Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Embedded album art is not displaying in FLAC or MP3 files in Nemo

Post by Midnighter »

As above. Currently running 19.3 Cinnamon. The album art shows fine in Windows file manager, and in Dolphin for PCLinuxOS, only choking in Nemo, for some odd reason. This did not used to be an issue, so quite puzzled. Booted back off the liveusb of 19.3 to check, in case some setting had changed, but no, same, thumbnails for audio files not working. Just the generic icon for the files. Yes, thumbnailing is enabled, and turned up. I've been doing this for years, making sure to get full advantage of previewing this way. I noticed this issue at one point when running 19.2, was puzzled, and about to reinstall, when 19.3 beta was released. Ran that, currently on fresh install of 19.3 (reasons), and still no thumbnails for my audio files. Extremely odd. And to be honest, annoying.

Has something changed I am unaware of? Anyone else getting this? It only seems to be an issue with Mint/Nemo, as I said, album art thumbnails work fine in Windows file manager, and Dolphin in PCLOS. So clearly not an issue with the files, plus, this USED to work fine in Linux Mint also. All the files are my own, ripped from CDs I own, and the album art added myself. Worked fine, showed up fine, not exactly sure when it stopped showing in Nemo, as I don't need to manually go into the folders often (using lollypop for music mostly). I may be rambling, but just trying to make sure I make this as clear as possible. They DID work. Still do in other file managers. The files are fine. For some odd reason, Nemo is refusing to thumbnail the album art any more. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Embedded album art is not displaying in FLAC or MP3 files in Nemo

Post by smurphos »

I've just opened a another thread on this issue viewtopic.php?f=47&t=308026

This issue is that 19.3 doesn't ship with an thumbnailer that supports extracting the cover art from audio. 19.2 and earlier did (the thumbnailer was provided by xplayer)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
kishoreuk2008
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kishoreuk2008 »

I had the same issue after I messed up some video players in Linux Mint 19.2 but my problem got solved after I removed all the video players (through Synaptic Package Manager) from Linux Mint and just installed Xplayer from 'Synaptic Package Manager'. And I kept both Xplayer and VLC as my video players.

After upgrading to Linux Mint 19.3, the same thing happened again because of celluloid player is the default video player. After the upgradation was complete, I installed the Xplayer through 'Software Manager' without uninstalling the celluloid but it didn't solve the problem. But I tried the same steps as before.

I did complete removal of celluloid and Xplayer through 'Synaptic Package Manager' including ffmpegthumbnailer and installed 'Xplayer' again from Synaptic Package Manager'. Then I removed all thumbnails from Home > .cache > thumnails restarted the system and cover pictures again appeared for both videos and musics. As I'm not a fan of celluloid I didn't reinstall the celluloid. I just kept Xplayer and VLC player as video players.

Maybe it will help you too.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

THanks for the feedback guys. Been ill, and kinda let this slip to the wayside. With these pointers, i pulled celluloid, added xplayer back, and added tumbler thumbnailer for good measure. Refreshed Nemo, and yay, my album art thumbnails are back again. Much appreciate the pointer in the right direction. I'm a visual fella, and without my glasses always at hand, spotting album art is far easier than reading when hunting for stuff. Cheers. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:06 am
I've just opened a another thread on this issue viewtopic.php?f=47&t=308026

This issue is that 19.3 doesn't ship with an thumbnailer that supports extracting the cover art from audio. 19.2 and earlier did (the thumbnailer was provided by xplayer)
THat never even occurred to me. Thanks for pointing this out. I'd just assumed I'd done somehting wrong, as it USED to work in the older version.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

kishoreuk2008 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 am
I had the same issue after I messed up some video players in Linux Mint 19.2 but my problem got solved after I removed all the video players (through Synaptic Package Manager) from Linux Mint and just installed Xplayer from 'Synaptic Package Manager'. And I kept both Xplayer and VLC as my video players.

After upgrading to Linux Mint 19.3, the same thing happened again because of celluloid player is the default video player. After the upgradation was complete, I installed the Xplayer through 'Software Manager' without uninstalling the celluloid but it didn't solve the problem. But I tried the same steps as before.

I did complete removal of celluloid and Xplayer through 'Synaptic Package Manager' including ffmpegthumbnailer and installed 'Xplayer' again from Synaptic Package Manager'. Then I removed all thumbnails from Home > .cache > thumnails restarted the system and cover pictures again appeared for both videos and musics. As I'm not a fan of celluloid I didn't reinstall the celluloid. I just kept Xplayer and VLC player as video players.

Maybe it will help you too.
THis and the above post pointed me in the right direction, all fixed now, and back to being happy again. Appreciate your sharing your steps with me, I pulled celluloid, added xplayer and it's extras back, and everything works again. Joy