it generated an error and would not complete making the image onto a portable USB drive. Does anyone know an image program that will make an image and then be able to recover it on the 500GB. Plus it would need the partition C resized. I don't know with the virtual Linux imbedded in C: if Windows can resize it or not. I was planning on using Clonezilla in advanced mode to do it automatically, but obviously, that's not an option.
Last edited by blueocean on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Virtual Question

Post by catweazel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:25 am

blueocean wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:19 am
I tried Clonezilla on the phone with him and it generated an error
Surely you know by now that that is simply not sufficient information.

With it being a work machine, he should move only the VM then have his work technical people deal with any issues.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:43 am

that's true enough - - he should export that VM as an OVA file, that can then be imported back,
& ask his work IT people to upgrade that drive for him.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:32 am

IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:52 pm

catweazel wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:25 am
blueocean wrote:
I tried Clonezilla on the phone with him and it generated an error
Surely you know by now that that is simply not sufficient information.

With it being a work machine, he should move only the VM then have his work technical people deal with any issues.
He sent a camera pic of the error, but the res isn't very good. I have enhanced it a bit and included it. I know it's scant info, but he's 1000 miles from me and working 14 hours a day. Putting the question here was just a stab in the dark. Mainly thought a few ideas might be presented. If his IT people did it it would have to be shipped and he'd be unable to work for at least 2 weeks. Hence, he thought if it could be done at his office it would be the only viable course of action. We grew up together and have been best friends for 55 years.
596432952.jpg
596432952.jpg (34.9 KiB) Viewed 142 times
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:54 pm

blueocean wrote:
Does anyone know an image program that will make an image and then be able to recover it on the 500GB. Plus it would need the partition C resized. I don't know with the virtual Linux imbedded in C: if Windows can resize it or not.
FYI, Windows has a built in image backup utility. Tell your friend to to go Control Panel > Backup & Restore > Create a system image. It's described in Control Panel as a Win7 utility, but works fine in Win10 (I've used it).

Note friend will need either a System Repair Disk or a USB Recovery Drive. One or the other is needed to boot a restore session. The former is an option in the image backup utility. The latter will be found at Control Panel > Recovery > Create a recovery drive. Like Clonezilla, Windows image is a block backup, so it cares nothing about the file system. What I don't know is how it does restoring to a larger drive. Might require some cleanup with Disk Management (the Windows counterpart to GParted). Doubtless the information is readily available by internet search.

As for the virtual machine, to Windows those are just files. They will be backed up and restored the same as everything else. If friend wants to be sure it's safe, he can copy the VM folder to a USB drive, then copy back. No need to use the OVA export/import feature. Well, I know simply copying out and back works in VBox, as I've done it many times. Can't vouch for VMWare, but would expect it to work there also.

By the way, a quick temporary solution would be to move the VM to a USB drive and run it from there. That way the hard drive won't be so tight while he's getting his ducks lined up for the big job.
Last edited by pbear on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 pm

He's running a virtual Linux in Windows 10 on a legacy laptop with a 256GB SSD.
Given he is running windows, there is plenty of windows imaging software around, macrium reflect to name but one. That should solve the small to bigger SSD problem.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Update: Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I worked all day on duplicating his situation. As it turns out, it's VMWare not Oracle VB. I installed VMWare and put Mint on it. Works okay and better from my brief evaluation. Clonezilla made an image without any problems. As to why his does't, I don't know. I'll try the Windows image method tomorrow. That may work for him. I'm very familiar with it actually, from my Windows days. Win 10 has that baked in also. So, it's a work in progress. I'll post back with more later. Again thanks.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:59 pm

Windows Image Backup worked fine, then used Aomei Partition Manager to move the Recovery partition that was blocking partition C: from using the free space added by the larger SSD. Clonezilla errors were caused because he had System Restore points. Once they were deleted it also made the image. I eventually remembered Clonezilla not liking System Restore. So this is solved. Thanks everyone for jarring the brain cells.

Return to “Newbie Questions”