Canon LiDE or Epson V?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Canon LiDE or Epson V?

Post by momist »

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but my searches so far seem to reveal that either scanner can be used, but both have difficulties to be overcome first.
I am currently using Mint 19.2 Tina with Cinnamon desktop on a Dell XPS15 laptop. I have a Canon TS8150 multifunction printer/scanner, which works, but the scan function is just not good enough for scanning my wife's artwork. She does fine art botanical illustration in the watercolour style, but using acrylic paints. Every year she paints a new Christmas card, and this year's card is now ready for scanning and printing, but I can't get a good enough scan (it worked OK last year, but the artwork was simpler!).
So, I think the answer is to hurriedly buy a new dedicated scanner, and for artwork the choice seems to be between the Canon LiDE 220, or the Canon LiDE 400 or the Epson Perfection V370 Photo and Film Scanner. I would welcome the facility to scan photo negatives properly, but would rarely use it, so if the Canon was likely to do a better job it is at least going to be somewhat compatible with the printer.
I would love any advice on which brand I am going to get the better experience with, given that I already have the Canon scanner working on the MF printer.
Thanks for ANY help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Canon LiDE or Epson V?

Post by absque fenestris »

Try to see if your scanner delivers better results with VueScan. I scanned my pictures (approx. Size A4) with 600dpi, and save them as TIFF. Very, very rarely with 1200dpi. Every Scanner now delivers this.
If your current Scanner also produces bad images with VueScan, I would tap on a better Canon. The more expensive Epsons are neither fish nor bird - for 35mm negatives and slides they are limited, better in this case are pure slide scanners.

https://www.hamrick.com/alternate-versions.html

VueScan is not free - as long as you have not paid, a watermark will appear. However, to my knowledge it is one of the few professional scan programs available for Linux. And you only pay once, the following Updates are free. The Epsons are only professional together with the program Silverline; this costs extra and does not work with Linux.

I would probably take a problematic picture with my digital SLR, the macro lens and with flash lighting, possibly with polarizing filter.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Thanks for the advice, absque fenestris.
I have ordered the Epson scanner, as a distressed purchase to see if it will work for me, just before I saw your reply. Years ago I had an old Epson scanner that worked excellently for a very long time for this purpose, but it had a SCSSI interface and Win95 drivers that will not adapt to any modern computer and ended up being recycled. So sad. That too, had the facility to scan negatives and slides, and even coped well with hand coloured Victorian lantern slides that I inherited. I guess that experience swayed my decision.
The Canon LiDE 220 is now I think discontinued, and being sold off cheaply at around £69. If I struggle with the Epson, I will try returning it and buy one of those to try.
I used an earlier version of VueScan many years ago on a free trial, and agree that it's a good solution. However, the price for the full version is IMO a bit over the top for software in an environment where most software is free. It might come to that in the end though . . .
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

I know this situation: I still use a Umax PL III which is connected via SCSI to an old IBM server with UbuntuStudio, year 2011. And with VueScan.
Since then I have tried many USB scanners. The best of them is a Canon 8400f where the notoriously unstable USB always goes on strike when I urgently need the scanner.
Furthermore, the old Umax simply makes the better scans from slides, e.g. from old hand-framed slides in glass that don't fit into a slide scanner.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Well, the scanner arrived today and I have successfully scanned and printed the Christmas Card. However, I had to use that horrible other OS on my laptop that is named after the place that lets light into the room :cry:
I have installed the Epson ImageScan 3.61.0 on my system, and it simply doesn't see the scanner. More research required, and I don't have the time! :(
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Who knows - maybe the $40 or $90 charged for VueScan is worth the price. Also, you will have software that runs on all operating systems with practically all scanners.
The other manufacturer - LaserSoft with the software SilverFast - charges 289 Euro for their product...(without Linux support)

https://www.hamrick.com/

https://www.scandig.com/software/silver ... index.html
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Did you by any chance try Xsane on your scanners to see if that would give the results you want?

I had to install it for a friend to make his muti-function printer even scan, nothing else would work with his printer.

Xsane.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Hi AZgl1500, thanks for the reply. I have already got Xsane installed, as it uses the rubbish scanner on my WiFi Canon MFP (TS8150). The Canon works fine with Xsane, Gimp and SimpleScan. The system just can't connect to the Epson scanner though.
I've installed the Epson drivers from their website, but can't now remember where I found them, as the usual links to drivers there now all come up blank! I've tried removing and reinstalling those drivers without the 'network' option (it's a USB scanner), to no effect.
lsusb returns a line "Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04b8:014a Seiko Epson Corp. "
sane-find-scanner returns : "found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x014a [EPSON Perfection V37/V370]) at libusb:001:006"
But: Xsane scans for scanners and doesn't find it.
Epson's own ImageScan runs, but similarly can't find the scanner, nor can SimpleScan, which I can still use with the Canon MFP.

I've searched and searched on here for a solution, but without success, and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. Many are saying that theirs failed after upgrade to Mint 19, or similar, and one user had his working using a YouTube guide, but then later it failed again and using that guide didn't work again.

So I'm now stumped. I suspect that this is a udev problem, but I really haven't a clue how to fix it. I'm thinking it's time to start a new thread for this.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

momist wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:58 am
I've installed the Epson drivers from their website, but can't now remember where I found them, as the usual links to drivers there now all come up blank! I've tried removing and reinstalling those drivers without the 'network' option (it's a USB scanner), to no effect.

I've searched and searched on here for a solution, but without success, and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. Many are saying that theirs failed after upgrade to Mint 19, or similar, and one user had his working using a YouTube guide, but then later it failed again and using that guide didn't work again.

So I'm now stumped. I suspect that this is a udev problem, but I really haven't a clue how to fix it. I'm thinking it's time to start a new thread for this.
I have had the same problem with using the same link to get Epson drivers, you have to start at the zero point, and work your way down thru their archaic Q&A list until you finally come up with the driver link.

I have a thread on that: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=265873

As they released new drivers just a couple weeks before I posted that thread, see if that link is useful now?

using the 1st link on that page, and entering only v37 gave me this result
Attachments
v37.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Interesting. The version I installed says that it is Image Scan 3.61.0.
I can easily uninstall it, and then try your link. Sadly, I'm too busy at the moment to devote much time to this, but I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the pointer.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

yeah,
that release date of 8.22.2019 is encouraging.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”