Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
yesdrs13
Level 1
Level 1

CBS.com not displaying videos in any browser anymore

Post by yesdrs13 »

Hi, I have an unusual problem that happened about 2 weeks ago. I love using Linux 19.3 Cinnamon x64 edition. I usually watch a few CBS series using the latest version of Firefox. Suddenly, Firefox stopped playing the videos in Firefox browser. I've downloaded fresh copies and tried Chromium and Opera browsers too, and same effect. I keep getting a message stating "video cannot be played" or the screen goes black (in the browsers). Now, I have a dual boot laptop into Windows 10 Pro x64 also and tried Firefox in Windows AND THAT WORKED! Is there an update in Cinnamon that's causing all browsers to not play CBS videos?

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Re: CBS.com not displaying videos in any browser anymore

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

yesdrs13 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:21 pm
Suddenly, Firefox stopped playing the videos in Firefox browser.
You can try sudo apt install --reinstall mint-meta-codecs.

I don't know if that will fix the problem for you but it's the first thing I would do if I had the same issue.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

sleeper12
Level 7
Level 7

Post by sleeper12 »

Turning adblocker off worked for me on Mint 18 Mate. If that doesn't work for you, try playing them in private/incognito mode. If they play there, it might be an extension blocking them.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

CBS, like any other media company, is in business to make money. Part of their income stream derives from advertising. If you do adblock, or something similar, that cuts off a piece of their revenue. So make your choice to see videos and be monetized, or block ads and just miss their programming.

CBS is on most cable content, and certainly over the air.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

dondidly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dondidly »

Not meaning to hijack or something like that but I have the same problem. Mint v 19.1, Chrome v.71.0.3809.100 (64 bit). Laster year upgraded from 17 to 19.1 due to inability to use amazon video. Just started to try cbs all access video yesterday and it will only show the ad before the show but then the show video does not display. This happens on both chrome and firefox browsers. Not using ad blockers. Not having this problem with any other video service. The videos show just fine on our windows 7 pc using chrome. Tried the --reinstall of mint-meta-codecs and did not help.
Perplexed -Don

sleeper12
Level 7
Level 7

Post by sleeper12 »

dondidly wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm
Not meaning to hijack or something like that but I have the same problem. Mint v 19.1, Chrome v.71.0.3809.100 (64 bit). Laster year upgraded from 17 to 19.1 due to inability to use amazon video. Just started to try cbs all access video yesterday and it will only show the ad before the show but then the show video does not display. This happens on both chrome and firefox browsers. Not using ad blockers. Not having this problem with any other video service. The videos show just fine on our windows 7 pc using chrome. Tried the --reinstall of mint-meta-codecs and did not help.
Perplexed -Don
Do they play in incognito or private mode?

yesdrs13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yesdrs13 »

dondidly wrote:
Perplexed -Don
Thanks for responding. I, also, have tried the sudo apt-get install --reinstall mint-meta-codecs with no success. :( I'm beginning to wonder if CBS is blocking anything that is not Windows. I don't know if Mac users are having this issue, but isn't that called monopolizing, which, I believe, is illegal?

yesdrs13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yesdrs13 »

sleeper12 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:32 pm
dondidly wrote:
Perplexed -Don
Do they play in incognito or private mode?
Hi. No, unfortunately, private modes don't work either. The error I get is:

"OOPS! We're having some trouble playing this video. Please try again. If you continue to experience issues, check your internet connection or restart your router. Need help? Visit our FAQ. Error Code: 1001"

Now, I've done everything including resetting router and going to their FAQ. Tried everything in the FAQ and, still, nothing changes. I go to Windows with the same Firefox extensions and no problems at all. It's very weird!

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob »

dondidly wrote:
... Chrome v.71.0.3809.100 (64 bit). ...
I'm on Chrome 79.0.3945.117. You need to update yours.

dondidly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dondidly »

Installed chrome 79.0.3945,117. same issue. Again this problems happens on BOTH chrome and firefox.

sleeper12
Level 7
Level 7

Post by sleeper12 »

Nothing works for me now either, just a commercial then a black screen. Maybe you have to be a member for videos to play? I see 'SIGN IN' & 'TRY CBS ALL ACCESS' buttons upper right.

gittiest personITW
Level 6
Level 6

Post by gittiest personITW »

Could you try it on a 'Private' session in both browsers and see if it works.
If that doesn't could you install Vivaldi or Brave browsers and try it in one of them to see if it is a setting/popup blocker.

sleeper12
Level 7
Level 7

Post by sleeper12 »

I tried it in private sessions on Chromium & Firefox. Neither works for me. Disabled hardware acceleration, no help.

gittiest personITW
Level 6
Level 6

Try a clean browser newly installed and without addons.
I haven't read the whole thread but did you have ANY addons installed?

sleeper12
Level 7
Level 7

Post by sleeper12 »

It's strange, seems to be a hit or miss thing. Some play, some don't. This one plays for me even with adblocker & extensions on:

https://www.cbs.com/shows/the_price_is_ ... -car-week/

gittiest personITW
Level 6
Level 6

I'm in the 'wrong region' - won't let me play it.

Is it that suddenly some of them can play? Or have you tried something and that seems to allow some of them to play?

sleeper12
Level 7
Level 7

Post by sleeper12 »

I'm not the OP, but everything is the same on my system. I'm just trying different videos on that site. Some play, others don't.

SapperMC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SapperMC »

sleeper12 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:14 pm
Nothing works for me now either, just a commercial then a black screen. Maybe you have to be a member for videos to play? I see 'SIGN IN' & 'TRY CBS ALL ACCESS' buttons upper right.
Sign in or membership isn't required. I go on cbs on my other computer that still uses windows 10. Everything played just fine.

yesdrs13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yesdrs13 »

sleeper12 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:14 pm
This seems to happen in Linux, not in Windows. You don't have to be a member if the video doesn't say "Subscribe" on it. They are free for everyone to view.

sleeper12
Level 7
Level 7

Post by sleeper12 »

Ok. As I said, for me, some play, some don't. No idea why they don't all play.

Return to “Software & Applications”