Dual boot Windows 8.1 and Mint, how does it actually work?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ozbear
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot Windows 8.1 and Mint, how does it actually work?

Post by ozbear » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:51 pm

After successfully installing dual-boot arrangement between Windows 8.1 Pro and Linux Mint 19.2, I am a little puzzled as to what actually happens at boot time.
It is possible that this post is better in the Installation and Boot subforum, but I am still very much a newbie, so thought I would ask here first.
So, the arrangement if have created is that Windows 8.1 is on sda with its own EFI partition. Linux is on sbd5 (EFI) and sdb6(root \).
I have followed pbear's tutorial on disabling Window's EFI boot flags before installing Linux Mint on sdb with its own EFI and \root partitions, and then re-enabling them post installation.
There are/are still 4 other "Windows" partitions on sdb.
The reason for two separate EFI partition was to keep Windows doing anything crummy if the Linux boot machinery shared Windows EFI, and perhaps, vice-versa.

That's the environment, but now I don't understand how grub(?) gets "in first" to give me the list of operating system to boot from. How does my (EUFI) motherboard boot machinery know to look at Linux's EFI partition first, or does UEFI scan for all EFI partitions and doing this on its own, or Window's EFI actually modified?
Be aware that the whole purpose in having separate EFI partitions (Windows/Linux) was for them to be independent.

I apologize in advance to the vagueness of this question but have struggle to state it more clearly.

Regards, oz

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dual boot Windows 8.1 and Mint, how does it actually work?

Post by kato181 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:04 am

What you will encounter probably is when winboes updates, it could possibly bugger up the grub boot settings for linux.
But there are plenty of guides on here to fix that problem should it happen.
You're asking questions that are more complicated to answer unless one is a hardware and software manufacturer. It's like asking a layman what makes the car engine work. Unless you are a mechanic you wouldn't know. All you have to worry about at this time is that Linux Mint works. Gaining more knowledge as you get used to mint will solve your questions you are asking..I'm still learning and I'm thankful that people on this forum are willing to help. Linux is a great system to tinker with.
Admittedly it's a new learning curve, I'm 70 so my little grey cells take longer to absorb. You'll get there if you are younger.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Dual boot Windows 8.1 and Mint, how does it actually work?

Post by pbear » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:56 pm

ozbear wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:51 pm
How does my (EUFI) motherboard boot machinery know to look at Linux's EFI partition first?
There's a setting in the firmware which tells the system which hard drive to boot first. If you were to change that and boot the Windows drive first, you would not see Grub. As the Mint drive is first, you do, and then Grub includes entries for both Mint and Windows because it's designed to do that.

Caveat: I don't have a dual boot system. What I just described is my understanding based on having seen many discussions on the Forum.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Newbie Questions”