My Linux 'Tricia' Journey

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

My Linux 'Tricia' Journey

Post by mintjulip » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:55 pm

After all the trouble I had with 'Tina' 19.2 with random crashes and freezes, I thought I would keep a small diary about my journey with Linux 'Tricia' 19.3 which you are welcome to contribute to or comment if you wish, as I am running an AMD 3.2 Quad Core and an Nvidea Geforce 25:1

Having burned a Mirror and Installed 'Tricia' 19'3 I wasn't really sure what to expect but when I booted 19'3 for the very first time, I was totally blown away by the very classy GUI

Just a simple White on Black that really had the 'Wow Factor' and then I gave it the full 9 yards to see if I could break it, although when using 'Tina' it was 'Tina' that broke me, with Random Mouse and Screen Freezes that seemed to happen nearly all the time

Hard Re-Start after Hard Re-Start and Clean Install after Clean Install, 'Tina' was driving me Crazy and had me going back to Windows 7 or at least it would have done but something Stopped Windows from Booting on my Stand alone Hard Drive

Not so with Linux 'Tricia' 19.3 which just looks so Polished and Classy, that She's easy to fall in love with and I just think She's Gorgeous! or maybe its me and I'm far too easily pleased

The Answer being 'Yes She is and No I'm most certainly Not'

I hope they don't change the GUI as for me this is the one 'So simple and yet so eyewateringly beautiful!'

But would She do a 'Tina' and Randomly Crash?

And so in order to find out I tried to break her, by opening multiple pages and magnifying the pages to the max, which must have driven the CPU right to the edge of reason but 'Tricia' stayed Rock Solid and refused to flinch

At least She did to begin with but on day 2 when running her at a very leisurely pace She decided to 'Crash' and later on in the day She went 'Black Screen' and although after 'Tina' I thought I could live with that

Today I upgraded the Kernal from the 'System Tray' and so far haven't encountered any more problems, although I realise 19.3 is still in the Beta stages of development, although at the moment so far so good and I'm very optimistic that this distro could be the one I've waited for

mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Re: My Linux 'Tricia' Journey

Post by mintjulip » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:24 pm

December 5th 2019

Updated the kernel and got a Bug on the BIOS Computer went 'Black Screen' died and wouldn't Re-Boot

Had to do a Clean Install but didn't upgrade the kernel, seemed to be working OK (ish) but then got Mouse and Screen Freeze while playing YouTube Video, so had to Re-Boot

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: My Linux 'Tricia' Journey

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:16 pm

I had a problem with terminal, and it was fixed by installing the latest Kernel in the 5.3 series.
the default 5.0 kernel is way old.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F
System:
  Host: john-TUF-Gaming-FX705GM-FX705GM Kernel: 5.3.0-24-generic x86_64 
  bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 
I agree, the GUI is just plain 'wow'..... it is even better than 18.3 Cinnamon which is my favorite.

I have a few niggling things that 'bug me', namely that Systems is not in the Panel like it used to be, and I have not found a way to put it there yet.

Tricia did something that I have never seen before, it detected my WiFi printer and installed it w/o me doing a thing.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”