Avoiding workspace transition

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
james-r
Level 1
Level 1

Avoiding workspace transition

Post by james-r »

I don't like the workspace animation effect when switching workspaces.
I'd like to turn it off and have an "instantaneous" switch without the Workspace n label either.

Adding to this I'd like to know whether there's a way of assigning workspaces to particular programs, like opening Firefox in the 2nd workspace by default or switching workspaces using something like Ctrl+Alt+n instead of shifting through them.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Avoiding workspace transition

Post by Hoser Rob »

james-r wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:51 am
I don't like the workspace animation effect when switching workspaces.
I'd like to turn it off and have an "instantaneous" switch without the Workspace n label either.
Go to desktop effects in Settings to change animations and Workspaces for workspace labels. You don't say what Mint release or DE you're using but they all work the same.
Adding to this I'd like to know whether there's a way of assigning workspaces to particular programs, like opening Firefox in the 2nd workspace by default or switching workspaces using something like Ctrl+Alt+n instead of shifting through them.
AFAIK the only DE that does this is KDE via Activities but KDE isn't supported for Mint 19.x

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Nah, every window manager does it differently. But it's likely Cinnamon because the other default window managers don't animate by default (they can't all have Compiz' cube ;)).

See here for an example of how to open applications in specific workspaces: viewtopic.php?p=1529405#p1529405

Check your keybinds on how to access a numbered workspace directly, or if your DE does not have such a keybind then create one using wmctrl -s <workspace>.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

james-r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by james-r »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:40 am
Go to desktop effects in Settings to change animations and Workspaces for workspace labels. You don't say what Mint release or DE you're using but they all work the same.
I can't find such option. I am using Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

james-r wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:11 am
I can't find such option. I am using Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia.
Cinnamon, MATE or XFCE
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”