Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Mitakuye
Level 1
Level 1

compact desktop menu? startup app location/size? [SOLVED kind of ]

Post by Mitakuye »

for Cinnamon 19.3.

While I am continuing to play with the settings, trying different themes, and continue to google, I thought I toss my questions out here in hope my search will be shortened. I do appreciate your time! Thanks for reading.

I wasn't sure if I should start 2 threads or just keep it all on this one. 2 questions.

[SOLVED] kind of Question #1: How did you make your desktop menu to be much more smaller, compact? Is it possible to relocate the "menu search" to like inside the panel, or something similar, as is done on Windows 10?

I like the old Windows Classic theme that was simple, very small. I removed all icons and made my panel height as small as it would go (20). I also used the word "compact" to help find a different theme. Adapta-Eta has a smaller, more compact menu, but I was wanting to go smaller. If possible, move the "menu search" to a different location, maybe? From what I have played with, I am guessing the only way I can change this is by changing the theme and panel settings.

[SOLVED] Question #2: Is there a way to set location/size parameters for a startup application?

I found out how to open my file manger with the startup applications area, but, since I am running Cinnamon as VM in "seamless mode" created by virtualbox, I need to have a window at the same location and height as the desktop menu so to make the desktop menu visible in "seamless mode".
Last edited by Mitakuye on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mitakuye
Level 1
Level 1

Re: compact desktop menu? startup app location/size?

Post by Mitakuye »

[SOLVED] for question #2

https://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq3 ... amless.png. ( i apologize about the photo watermark, not by choice). This url is a picture of LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.3,VM created by VirtualBox, in "seamless mode with dual screens". Windows 10 as host OS. I tried to attach a .jpeg but says 690kb is too big.

The bottom left demonstrates how the file manager makes the desktop menu and panel menu buttons visible while in "seamless mode". I'm wanting to the File Manager window to be at this location and size at startup, if possible.

The top left shows the theme I am currently using. This these does allow for a smaller desktop menu, but I was curious if there is one that is more compact.

Thanks again, I enjoy reading what y'all think if this is possible and, if so, how. I will be searching more and playing around more with settings/themes to see if I can find a solution, if there is a solution.
Last edited by Mitakuye on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mitakuye
Level 1
Level 1

Re: compact desktop menu? startup app location/size?

Post by Mitakuye »

[SOLVED] for Question#2

During my searching, I came across references to wmctrl or xdotool to set a windows size/location. Can either these tools be used at startup? Is there another tool I should explore?

I apologize for the back to back posts. I will stop now. I will just edit this post to share my progress.

Well, I found how to resize/position with xdotool from the terminal, but I am trying to figure how to run this from Startup now.

I entered the below in a file named "startup_launch.sh" then, in the "Startup Applications" windows, had the command refer to this file. Does not work.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sleep 4
xdotool windowmove $(xdotool search --name "Home") 0 646
xdotool windowsize $(xdotool search --name "Home") 480 340
echo Done
EDIT : 15jan2020, 18:39

I got it to work, found my mistake in the Startup Applications. I edited the appropriate item to add "sh" to the beginning of the browse to the command file, so now reads as

sh /pathtofile/Documents/startup_launch.sh
But the positioning is different than what happens in the terminal, so gonna have to do some more testing to find the exact position coordinates I want.

EDIT : 15jan2020, 18:50
Awesome... I've solved my Question #2. will updated my OP

loved learning that xdotool. very simple

EDIT : 16jan2020, 5:15
Well, thought it was fixed, but, once I got everything running this morning, the above script was not moving the window to the desire "0 646" position due to Mint remembering the size of the previous window. While I was working yesterday, I changed the size of the window prior to shutting everything down. So, when I returned this morning, the window was first loaded at the size it was before shutdown. However, the xdotool size command did resize the window properly, except after the xdotool move command moved the window while the window was at the previous size before the xdotool resize command executed. Apparently, the xdotool move command cannot move a window "behind" the menu panel bar so, at the larger window size upon startup, this caused the window to be moved to "0 520" rather than my desired "0 646". So, to fix this, I had to first use the xdotool size command before using the xdotool move command. This change of command order would size the window smaller so that it can be moved to the desired "0 646". So, the lesson learned here is to be sure to have the xdotool move command AFTER the xdotool size command.

Also, the sleep command is important because, depending on the speed of your virtual machine environment, there might be a delay for when the applications actually startup. The sleep command allows the proper applications to automatically startup before executing the script on the desired application. I ran into this issue when the sleep command was set at "4" so now it is "6".

#!/bin/bash
sleep 6
xdotool windowsize $(xdotool search --name "Home") 480 340
xdotool windowmove $(xdotool search --name "Home") 0 646
echo Done
NOW, question #2 is solved. :D

Mitakuye
Level 1
Level 1

Re: compact desktop menu? startup app location/size? [SOLVED kind of ]

Post by Mitakuye »

From my google searching, I came across what I was hoping to gain in Cinnamon, but I can not find a theme that would do this.

Does anybody know of these a theme or menu applet allowing me to have a compact desktop menu, or something similar, to the picture below?

Solution to question #2 appears to be for me to use the latest Mint Xfce edition. Due to its lightweight nature, appears to me to also be more snappy in a VM without dedicating much more memory or processor support, but I would love to use Cinnamon if I can get a more compact desktop.

Return to “Cinnamon”