Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Fresh install UEFI

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:12 pm

I have a UEFI system with dual boot of Windows 10 an d Mint 19.2. How to manage the efi partition if I want to install Mint on an additional new ssd? I wonder. I will take this path some months down the line.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Fresh install UEFI

Post by blueocean » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:44 pm

What I do is disconnect the Windows drive and install Mint on the new SSD. After if I want them both attached, I use the motherboard boot menu to select.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:05 pm

blueocean wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:44 pm
What I do is disconnect the Windows drive and install Mint on the new SSD. After if I want them both attached, I use the motherboard boot menu to select.
I have a laptop so disconnecting the drive wont be easy.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Curious
How do you plan on installing Mint on the new SSD without disconnecting the Windows drive?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 pm

blueocean wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:28 pm
Curious
How do you plan on installing Mint on the new SSD without disconnecting the Windows drive?
The new drive may become sdc , sda being my existing drive. I will just install Mint on sdc . Will grub detect os on a separate drive?
Regards,
Deepak

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:28 am

I think it would if you direct the installer to use the new drive. If it's a UEFI system with a FAT32 partition on the Windows drive, Mint will share the partition and put Grub in a separate folder on that partition. At least that's my experience.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:26 am

grub will be able to find the OS on the other drive, no problem.

The only potential problem is that the new Mint install will install a new grub that will take control. And the installer is a big buggy in that respect, so it's quite probable that it will overwrite the grub from the old Mint on sda.
So it depends what exactly do you plan to do, whether you want to ditch out the old Mint after installing the new one, which Mint you want to have control over grub, whether you are okay with having Mint on sdc with its bootloader on sda...

If you want the old Mint to keep the control of grub, then I suggest to install the new Mint without bootloader : simply launch the installer from the terminal with ubiquity -b. Everything will proceed normally, and at the end of the install the installer will issue a warning window that you have not installed a bootloader. Disregard it, shutdown and boot into the old Mint, sudo update-grub and when you reboot you will have a new entry in the grub menu to boot the new Mint.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 am

[quote=fabien85 post_id=1723673
[/quote]

That's fantastic . Thanks for your reply. asa now has a separate efi partition which is mounted during boot. Would sdc install require separate efi partition? I wonder how the installer will manage it.
Bios has the boot drive listed so the priority of the drive should drive from which drive system is controlled and booted.
Regards,
Deepak

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:45 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 am
Would sdc install require separate efi partition? I wonder how the installer will manage it.
If I recall correctly, the installer will by default use the EFI partition which is already present on sda. So it will overwrite the grub that is there (on EFI/ubuntu/) with a new one that will be controlled by the new Mint.
You can create an EFI partition on sdc if you want, and you could tell the installer to install grub there. Unfortunately the installer is buggy on that respect, and will quite probably still install grub on sda.
If you are okay with having grub on sda, then it's perfect.
Just remember it if you one day need to move sdc to another computer : Linux will not boot because the EFI partition will not be on that drive. (in fact, even if it were, it would not boot the first time, you would need to first create a boot entry in the NVRAM of the new computer, which can be done with various tools)
If you want to force grub to install on an EFI partition on sdc, I think the safest is to make it manually. I can guide you on how to do that if you wish.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:17 pm

Another solution to this problem (the installer wanting to use the first EFI partition it finds) is to remove the boot/esp flags with GParted, then restore them after installation. I describe the steps (not my own discovery) in more detail here, in my tutorial on full install to USB drives.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 pm

pbear wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:17 pm
Another solution to this problem (the installer wanting to use the first EFI partition it finds) is to remove the boot/esp flags with GParted, then restore them after installation. I describe the steps (not my own discovery) in more detail here, in my tutorial on full install to USB drives.
That sounds like the best solution by far to me. Simple and for sure would work.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 pm

pbear wrote:
Thank you for the detailed tutorial.
Regards,
Deepak

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:32 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 pm
pbear wrote:
Thank you for the detailed tutorial.
You're welcome. Bear in mind, the trick isn't limited to USB install. The same thing works with two internal drives, where you're protecting sda while you install to sdb. Done successfully, for example, in this recent thread by new user ozbear.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Installation & Boot”