Can't install 19.3 because keyboard and mouse don't work

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Castingman
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install 19.3 because keyboard and mouse don't work

Post by Castingman »

Have old computer running Windows 10: CPU - AMD FX-8350; Graphics Card - MSI AMD Radeon R7 240 - MB: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3; SSD - WS Blue 500GB SATA III; USB Keyboard - Logitech Internet 350; USB Mouse - Logitech RX1000. Downloaded Linux Mint 19.3 iso, passed checksum and signature verification, created bootable USB stick. Booted from USB stick, got screen with 3 options for installation and was able to select using keyboard arrow keys and enter key. Computer boots to screen with icons, one of which is "Install", but I can't get any further because keyboard and mouse now will not work and cursor remains fixed in the screen center.

I've tried each of the 3 options as well as all of the USB ports on the computer with exactly the same results.

Full disclosure: This is my second foray into the Linux World. Two days ago I tried Ubuntu and had exactly the same results! I've posted to their forum but have yet to receive a response.

Hope someone here can help!

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Can't install 19.3 because keyboard and mouse don't work

Post by Pierre »

this can be one of those scenarios, where it still does pay to have an older style PS2 keyboard & mouse.

this doesn't happen that often, these days, and when it does, this is the scenario that does happen.
- it shouldn't happen, at all, as your usb keyboard & mouse, should be auto-detected & thus get used by the Linux system.
:(
sometimes, you can in the PCs BIOS - - set an option, for Legacy usb support,
so look and see if that BIOS option, is available.

the situation, will often be resolved, once the LinuxMint system, has been fully Installed,
but sometimes, even then, it is not .. it is dependent on which model & manufacturer, that your usb keyboard & mouse is.

just, how recent, is that Logitech combo ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Castingman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Castingman »

Pierre, thanks for responding.

Don't have a PS2 keyboard or mouse. The Logitech USB wired keyboard and mouse were bought in 2015 or 2016. I also tried a Logitech wireless combo bought late last year and a 2011 HP keyboard and mouse. None work. Legacy USB is and has always been enabled in BIOS.

Today, while booted to the Linux Mint desktop, I was plugging in various combinations of the mice and keyboards (without any success) when I noticed 2 dialog windows had appeared on screen. The topmost one said "You are currently running in fallback mode." with an option to restart. The other one was mostly obscured behind the topmost one but the top line says "You have just inserted a medium. Choose what". Not sure what they mean and if they might hint at a solution.

Would a male PS2 to female USB adapter solve my problem? Is there another version of Linux that wouldn't have this problem?

ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

This issue with usb keyboard and mouse on Linux Mint 19.3 on AMD machines is being discussed on Linux Forums here in Brazil.

So far no solution. See for example:
https://www.vivaolinux.com.br/topico/Li ... ?pagina=01

Castingman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Castingman »

Ricardo, thanks for responding.

I tried using a USB keyboard/mouse with a PS2 male to USB female adapter and it didn't work.

From your link it appears that this problem is new to the 19.3 version and that earlier Linux Mint versions worked with a USB keyboard/mouse. I'm going to try an earlier version.

Castingman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Castingman »

I've now tried several earlier versions of Ubuntu and Linux Mint and the results have all been the same: USB keyboard works and I'm able to select from the boot list but after booting to the Linux desktop neither the keyboard nor mouse work.

While booting, several lines of text flash by quickly. After watching multiple boots I noticed multiple lines referencing some kind of error. The lines look like this :(I'll use x to represent numbers that differ in each line.)

xxxxxxxx usb x-x device descriptor error read/64 error -32

Could this have something to do with the problem I'm having?

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Sounds like the issue Windows 7 users have been dealing with for years now (bad USB support on fresh install) to some extent. I always build with an eye to having atleast one PS/2 connector on my hardware to avoid these kind of issues, but that probably is not much help unless you do have such a port on your computer? If so find/borrow an old PS/2 mouse or keyboard (or both!) and or one of those PS/2 to USB connector things and you should be fine.

I suspect once it is all installed properly this issue will go away, so you just need to work out the 'path of least resistence' to the problem at hand :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Castingman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Castingman »

With much help from others more knowledgeable than I, the following solution was found.

First, in the BIOS settings, under the Peripherals tab, you must set "IOMMU Controller" option to "Enabled". Without this setting, USB will not work at all under Linux. My understanding is that the integrated NIC will not work either, but I had it set properly before I got that far (I used a GParted live CD for partitioning prior to installation). USB mice and keyboards still work fine in the BIOS settings, so no worries making this simple change.

Secondly, once Linux is installed USB 3.0 ports will not work (they don't fall back to 2.0 or anything, they are just dead) until you add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft" to /etc/default/grub and then run update-grub (Debian) or grub2-mkconfig (Red Hat) to apply the change.

This was from a review of the Gigabyte motherboard by David A. Jayne. For more details, see his complete review at https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-990F ... B00545BZOG

Return to “Newbie Questions”