Mint v19.3 audio popping

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jalin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint v19.3 audio popping

Post by jalin »

Hi MrEen, you may be interested to know I recently switched to Ubuntu 20.04 kernel 5.4.0-52 and having the exact same horrendous boom/buzz issues with this laptop (dell XPS 13 2019)

Thankfully, I came back to this thread and did the two main things you discovered/recommended:

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf <<<'options snd-hda-intel power_save=0'

and
xed admin:///etc/pulse/default.pa
in ubuntu use gedit instead of xed

then comment out second line

Code: Select all

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle
so it looks like this

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
# load-module module-suspend-on-idle

and restart pulse audio with pulseaudio -k

this still gives me the standard startup and shutdown (or even sleep and logout) boom/buzzes of deafening proportions, but as long my speakers are powered off at those times it's good... cheers!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi again jalin,

That is what I would expect in this case. All of Mint's sound stack comes from Ubuntu. But thank you for mentioning it anyway. Being on Ubuntu now, it would be somewhat easier for you to raise a bug report on this. The difficulty is where, as you've applied a PulseAudio edit as well as an ALSA edit to get to where you are now. The ALSA bug probably belongs in the kernel bugs area.

The proper location for each is:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux

I believe there's something in Ubuntu to simplify bug reporting, but I have no idea where to find it.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi VanillaCallOption,

Let's get a look at your sound setup first with this command:

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
The last line of output will have a URL pointing to the info.
jalin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jalin »

MrEen wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:59 pm Hi again jalin,
Thank you, I will do that

Audio seems like a bit of an afterthought in linux land -- even if there was a primetime-ready pro-audio workstation (like Ableton, Cubase, Protools, Logic, etc) I feel like the kernel may not be up to snuff to run it cleanly. Rule number one, bring down your faders down!

Might be worth the kernel devs' time to rebuild and refine linux system audio
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

jalin wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:36 pm Might be worth the kernel devs' time to rebuild and refine linux system audio
That actually is happening ... again!

I had to edit out what I initially wrote here as I shouldn't badmouth certain people. Let's just say that hopefully when the new audio driver is implemented across the board that issues like yours will be a thing of the past. It's already in place, but only used by systems that require it's use right now, which is computers with digital microphone arrays. Eventually it'll be in use by all.
jalin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jalin »

MrEen wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:56 pm
jalin wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:36 pm Might be worth the kernel devs' time to rebuild and refine linux system audio
That actually is happening ... again!
interesting, thanks for the info! is there somewhere I can read more about this dev stream? Linux generally is such a stable and predictable OS, which is *exactly* what one wants in a pro audio setup especially. It really could take over the audio/video world with a few key tools (backed by a solid audio driver)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

The sof audio driver github page is here: https://github.com/thesofproject

The main website is here: https://www.sofproject.org/
jalin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jalin »

Oh very nice --- wonder when it will be integrated with stable kernel release for general purpose audio (ie., incl. simple playback in browser)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I have no idea I'm afraid. But it used for general audio for those that needed it simply because of the microphone. There have been many growing pains so far, and more to come I'm sure, so I imagine it wouldn't be in full use until considered safe for all. That could be months or years from now.
jalin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jalin »

Gonna look into running this myself
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

You've actually already tried: viewtopic.php?p=1840311#p1840311

3 was the sof driver.

There's multiple pieces to the puzzle. Maybe the results would be different now, but I'm suspecting not.
jalin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jalin »

Correct MrEen, tried again on my current setup --- driver 2 gives no audio at all, drivers 3,4,5 give same pop/boom/buzz as driver 1. Actually with driver 3 the buzz just holds until I shut down the computer --- so this isn't an issue with overlooking level fades, since that would just be one discrete boom

back to driver 1 for now, being careful to power up my external speakers only when the OS is already running, and power off speakers before shutting down or sleeping the OS

btw, my internal laptop speakers have no issue
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

jalin wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:06 pm btw, my internal laptop speakers have no issue
Ahhh, that is interesting! Not that I can do anything about it, but it does change things a bit. Let me see this one again as the old one has expired:

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Actually, I found a copy of the alsa-info.sh script that was still up, so I don't need the curl output.

I'm thinking your speakers are plugged in to a headphone port. If that is correct, I have an idea to try that could possibly resolve this.

Install alsa-tools and run this command:

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x21 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x40
This is a shot in the dark, but I'm hoping you'll notice no shutdown boom. If that works, you'll still have the startup boom presently because that command doesn't survive a reboot, but we can fix that.

My thinking in case you're interested is presently the headphone pin uses 0xc0 instead of 0x40. I've noticed in the hundreds (thousands?) of outputs I've seen that the headphone pin is usually 0xc0, but the Line Out pin is usually 0x40. Maybe that change will make the port act more like a Line Out port where powered speakers are to be expected.

It's a shot in the dark, but something I would try if I were in this spot. It may make the port stop working completely, or introduce other noise. A reboot will resolve that. Just to be safe, do have the volume lower than normal when testing this.

EDIT: And if that doesn't work, we can try changing the pin to Line Out(Front) instead of Headphones and that might do the job.
jalin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jalin »

very interesting thinking! installed also tools and ran
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x21 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x40

Shutdown boom remains, and startup boom remains as expected

Btw, boom is same (beyond max loud) regardless of my OS volume settings, def capable of physical damage to diaphragm. My outboard speakers only have level control for the sub, so I unplug tweeters from their amp (same enclosure as sub)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Okay, now install alsa-tools-gui so you can run HDAJackRetask. When it opens make sure ALC3271 is chosen in the upper left for Select a Codec. Check the Override box for pin 0x21 and change Headphones to Line Out (Front), then click on Apply now. If that produces a "Device or resource busy" error, click on Install boot override, then reboot and boom-check.

If there was no error, go ahead and reboot and see if the shutdown boom happened. In this case, there's nothing to change if it didn't work as the change didn't survive a reboot, but if you had to click on Install boot override, you'll need to run it again and click on Remove boot override then reboot one more time to undo it.

No idea what the chances are of this helping, but it's the last think I can think of right now.
jalin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jalin »

Very cool GUI!

Did as instructed, no dice. All booms remain

Undid boot override as instructed

many thank yous
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

We're stuck with your turn off, reboot, turn on, I'm afraid. I've got nothing left.

With luck, some future update will fix this. I have no idea how long this could be. Months-years is possible.

Maybe another OS will work differently. If that happens, then there should be some way to fix this, but it's over my head.

Maybe even a full new install will fix this, but I'm not recommending that just to see if it works.
jalin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jalin »

no problem --- I'm sure a solution will pop up eventually!

this is a fresh install btw, few days old
ubuntu 20.04 kernel 5.4.0-52-generic

OS runs fabulously fast/stable with low CPU temp, no TLP changes

was getting very inefficient results with lin mint 18 cinnamon -- I believe I had tried 2 kernels on that install

Return to “Sound”